Fleming's brother faces drug trafficking charges

The brother of state Rep. Barry Fleming is under indictment in federal and state courts on charges of trafficking in methamphetamine.

James Tyler Fleming, 53, is in the Richmond County jail awaiting trial. He was arrested Sept. 10 and charged with possessing more than 200 grams of methamphetamine.

Mr. Fleming faces a minimum 10-year prison sentence if convicted in Richmond County Superior Court. He faces charges that can be punished by 10 years to life in prison if convicted in U.S. District Court.

"I have seen firsthand what drug addiction can do to someone's life," his brother, Barry, said Thursday in his Atlanta office.

"It has made me want to redouble my efforts to not only help people get out of drug addiction because it can ruin your life but also, as a lawmaker, make me want to do everything I can to pass laws to stop the infiltration of illicit drugs in our society, whether it be marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, you name it."

Barry Fleming, the Republican majority whip, has served in the state House of Representatives since 2002. He is challenging U.S. Rep. Paul Broun for the 10th Congressional District seat later this year.

In the Georgia House, Mr. Fleming serves on several committees, including the judiciary committee. Among the legislation he has sponsored is House Bill 793, which seeks to establish a Georgia Methamphetamine Offender Registry.

James Fleming faces trafficking and conspiracy charges in federal court with several others, including Marya Tapp.

Ms. Tapp, who already had one drug conviction, cooperated with authorities after a second arrest on drug charges in July, and she helped agents make other arrests.

Her case has developed several twists with prosecutors and defense attorneys trading allegations of misconduct.

The lead investigator in the case was forced to resign in November when he admitted he was having an affair with Ms. Tapp while she was working as a confidential informant.

Because of that revelation, the charges are on hold against James Fleming and five others who were indicted with Ms. Tapp in October.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/08/08 - 03:27 am
Sounds like he will get off

Sounds like he will get off scott free. And Mr State Rep "marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine" are not all created equal. Marijuana is not addictive, and only leads to cocaine and methamphetamine use because they are all illegal. If marijuana was made legal or decriminalized there would be alot less crime on our streerts. Look at The Netherlands as an example.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/08/08 - 07:20 am
Rep. Flemming's addiction to

Rep. Flemming's addiction to alcohol isn't on his list of all of those really bad drugs. His driving record tells on him though. Seems it's a family thing.

getalife
getalife 02/08/08 - 07:44 am
I had not read of Rep.

I had not read of Rep. driving record, I thought it was Ben Harbin with the DUI. Making these drugs legal would only create more drug users, not less. They are after the highs, not because it is illegal!!

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/08/08 - 07:55 am
Jimmy Fleming has been

Jimmy Fleming has been through this before and his family suffered so it's nothing new. I really don't think he'll get off this time either. I so feel for his family. Some people never change, but you can't judge the rest of his family for his behavior.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/08/08 - 08:15 am
He does not have to worry, he

He does not have to worry, he can just use the Harbin excuse.

wise ole man
wise ole man 02/08/08 - 08:18 am
I don't believe

I don't believe Patriciathomas is correct in her statement. Barry does not have a DUI- Ben does- wrong "B". I admire Barry for not trying to cover this up. He and his family have had to endure a lot in the past but because they are strong people, they will overcome this also. Barry can use this personal experience to assist in getting laws passed to assist with families of drug addicts. i do hope that this was not a ploy on Dr. Brown's part to discredit Barry in the upcoming election. Jimmy by no means represents the person Barry is.

fd1962
fd1962 02/08/08 - 08:45 am
Now, now... Patricia is not

Now, now... Patricia is not always right, but she is never wrong.

dani
dani 02/08/08 - 09:40 am
I have problems with the

I have problems with the family being blamed for the wrong-doing of a 53 year old family member. If we are to enforce this standard then most of us are in trouble.

read this
read this 02/08/08 - 09:53 am
True. Barry should be

True. Barry should be measured by his record with the Governor and MCG, not his brother's record. I don't think Barry is found on the "Sonny Do List."

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 02/08/08 - 09:56 am
pot should have been

pot should have been decrimminalized eons ago....the money and time wasted on this prohibition has been wasted.the efforts of police and others could be better spent.....

goodperson
goodperson 02/08/08 - 10:05 am
Mr. Fleming's reputation is

Mr. Fleming's reputation is impeccable!! You cannot judge someone for the acts of their 53 year old brother.

goodperson
goodperson 02/08/08 - 10:05 am
Mr. Fleming's reputation is

WW1949
WW1949 02/08/08 - 10:13 am
I believe every family has

I believe every family has some member who is always outside of the law. Don't try to tie the outsider to the good members of the family. It is not right and those that do are just short sighted.

watching
watching 02/08/08 - 10:46 am
WHERE ARE THE

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If State Rep. Fleming were a Dem, you folks at the AC would have them both on the FRONT PAGE!!!!

Mr_Chin
Mr_Chin 02/08/08 - 11:00 am
Very true....watching!!!

Very true....watching!!! Where are the pics?!

watching
watching 02/08/08 - 11:28 am
BTW, 200 grams is alot of

BTW, 200 grams is alot of drugs!!! From reading State Rep. Barry Fleming's comments in above article he is insinuating that the drugs was his brother's personal stash or something. He got caught with 200 grams; an additional 300 grams would be 1/2 kilo...not a personal stash by far; looks more like a drug distribution business to me.

GSneed
GSneed 02/08/08 - 12:36 pm
Show me his FACE!

Show me his FACE!

Mulanrouge25
Mulanrouge25 02/08/08 - 01:06 pm
Why is this just now being

Why is this just now being printed in the paper? Tapp was arrested on 1/11/07 and Fleming in 09/07!! I understand it's election time but this is ridiculous! And I certainly agree with the Show me his face how about Tapps too since he only served 30 days in county for 2 counts one of which he was not prosecuted for and the other he used First Offender on?? Sure the July charges were dismissed due to him being an informant notice I said HE the article stated Tapp is a she well the arrest record states HE so that would more than likely explain the no picture! Further more in my opinion and this is just my opinion but if the Augusta Chronicle is going to print article such as these the facts need to be completely accurate when there are politicians involved in the families of the accused because even the slightest misrepresentation of something can make a difference come election time. Weather or not "Tapp" is an undercover narcotics officer or simply an informant I do not think it is wise to publish this type of information because you never know who's life your endangering! Also Fleming was indicted in Dec not Oct! Sounds like BS to me!!

marley
marley 02/08/08 - 01:30 pm
Mulanrouge25 - there have

Mulanrouge25 - there have been several articles in the paper about this case dealing with Marya Tapp. SHE is a drug dealer that was arrested and then turned informant to help her case. However in the process she initiated an affair with the lead investigator ruined his marriage and career plus has tried to ruin the reputation of the Lead Prosecutor. I for see all these people getting off before it's all said and done.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/08/08 - 02:45 pm
Either enforce the laws

Either enforce the laws consistently or legalize all the presently illegal drugs so we can regulate them, quality control them, price them so we can set up programs to get addicts help. This way people that finally realize they need help will not be afraid to get it. Or people that care about them can do interventions without risking the wrath of criminals that are using the addicts.

owensjef
owensjef 02/08/08 - 04:25 pm
200 grams of Meth, personal,

200 grams of Meth, personal, come on here noW!

idontthinkso
idontthinkso 02/08/08 - 06:11 pm
200 Grams is hardly personal,

200 Grams is hardly personal, an the way I see it when you have D.E.A agents out there having "relations" with female informants cheating on there wives manufacturing fake meth to plant on suspects in addition to counterfiting money. That makes you a criminal as well I want to know how long is Sheriff Ronnie Strength going to stand for this down at Richmond County Narcotics! Gentlemen time to clean house!!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/08/08 - 06:22 pm
idontthinkso, where'd you get

idontthinkso, where'd you get your info? They have been cleaning house apparently. Starting with Ralph TYRONE Williams, Matthue Phares and James Tredore. I forget if Joe Ellick was in vice and narcotics, too. Any I missed? I don't know what's going on, but I hope the people that are left are impeccable. I am sorry these people have fallen. I wanted to trust them.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/08/08 - 08:01 pm
I see my comment was removed

I see my comment was removed this morning, It must have been because of the wrong statement I made about Barry Fleming. I was thinking about Ben Harbin when I made my snide little post and wound up looking foolish. My apologies to Mr Fleming for my mistake. In my defense, if I didn't make an occasional faux pas or wrong deduction, I'd probably loose this humble demeanor I maintain.

idontthinkso
idontthinkso 02/08/08 - 08:19 pm
You know the old saying for

You know the old saying for every roach you see there are are 100 more you don't, the same applies here. If I were Sheriff Strength I would start to wonder what else is going on down there, and would want to start asking questions. Begining with who was the Richmond County officer working the case with Jim Tredore, because if he was D.E.A then you had to have someone from Narcotics working with him! He didn't do all this on his own! Hmmm..... Do I smell I cover up?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/08/08 - 08:32 pm
baroness, excellent 1:45

baroness, excellent 1:45 post. I agree.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/09/08 - 09:08 am
thanks pt

thanks pt

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/09/08 - 09:12 am
I realize what a mess it

I realize what a mess it would be to decriminalize the drug trade/possession scenarios but we are in a huge mess now. Any attempt here to say what needs to be done to change things would be by nature of these posts, an oversimplification. There are no simple answers.

itcouldhappen
itcouldhappen 02/11/08 - 05:49 pm
Don't be so quick to judge

Don't be so quick to judge Jimmy Fleming this time. He would be an easy target having been in trouble before for a narcotics agent that is sleeping with a drug user/dealer to set up to be another feather in her cap. This whole case may fall apart and if it does, it's because the "law" didn't follow the rules and creates enough "reasonable doubt" not to convict. I personally would rather see Jimmy Fleming go free if he's guilty, than be convicted if he's not. This is one of those cases where its hard to tell who all the real criminals are.

mindyourbusiness
mindyourbusiness 02/27/08 - 12:29 pm
Marya Tapp needs to stay in

Marya Tapp needs to stay in jail for 100 years because of how she lured that officer. Remember he has a family as well. God will take care of him and his family. She is as low as a woman can be.