Man charged with killing couple, stepdaughter

Correction, February 11, 2008: An article Sunday gave an incorrect address for an Augusta man arrested Saturday in the murder of a man, his wife and their stepdaughter. Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove lives in the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive. (Highlight changes)

An Augusta man was arrested on murder charges Saturday in the deaths of a south Augusta man, his wife and his stepdaughter, who authorities say was five months pregnant and whose body was found burned beyond recognition.

Back | Next
Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten (right) watches as a body of a teenager found off Lock and Dam Road is loaded into a hearse.  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff

Adrian Tywan "Goose" Hargrove, 30, of the 3500 block of Edgeworth Drive, was charged with three counts of murder after the bodies of Andrew Hartley, 45, and his wife, Sharon Hartley, 46, were found at their Bennock Mill Road home and Allyson Pederson, 18, was discovered off Lock and Dam Road near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park and Augusta Regional Airport.

Mr. Hargrove's estranged wife informed Richmond County authorities that he arrived at their home with blood-soaked clothing about 11:30 a.m., Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said.

After interviewing the wife, deputies were advised to check a home in the 700 block of Bennock Mill Road, Sheriff Strength said.

Once there, deputies discovered the bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Hartley.

Mr. Hargrove is accused of entering the home unannounced and stabbing the two early Saturday, said county Coroner Grover Tuten.

"The man and the woman were found lying face down in the front bedroom," Mr. Tuten said. "They had been dead for about an hour, and both had multiple stab wounds."

Mr. Hartley, who suffered major stab wounds, likely struggled with his attacker before he was killed, Mr. Tuten said.

After receiving a call about a fire near New Savannah Bluff Lock and Dam Park, authorities discovered Ms. Pederson's burned body, Mr. Tuten said.

After spending most of Saturday afternoon searching for Mr. Hargrove, deputies found him in the woods near Richmond Hill and Bungalow roads, Sheriff Strength said.

The killings are still under investigation, but there could be more arrests to come, the sheriff said. He said a motive was undetermined Saturday.

Friends had been waiting around the Hartleys' home since about 11 a.m., family friend Linda Hobbs said.

Mrs. Hobbs' daughter had been friends with Ms. Pederson since they were students at Cross Creek High School. The Hartleys had lived on Mrs. Hobbs' street for about four years.

"She was nice and everything. She'd do anything for you," Mrs. Hobbs said of Ms. Pederson. "I never thought anything like this would happen in this neighborhood."

Mr. Hartley worked in construction and Mrs. Hartley did not work, Mrs. Hobbs said.

Ms. Pederson had been dating Mr. Hargrove, Mrs. Hobbs said. Police said they have not yet confirmed their relation.

Ms. Pederson was looking forward to her baby's birth and was about to learn the gender, Mrs. Hobbs said.

She said she and her family had a lot of questions Saturday evening.

"I just would like to know what made him snap like that," she said.

Simon Goudeau said he was in shock about the events in his neighborhood. He said he had just seen Mr. Hargrove speaking with his neighbor Saturday morning.

"It's always something on this road, from shootings to break-ins," Mr. Goudeau said. "This is something else, though. It's unbelievable. It's tragic."

Reach Stephanie Toone at (706) 823-3215 or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

keefehowell
keefehowell 02/10/08 - 12:49 am
Another sad day for a family

Another sad day for a family in Augusta.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/10/08 - 01:41 am
A tragic way to handle a

A tragic way to handle a problem.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 07:54 am
RIP, the entire family and I

RIP, the entire family and I hope they burn this guy alive, just like he did that young girl that he was way too old to be fooling with
Scott Peterson comes to mind here.
I think the father wanted this trash to stay away from his daughter, I don't blame him and I believe he killed the parents simply because he did not care what they thought and he deserves to BURN!!

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 07:57 am
Disturbed, you may know him

Disturbed, you may know him but, fact is, he is a cold hearted, no good killer and he deserves death sentence, A slow painful one at that, I have no sympathy and there is NO excuse!
he is a monster.

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 07:59 am
What was he doing fooling

What was he doing fooling with an 18 year old girl?
Making more babies?
He needs to be dealt with
I mean dealt with!!!

peonynut
peonynut 02/10/08 - 08:02 am
Why not charge him with 4

Why not charge him with 4 murders? She was 5 months pregnant.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/10/08 - 08:10 am
Yes, you are so correct. He

Yes, you are so correct. He should be charged with with 4 murders.
Someone I guess needs to let law enforcement know about the laws. Ya think??

byrdc27
byrdc27 02/10/08 - 08:14 am
Disgusted..I don't usually

Disgusted..I don't usually post comments. But your 7:59 comment got me to thinking. When I was a teenager in high school and sent to the office, I would be "dealt with". Then when I got home, I would be "dealt with" by Mother. Then, when Dad came home, I would be "dealt with" again. But 'ya know, I never spent a day in jail, mistreated my family or intentionally hurt anyone's feeling...all because I was "dealt with"!

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 08:41 am
I mean DEALT WITH harshly in

I mean DEALT WITH harshly in PRISON...

DoubleD
DoubleD 02/10/08 - 08:56 am
byrdc27, It is also important

byrdc27, It is also important to show your kids that even though they are being "dealt with" that they are loved. When I spank my son I always explain exactly why I spanked him and that I love him. My father was like that and it made a huge difference. I remember one time in school I was tempted to take some money from his money box, but I could never do something to hurt him like that. Everything I do to this day I always think to myself about what my father might think of it. Of course being a man, sometimes his opinion doesn't matter and I have to learn things for myselft. Thanks for letting me ramble on. Take care AUG.

slo4sho
slo4sho 02/10/08 - 09:00 am
richmond county law

richmond county law enforcement. what's up with the other murder charge?dah,remember she was pregnant......5 months.did this child not have a heart beat? It did before this monster decided to take it away.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 02/10/08 - 09:13 am
Animals like this don't need

Animals like this don't need to be "dealt with" in prison...they need to be executed. And promptly.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/10/08 - 09:42 am
Why should the public be

Why should the public be responsible for his upkeep? He should be
put to death. Exactly what could be cruel punishment considering he took FOUR lives? It should be done right away and not some long time in the future, after the innocent taxpayers have paid for him to live for twenty or thirty more years.

DesireChange
DesireChange 02/10/08 - 09:51 am
I do not know what really

I do not know what really happened here, but as parents we need to teach our kids morals. It is not this girls fault that she's dead, but she should not have dated a married man. It does not matter if he was with his wife or not he is still a married man. Did she know why he wasn't with his wife, was it mental illness? We need to respect marriage and God's arrangements.

funksgirl3
funksgirl3 02/10/08 - 10:09 am
There is testing that the

There is testing that the Crime lab has to do on the 18 year old girl's body to "prove" certain facts before he can be charged in the 4th murder. You have to, by law, prove without a doubt the facts of the case. You don't want him getting off on any of the murders on a technicality. Whether or not we, as a public, believe something to be true, and think that by default he should be charged for a baby's murder, it has to be without a doubt in the case brought before the judge. It's backwards, I know, but will get him convicted in the long run. Watch over the next couple of days and see if he isn't charged with a fetus' murder too.

Walden
Walden 02/10/08 - 10:12 am
The autopsy has to determine

The autopsy has to determine if the child could survive outside of the womb before a murder charge could apply. If it could not survive it is considered feticide. I am pretty sure law enforcement is aware of that. Obviously some of you dont know the law like you think you do.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/10/08 - 10:16 am
Please don't call any

Please don't call any criminal an "animal" - it is an insult to the animal world! Animals don't do things like that!

wino5353
wino5353 02/10/08 - 10:19 am
This guy has already been in

This guy has already been in jail for an array of charges and was released march 2006. A 30 year old man with a pregnant 18 year old girl. Also I'm not sure of the validty but a neighbor made the comment in one article that he believed the girl lived with this guy up until a couple of months ago when she moved home.. What is this world coming to that we have 18 year olds (or younger depending on when/if she lived with him) dating 30 year olds. Regardless, this is a horrible tragedy. Lock him up and throw away the key.

funksgirl3
funksgirl3 02/10/08 - 10:24 am
Thank you invfriend. Law

Thank you invfriend. Law sometimes is hard to follow unless you are a criminal justice student or a law student. Glad to know some people have a good handle on it.

elisue53
elisue53 02/10/08 - 10:26 am
Tired... You mentioned that

Tired... You mentioned that it's not the 18yo girls fault for being killed but that she shouldn't have been fooling around with a married man. Do you think that married man had second thoughts about his wfe? The girl being the youngest isn't as accountable as the 30yo man! And do we even know that this man is the father of her child? I would leave this in God's hand to judge... not me.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/10/08 - 10:28 am
The news media should not

The news media should not pick up every snippet of information they can wrangle out of neighbors and print it! Get the facts, THEN print!!!

funksgirl3
funksgirl3 02/10/08 - 10:30 am
elisue, until he gets to God,

elisue, until he gets to God, we know this... whether or not the baby was his, he killed 4 people. We have systems set up to deal with people like this. And our Judicial system, no matter how fractured will keep him away from the rest of society until God CAN deal with him. Thank your lucky stars you DON'T have to judge him. But be glad there is someone who has taken on the responsibility to judge him here on earth, or he would be walking around. Maybe next to you.

Waymore
Waymore 02/10/08 - 10:32 am
To all you cyberspace

To all you cyberspace attorneys out there: the correct charge for killing the unborn child, which will probably be added when an autopsy is completed, is feticide. That is the law. If you want the law to be changed to murder when a person causes the death of an unborn child, contact you represnetitives. All law enforcement can do is enforce the laws they appear on the books. 16-5-80. Look it up.

funksgirl3
funksgirl3 02/10/08 - 10:41 am
Waymore, using the term

Waymore, using the term "murder" is easier when you are talking in here. You are right.... feticide... but how many people in here know the difference? Glad to know you are schooled though. Takes the pressure off. LOL

Waymore
Waymore 02/10/08 - 10:49 am
I'm glad I could do my part

I'm glad I could do my part to relieve the pressure!

funksgirl3
funksgirl3 02/10/08 - 11:00 am
Waymore.... :) Thanks!

Waymore.... :)
Thanks!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 02/10/08 - 12:07 pm
Seems like the least costly

Seems like the least costly solution to this is to let him get shot while trying to "escape". It would save the taxpayer a lot of money, but, we have to go through the motions!!

pursesshoes all day
pursesshoes all day 02/10/08 - 12:42 pm
he went from pedophilia to

he went from pedophilia to mass murder, what a piece of crap! another peterson, at least robert blake waited til the baby was born

Just Me2
Just Me2 02/10/08 - 01:18 pm
Maybe her dad was trying to

Maybe her dad was trying to keep this trash away from his daughter, I remember my dad stepping in and it is sick to think that a father is dead for maybe trying to protect his child.
That PIG should rot!
he had no buisness with that lil girl and YES, I have a friend whi is a neighbor out there, he WAS messing with that lil girl...That poor baby probably looked at by this PIG as just some more child support he would have had to pay
But, then again, these types don't pay do they? We tax payers usually do...
Burn his azz.

nykeisha
nykeisha 02/10/08 - 01:27 pm
well i know what was done was

well i know what was done was wrong,but there is 2 sides to each story and yes i know this guy and i'm not saying that cause i know him but you can not just execute someone when something happens you have to go by the law.he is innocent until proven guilty.do yall watch 48 hour.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen