County Dem leader gets it wrong again

Well, well, well. I see Lowell Greenbaum is at it again. It absolutely amazes me how the Democratic Party in Augusta can put up with his rants. Now, he is blaming the latest financial mess our nation faces on, who else, President Bush and those rascal Republicans ("News flash: The economy is tanking," Jan. 30).

Greenbaum blames the Bush administration for not regulating the subprime mortgages. News flash for Chairman Greenbaum: It isn't the president's job to regulate! Unless there has been a big change in the duties of our different branches of government, it is the job of Congress to pass legislation to regulate the actions of business. Didn't they teach him that in school? Next, he'll blame Bush for the birth of ugly babies!

Since Greenbaum obviously doesn't get it, I'll break it down for him. Congress, now led by his "compassionate" Democratic Party, has the ultimate power over our lives, the passage of laws and regulations, thus explaining why the messes we face in this nation have gotten worse! Is he seeing the light now?

Greenbaum states that the economic aid package that is currently being touted in Congress will hold our economy over until November, when Democrats will win, putting a stop to the war -- which Hillary voted for -- and the debt. If they do win, given the massive government programs that both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are proposing, the only thing that will end will be our economy!

When that happens, everyone will suffer -- Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals. Then who will Chairman Greenbaum blame?

Charles Kimbrough, Sylvania

dani
dani 02/08/08 - 07:09 am
Mr Kimbrough. He will

Mr Kimbrough. He will continue to blame George Bush, of course. They will ride this horse for years to come.

Republicant
Republicant 02/08/08 - 09:32 am
As much as I dislike

As much as I dislike Greenbaum, I will say in his defense that Bush has usurped powers from the legislative branch during his tenure. From his refusal to be bound by legislation via a signing statement on the bill stating his refusal, to making up implied powers of the executive branch in order to get things done. Refusal to acknowledge oversight authority of classified documents in the V.P.'s , to complaining publicly of Congress running backdoor operations by holding 30 second congressional sessions in order to stop him from running backdoor appointments while they are on break, there is no end to Bush's arrogance or lust for power. Thankfully, there will be much gnashing of conservative teeth once a democrat takes office and restores this country to former glory. I look forward to the vitriol that will spew out of the collective conservative mouth.
It will make for some excellent taunting.

pofwe
pofwe 02/08/08 - 09:35 am
Most everybody but, Lowell

Most everybody but, Lowell Greenbaum, knows that he is full of malarky. Most die-hard democrats are ... full of malarky.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/08/08 - 09:56 am
The president does bear some

The president does bear some responsibility for this economy.Gas prices, the mortgage crises, this president has failed to take the lead in helping to solve some of these issues.He clearly is not the leader we need at this time in our nations history. The Supreme Court and his supporters owe the world an apology.

accuracyplease
accuracyplease 02/08/08 - 09:56 am
"the only thing that will end

"the only thing that will end will be our economy!" I hate to break the bad news, but the economy is already tanking. If you have a stock portfolio have a look at your monthly statement and see where the stock value has dropped dramatically. This is the direct result of Bush's failed economic policies and the huge drain on the Treasury, thanks to the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan that cannot be won. At best they will "end" just as the Korean conflict did. What a huge waste of human life and your tax dollars. Bush never saw a spending bill he didn't like as long as there was a Republican majority in Congress for the first 6 years. Bush=Worst.President.Ever.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/08/08 - 10:12 am
Bush is not the first

Bush is not the first president seeking to expand executive branch authority and such is the evolution of our government. This is probably good as both the legislative and judicial branches also seek to expand their powers. Congress (both Dem and Rep) is the most lustful and holds the most direct influence over all of our lives. Given the behavior of Dem and their blatant disrespect for the office of the President and other shannanigans I assume the Rep will now stoop to a new low tit for tat. Given the Dem long record in Congress, the notion that the Dem are going to fly in like superman and save the day is just plain delusional. Giving the full reins of a Dem president and Dem congress is really a scary proposition relating to a balance of power, as we have just seen with the Rep at the helm. I think we can expect the Dem to be just as arrogant, lustful. and corrupt and like the Rep place bandaids on gushing arteries bleeding us to death. I vote for a nationwide strike of paying no taxes. A vote of no confidence these jack[filtered word]e$ will spend our money wisely. They can't arrest everyone in the country-hell they can't arrest a few million illegal immigrants. The Dem used temporarily holding back funds as a political tool in the war so it seems fair game for us to try it.

Republicant
Republicant 02/08/08 - 10:16 am
Most of this started with the

Most of this started with the dems playing tit for tat on bush because of the reps. treatment of clinton. I have no doubt that a dem. president will be just as bad. Actually if you stay on here for a couple of years I will probably start posting with a disparaging democrat screen name.

dashiel
dashiel 02/08/08 - 10:18 am
It wasn't Congress that

It wasn't Congress that airlifted 363 tons of U.S. currency to Iraq and handed it out--unaccounted for--like parade candy. It wasn't Congress that retained Rumsfeld long after he'd bungled every phase of the invasion with just enough troops to lose. And it wasn't Congress that established Bush-Cheney's secret energy policy, though I think we all know by now what THAT secret was! Congress sucked long before the midterm elections. Georgia's main contribution was two rubberstamping senators. You could carve better men out of a couple of eclairs.

Bizarro
Bizarro 02/08/08 - 10:25 am
ROFLMAO!That is funny

ROFLMAO!That is funny Republicant and true. I agree with dashiel that the executive branch needs some legislative involvment with foreign affairs. Foreign affairs has been the sole responsiblity of the executive branch and it is time to add some balance. I don't agree with the money with give to Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Saudia Arabia, etc. Billions of dollars of our friggin money stuck up a pigs behind. I guess we have to buy our friends. How appropriate just like our government being bought by outside influences and lobbies.

reddog
reddog 02/08/08 - 10:46 am
I just know that I have loss

I just know that I have loss almost 20,000.00 dollars in investments in the last 5-6 months. I just know that I cringe everytime I have to pull into a gas station. I just know that we don't eat out anymore and that groceries that use to cost me 100.00 dollars now cost 140.00 dollars the same darn groceries. I just know that houses are for sale all through my subdivision. I just know that the trip to visit my elderly parents in Charleston now cost 100.00 in gas and it use to cost 50.00 dollars--so we don't visit as often. I know that all of this happened in the last few years. Blame it on Clinton, Karma, Congress or Bush-- I don't care. I know while the rest of us are eating beans every night they will be dining off our dime in luxury.

dani
dani 02/08/08 - 11:27 am
I lost more than $25,000 in

I lost more than $25,000 in the year before Clinton left office. It was tanking then also. It happens when there is political instability such as electing a new president.

rufus
rufus 02/08/08 - 01:30 pm
You have to look at

You have to look at percentages not dollars.

grouse
grouse 02/08/08 - 01:35 pm
Another silly letter.

Another silly letter. Congress doesn't have the votes to effect any real change, and the Republicans have been in power for the majority of the Bush administration. The money spent on the invasion trumps anything that might be spent for the good of citizenry.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/08/08 - 03:58 pm
Bush was better than the

Bush was better than the alternative.

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/08/08 - 04:17 pm
RCR, the president does not

RCR, the president does not set gas prices. I mean, I'm sorry, I know that it is a closely-held belief on the left that there a star chamber somewhere that sits in a room and decides what petroleum will cost, but it is simply not true. People are buying up futures contracts because they see what's happening in China/India and realize that the price has nowhere to go but up; that's making the market go high NOW, even in advance of some of the effects that they are predicting. The president also does not go convince people to put zero dollars down on an interest-only mortgage for a house for which the interest payments amount to 30% of their income. In fact, the president is NOW supporting the measures that the left wants, which will do nothing but convince MORE low-income people that they should go buy a house they can't afford. This happened, in large part, because banks for decades were accused of racism when they tried to limit their exposure to low-income borrowers who would not be able to keep up w/their mortgages, even though "low income" does not mean "minorities." The threat of legislative action from the left, led them to the practices that now have them in trouble.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 02/08/08 - 04:53 pm
Since the prices of metals

Since the prices of metals are rising, and our economy is struggling, you may want to search your pennies and look for 1982 and prior so you can melt down the copper (now at $3.27/lb) and get your real money back out of it. If the economy keeps going in this direction, you will find the mint actually making more steel pennies due to this war. This last happened in 1940's, and I predict the government will again practice their law to make valuable metals illegal to own (done during the great depression--1930's and early 1940's).

Missing teen found dead

The body of Nicholas Charles Dunn, 18, was found Tuesday in the woods behind Cross Creek High School, according to a statement from Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen.