Mom says officers used excessive force at school

Two Richmond County school public safety officers are under investigation after being accused of using excessive force against a student in their custody.

Charmaine Wilkerson said the officers used "brutality" in arresting her 18-year-old son at the Jan. 26 Josey High School basketball game, where he was on a date with his girlfriend.

Public Safety Director Julia Porter-Stein confirmed the internal affairs investigation but declined to comment further. Through his secretary, Superintendent Dana Bedden also declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing.

David Wilkerson had parked in a handicapped spot but felt guilty after going into the game, his mother said.

He left the game to move his car, but she said that when he tried to re-enter, an officer prevented him from doing so and an argument ensued. The officer then called for backup.

"While in their custody, they beat him up while handcuffed," Mrs. Wilkerson said.

Her son, who was charged with disorderly conduct, suffered injuries that included burns, bruises and an injured shoulder, she said.

She was unsure what caused the burns but said he required medical care for his injuries.

She also accused the officers of using abusive language, including racial slurs, to humiliate David and of taking $10 from him when patting him down for drugs.

Earlier this school year, an internal investigation found that an officer at the Academy of Richmond County acted inappropriately and used excessive force with a female student who had been handcuffed.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

JackReacher
JackReacher 02/06/08 - 07:22 pm
SilentJ This may have been

SilentJ
This may have been before your time, but Officer Mike Stephenson was killed in the line of duty while working nights with RCBOE, Thier job doesn't stop when the school bell rings.
Peace be with you

jamesreed
jamesreed 02/06/08 - 08:10 pm
REVELATION187,

REVELATION187, "irregardless" is not a word

dani
dani 02/06/08 - 08:12 pm
I wonder why any person would

I wonder why any person would subject himself to this type of treatment by joining law enforcement. Now, the offcer is suspended, will have to go through a proceedure to see if he is to blame,---- and for what? To be demonized by the very people that he is trying to protect.

RainInGa
RainInGa 02/06/08 - 10:35 pm
RCBOE police do not use

RCBOE police do not use excessive force. Josey and Laney High Schools have a diverse population of students with the larger percent being good kids. It is clearly against the law anywhere in the US to park in a handicapped park without proper qualification. It is a clear-cut rule that there is no re-entry to school events, and ALL students know the rule. Racial slurs are always inappropriate. Those are the FACTS folks.

KSL
KSL 02/07/08 - 01:46 am
Medical care could amount to

Medical care could amount to nothing more than treating abrasions and contusions with ointment. Did he resist arrest after mouthing off?

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/07/08 - 02:10 am
Why did the mother allow him

Why did the mother allow him to park in a hadicap spcae in the first place? Bad parenteing skills to begin with. He probably went out to smoke a joint and was cocky when he tried to get back in. The parent should be arrested or fined.

adam
adam 02/07/08 - 03:09 am
No,I am not crippled.And I

No,I am not crippled.And I have no sympathy or concern for blatant law breakers.This whole situation would never have happened except for this young mans total disregard for the law,which was most likely instilled in him from an early age by his parent. Great job,Mom,Hope your very proud.I hope his girlfriend is smart enough to kick his sorry law-breaking behind to the curb.GOOD JOB RCBOE officers. Some of us Hard working,tax-payers DO APPRECIATE you.

Rose
Rose 02/07/08 - 07:41 am
FedupwithAUG,Why did the

FedupwithAUG,Why did the mother allow him? He is 18 yrs old. He is an adult.

Rose
Rose 02/07/08 - 07:43 am
Why in the world would the

Why in the world would the parent be arrested for what her adult son did. Your brain is out of focus here.It needs an overhaul.

Rose
Rose 02/07/08 - 07:44 am
We don't know what happened

We don't know what happened yet.We can only speculate.

WW1949
WW1949 02/07/08 - 10:32 am
GADAWG143, I doubt the

GADAWG143, I doubt the schools will have to close but I am glad you are defending the police officer. When I graduated from Richmond Academy in 1967 we did not need Board of Education Police because we had respect for the school, the teachers and everything around us. We did not carry guns and resort to shooting or cutting when an arguement arose. We fussed at each other and then it was over. An occasional fist fight broke out but only between two people and not a gang of fighters. We were taught to be respectful by our parents and spanked at a young age for wrong doings. We also had high school fratennity's and high school soroity's that sponsered dances at the National Guard Armory, Julian Smith Casion and the Richmond Hotel. Times were good in high school back then and I enjoyed everything about that time in my life. It is too bad that the students of today can't have the same thing as we did. I think it made us better people and more well rounded as adults.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/07/08 - 12:10 pm
ADAMs, I guess YOU know this

ADAMs, I guess YOU know this person Mother?

426Hemi
426Hemi 02/07/08 - 12:18 pm
jamesreed, go to the

jamesreed, go to the dictionary and look up "irregardless." Yepper (yes,), it IS a word, recognized by Websters' Lexicographers. look that on up while yer at it.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/07/08 - 03:07 pm
You didn't say he was a

You didn't say he was a victim... but implied it IMO, so I just pointed out the fact if injuries exist it proves nothing........"If he had to be treated at a hospital, then he got the injuries from somewhere. He was wrong in parking where he did, and the cop was wrong in inuring him." these are your exact words that gave me the idea you thought he may be a victim... and he may be.. I just said the injuries don't prove anything if he caused them and the cops may not have been wrong at all... injuries or not..

str8truth
str8truth 02/07/08 - 03:54 pm
Thanx 426hemi....I knew I was

Thanx 426hemi....I knew I was correct so I never responded to jamesreed.

dani
dani 02/07/08 - 05:00 pm
Folks, irregardless means the

Folks, irregardless means the same as regardless, therefore it adds nothing to the meaning you are addressing.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/08/08 - 03:15 pm
Dani, maybe its just more fun

Dani, maybe its just more fun to write and say irregardless than regardless. I know a lot of people say it tongue in cheek or for emphasis. How many people say "disoriented" instead of the more correct "disorientated"? I really don't know anyone that says disorientated. English is a tricky language.

KSL
KSL 02/08/08 - 06:02 pm
Regardless of irregardless

Regardless of irregardless appearing in the dictionary, we were not allowed to use it in English class or any other formal writing for that matter. It probably appears now in the dictionary just because it is commonly used in speech. From Dictionary.com: Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.