Mom says officers used excessive force at school

Two Richmond County school public safety officers are under investigation after being accused of using excessive force against a student in their custody.

Charmaine Wilkerson said the officers used "brutality" in arresting her 18-year-old son at the Jan. 26 Josey High School basketball game, where he was on a date with his girlfriend.

Public Safety Director Julia Porter-Stein confirmed the internal affairs investigation but declined to comment further. Through his secretary, Superintendent Dana Bedden also declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing.

David Wilkerson had parked in a handicapped spot but felt guilty after going into the game, his mother said.

He left the game to move his car, but she said that when he tried to re-enter, an officer prevented him from doing so and an argument ensued. The officer then called for backup.

"While in their custody, they beat him up while handcuffed," Mrs. Wilkerson said.

Her son, who was charged with disorderly conduct, suffered injuries that included burns, bruises and an injured shoulder, she said.

She was unsure what caused the burns but said he required medical care for his injuries.

She also accused the officers of using abusive language, including racial slurs, to humiliate David and of taking $10 from him when patting him down for drugs.

Earlier this school year, an internal investigation found that an officer at the Academy of Richmond County acted inappropriately and used excessive force with a female student who had been handcuffed.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

adam
adam 02/06/08 - 05:09 am
They should have crippled

They should have crippled him.Then he could feel better about parking in a handicap spot.

me1
me1 02/06/08 - 06:08 am
Maybe when the BOE releases

Maybe when the BOE releases their findings it will be more clear what actually happened.

Rupret in the middle east
Rupret in the middle east 02/06/08 - 07:02 am
Just like good parents that

Just like good parents that don't know their kid. The young man got out of control and they took him down. Now here come the parents, my son is a good kid, he never do anything wrong. It is better to taught a lesson there than to be taught one in the pen. If junior mouth off at the cops, I think he don't have respect for authority and he probably don't have any for his parents to. It is a dangerous job out there with this new generation, maybe the parents wish the cops lose their job or get sued. Respect goes a long ways, I think junior just got his first lesson. Mom should have given him the first, but it is what it is.

areyoukiddinme
areyoukiddinme 02/06/08 - 07:19 am
me1- I agree w/ you. Perhaps

me1- I agree w/ you. Perhaps the young man got a case of the bad *** and they put him in his place. I'm interested to see the findings of the ia investigation...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/06/08 - 07:20 am
While 18 year old "men" are

While 18 year old "men" are often bombs ready to explode, I think me1 has it right. This article doesn't really give much information.

catfish20
catfish20 02/06/08 - 07:41 am
I think there is more to the

I think there is more to the story...got the case of the guilts for parking in a handicapped space? Oh please...Don't think so. He probably went to the car for another reason and the BOE did their job.

Martinez
Martinez 02/06/08 - 07:44 am
There are "no re-entry" rules

There are "no re-entry" rules at nearly all school sporting events. The problem seems to have started when he left and tried to come back. Sounds to me like junior has a problem with rules, starting with parking illegally and then expecting to be allowed back in the game. But I am sure despite his disrespect for rules, he was completely respectful and undeserving of any negative treatment by the officers......

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/06/08 - 07:45 am
Kids have to be spanked. If

Kids have to be spanked. If parents don't do it when they're young, the cops have to do it when they're older.

CEOLlimelight
CEOLlimelight 02/06/08 - 07:48 am
Well for your information

Well for your information please speak when you know the facts and the mother is correct I happened to attend that Josey and Laney game. And this rent a cop was out line and he did this in front of children. I happened to have my daughters with me at the time it this occurred and how can i tell them they are to protect and serve when they beat on us for no reason. SO Adam and Rupret leave the bull**** comments under your hoods.

Thefuturist
Thefuturist 02/06/08 - 08:04 am
WhiskyDick I totally agree. I

WhiskyDick I totally agree. I was raised in the same house as my brother and sister under the same rules and discipline. I am the only one to graduate high school, the only one never to go to jail. Point being, not always the parents fault when a child strays...

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 02/06/08 - 08:04 am
I don't see why he couldn't

I don't see why he couldn't have been moving his car from a handicapped space, although maybe for fear of a ticket. And if he was handcuffed they had no right to teach him anything. They should have crippled him, how much would that statement change if this were your kid.

workingmom
workingmom 02/06/08 - 08:08 am
I would like to know the good

I would like to know the good reason this child parked in a handicapped parking spot? I'm sure it wasn't his fault. Whether the officer used excessive force is yet to be seen. If the investigation shows this, then the officer will have consequences. I'm tired of parents always coming to the defense of their children and blaming someone else for the child's actions. How are children supposed to learn how to handle conflicts in their lives if they are always convinced they are a victim?

SilentJ
SilentJ 02/06/08 - 08:14 am
I bet he wont park in a

I bet he wont park in a handicapped spot again!I know this is off topic but every once in a while I will see A BOE police car out at night driving around I wonder why on earth he is out driving that car well after school has been let out.

sliique
sliique 02/06/08 - 08:19 am
Amen, CEOLimeLight!!!!

Amen, CEOLimeLight!!!! Rent-a-cops or otherwise, far too many "cops," let that badge go to their head, get intoxicated with their "authority." Then, when caught and dealt with, they wanna cry, "I got PSTS." If they do, why dont they resign, before they step over the line? Simple....The "authority & power", they have, real or perceived, wont let them.

whynot2
whynot2 02/06/08 - 08:21 am
The BOE Police patrol schools

The BOE Police patrol schools during the day and after hours, make sure doors are locked and they used to, not sure if they still do answer alarm calls at the schools. Not all of them work school hours. Plus they also work school functions ex:basketball,football etc...

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 08:33 am
First, in the eyes of the

First, in the eyes of the law, an 18 year old is not a child. Parking in a handicapped parking place is a wanton disregard of the law. Has anyone mentioned that this "child" has numerous gang tattoos on his body? Or, that this is not the first time allegations have been loded against Officers by this "childs" mother? That just yesterday this "child" was caught stealing items at his home school? Our educational institutions are in a state of chaos. Gang infiltration is rampant. Think about the taxpayer money wasted with all these bomb threats. These are children also. It is time to take back our schools, for the children who arethere to learn. President Bush said "no child left behind". Not "no adult"!

CSRAman88888
CSRAman88888 02/06/08 - 08:37 am
I think I will wait to hear

I think I will wait to hear the "other" side of the story before drawing any conclusions. You will have to pardon me for being skeptical of the mother's objectivity.

areyoukiddinme
areyoukiddinme 02/06/08 - 08:37 am
Did this school have a camera

Did this school have a camera system as most do? Let's see the tape see if he was "beaten while cuffed"... If so, then they're outta line in their actions. However, if he resisted and they used force to subdue him, that paints a different picture doesn't it?

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 02/06/08 - 08:43 am
Yet ANOTHER story for Augusta

Yet ANOTHER story for Augusta to BASH THE POLICE! Maybe one day people will realize, cops do the job that none of you want to do. You run away from confrontations or call them when your brother takes you last pack of cigarettes and then bash them every chance you get. Come on people get real. Just because he may have been handcuffed doesn't mean he wasn't still resisting. Just because a person is cuffed doesn't mean they can't spit, or kick or use their legs to continue to resist. And if he felt guilty about his parking choice, why didn't he talk to an officer before he left the game in the first place? I am positive that if you ask first, and explain the situation, this type of thing wouldn't happen. No re-entry policy or not. Besides it is a $500 fine for parking in a handicap space. That may have been a factor for his "guilt". I say Whatever mom, he is 18 and considered an adult. He is old enough to fight his own fight on this issue. He wants to act grown let him be grown and get out of this. I am so tired of these stories. Again a reason to BASH COPS!

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 08:50 am
Lets be real, these Officers

Lets be real, these Officers are not "rent-a-cops". They are state certified peace officers tasked with enforcing the law. Our schools are a microcosym of the communities in which they reside. Interveiw various school administrators and get their side of the story. Ask them how rampant violence is in their school. Remember all the violence last year in local schools. These Officers are understaffed and under paid. But they do the job daily. Protecting "our" children. Parents should have a more active role in their childrens lives, not just try to come to their rescue when they do something wrong!!!!!!

dani
dani 02/06/08 - 08:51 am
I wonder what language the 18

I wonder what language the 18 year old used and how much he resisted arrest. A lack of respect is shown by CEO when he used the term 'rent a cop'. The person was doing his job, actually working for a living. I wonder if the same could be said of the others involved.

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 08:52 am
Amen, Augusta

Amen, Augusta voter......amen.

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 08:52 am
Amen, Augusta

Amen, Augusta voter......amen.

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 02/06/08 - 08:55 am
looks like mom raised a punk!

looks like mom raised a punk!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/06/08 - 08:57 am
Does anyone remember the BOE

Does anyone remember the BOE cop that got shot in the face? I'm sure that incident comes up somewhere in their training. You have to restrain and search noncomplient people, it's an Officer safety issue, and it doesn't always look pretty.

426Hemi
426Hemi 02/06/08 - 09:02 am
CEOlimelight, I expect YOU

CEOlimelight, I expect YOU will be a witness, and if so did you make or offer witness statements? Given the opportunity to? Since you have ALL the facts! Did you hear all the words, see every action? And, who the hell is "US?" I hear racial overtones-AGAIN.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 02/06/08 - 09:05 am
Another thug went

Another thug went down.....More to come on this story.

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 09:08 am
Officer Mike Stephenson was

Officer Mike Stephenson was "murdered" by another poor, innocent "child". A husband was taken from his wife, a father was taken from his children, a child was taken from his parents a friend was taken from the men and women who worked with him. How soon we forget.

str8truth
str8truth 02/06/08 - 09:11 am
Police Officers, irregardless

Police Officers, irregardless of where they work are this nations first line of defense in preventing total anarchy in our society.

pursesshoes all day
pursesshoes all day 02/06/08 - 09:14 am
hey adam , are you crippled?

hey adam , are you crippled?