18-year-old dies in head-on wreck

A two-vehicle wreck near Thurmond Lake in Columbia County on Saturday afternoon killed an 18-year-old woman and sent five others to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

A wreck at Washington Road and Old Lincolnton Highway sent five people to the hospital Saturday. One driver was killed.  Jenna Martin/Staff
Jenna Martin/Staff

The collision was reported about 3 p.m. near Washington Road and Old Lincolnton Highway. Rachel Callie Meadows, an Evans resident and Greenbrier High School graduate, died in the wreck, said Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison.

Emergency crews, including a helicopter, were called to the scene and traffic was briefly diverted onto Old Lincolnton Highway.

Ms. Meadows was driving a Honda Accord westbound on Washington Road and swerved for an unknown reason into the path of an oncoming Chevrolet Tahoe, driven by Priscilla Gillcrest, 37, authorities said.

Ruby Williams, 64; Davonna Williams, 30; Jimeria Gillcrest, 14; and Davondria Smith, 7, were passengers in the Tahoe.

All five in the Tahoe are from Ninety Six, S.C., and were taken to MCG with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, Capt. Morris said.

Staff Writer Stephanie Toone contributed to this article.

Reach Jenna Martin at (706) 868-1222 or ccchron@augustachronicle.com.

One Who Watches
One Who Watches 02/03/08 - 06:33 am
Terrible Loss For All

Terrible Loss For All

elizaw
elizaw 02/03/08 - 07:19 am
My heart goes out to all

My heart goes out to all families.

Jillian
Jillian 02/03/08 - 07:38 am
So sad for all the families.

So sad for all the families. I hope her sudden swerve wasn't because of using the cell phone, text messaging, etc. It is becoming a very serious problem leading to accidents for everyone, esp. teen drivers.

itisjustmyopinion
itisjustmyopinion 02/03/08 - 08:18 am
this is very sad

this is very sad

Chuchi
Chuchi 02/03/08 - 08:46 am
It's probably best not to

It's probably best not to speculate, because people who don't read the speculator's posts properly will sometimes get angry and accuse the poster of assuming facts not in evidence. Only God knows why the little girl swerved; could've been anything. Poor child, and her family and friends. May God comfort them all.

dawnamckee
dawnamckee 02/03/08 - 09:03 am
My son graduated with Callie.

My son graduated with Callie. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family at this tragic time.

sm2051661
sm2051661 02/03/08 - 09:15 am
I love you Callie!!!!

I love you Callie!!!!

jrdveal
jrdveal 02/03/08 - 09:43 am
My son also graduated with

My son also graduated with Callie and he is devastated. He knew Callie from Middle school through graduation. He just saw her earlier yesterday and he mourning for Callie's family. He just told me that this hits too close to home and can't imagine what her family is going through. We hope and pray for her family and the people in the other vehichle. This is a tragedy that we may never understand. Our prayers are with you all.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/03/08 - 10:47 am
May God Bless and keep all of

May God Bless and keep all of you.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/03/08 - 10:52 am
My condolences to all who

My condolences to all who loved Callie and my prayers for healing for those who suffered injuries in the Tahoe.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/03/08 - 11:06 am
callie had just lost her

callie had just lost her grandfather/father figure in the past 3+ months so the family and friends are now having to deal with another loss, in such a short time . this is such a nice family. please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

crlmeadows
crlmeadows 02/03/08 - 11:30 am
Our neice Callie has lost

Our neice Callie has lost both grandfathers in the past 4 months.It is so hard for us at this time. We will keep Louise, Rayla and Vince in our prayers. Knowing that she has gone to heaven to be with our Lord but also with her grandfathers that she loved so much.

justputtin
justputtin 02/03/08 - 11:52 am
God bless you. I'm very sorry

God bless you. I'm very sorry to hear this news.

oh man
oh man 02/03/08 - 01:11 pm
our hearts and prayers go out

our hearts and prayers go out to the families.

iletuknow
iletuknow 02/03/08 - 02:00 pm
Cellphone usage I should

Cellphone usage I should think from what I have noticed driving around Evans.
RIP

eohkcabsisew69
eohkcabsisew69 02/03/08 - 02:58 pm
i miss Callie. we've known

i miss Callie. we've known each other since 10th grade and its just so hard for me right now. i pray for everyone of her family because they just lost her grandfather. my love goes out to everyone. we are all in this together. i love you callie and miss you.

courtney

sebastianw
sebastianw 02/03/08 - 04:44 pm
I Love you Callie and i will

I Love you Callie and i will miss you so much you meant the world to me and i hope you can see you Granpa's in heaven

linlack
linlack 02/03/08 - 05:49 pm
My heartfelt condolences to

My heartfelt condolences to Callie's family. God Bless you and give you strength-- You are God's Heavenly Angel. We will miss you.

CKB
CKB 02/03/08 - 05:56 pm
So very tragic for all

So very tragic for all involved. My thoughts and prayers are with Callie's family and the other family as well. I can't imagine what both families are going through right now. We will probably never know what happened and as someone else stated, it is probably not a good idea to speculate- that just makes it more painful for these families. To both families, just know there are a lot of people praying for you; God will provided you with the strength you need to find peace.

beach
beach 02/03/08 - 08:54 pm
This is such a tragedy. MY

This is such a tragedy. MY prayers go out for all the families. My daughter and Callie are exactly one month apart in age. Louise and I have been working together for over 20 yrs. We will surely miss Callie and I feel so much for her mom. Louise just lost her father a short time ago.I almost lost a son in a wreck a few yrs back but still can't imagine what Louise , her mom, Rayla, and Vince are going through. I know that Callie was a christian and that she is now with her granddads but we will miss her and we all loved her. May God provide the family with strength to get through the next few days and months. May he give peace to those who loved Callie most.

SaraEmigMeyers
SaraEmigMeyers 02/03/08 - 09:00 pm
I hope this will cause all of

I hope this will cause all of us to be more careful on the roads. My prayers to the families and friends.

Hearts from Maryland
Hearts from Maryland 02/03/08 - 09:27 pm
Callie was a very special

Callie was a very special person. Both of my children went to school with her and was very close. Callie was loved and will be missed dearly. Our hearts go out to both families. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

bubbaduke
bubbaduke 02/03/08 - 11:07 pm
God Bless this family!! And I

God Bless this family!! And I know he will. Sometimes we wonder but he is in control and he has a plan, You got have faith!! I never met her but I have known her father for 24yrs. This family has been through a rough year but like I said, God is in control and he will not give us anything that we can't handle if we turn to him.

Jillian
Jillian 02/03/08 - 11:59 pm
I do hope the true story of

I do hope the true story of what happened to cause this tragedy comes out in the next few days because it just may help save the life of someone else if they read the cause and choose not to take the same action.

I truly believe funerals are for the living and not the dead.

cbs08
cbs08 02/04/08 - 12:01 am
I went to school with Callie

I went to school with Callie before she graduated. From the brief time that I knew her, I thought her to be a promising and giving person that would change the world someday. My heart goes out to all her family and friends and I pray that God help them through this difficult time. Callie was a special girl and will be missed by everyone that knew her.

caitlinanderson
caitlinanderson 02/04/08 - 01:24 am
i went to middle school with

i went to middle school with callie. i moved 400 miles away to alabama and i just found out about 10 minutes ago. i had not seen callie in years. ill be praying for callie's family. my mother knew her as well as she was her bus driver for a brief time. we never hung out..well we weren't even in the same "social group" but this hit me very hard. im so sorry to callie's family. she was taken too soon.

Caitlin Anderson

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/04/08 - 09:11 am
Please, to all people,

Please, to all people, especially teens reading this who get behind the wheel of a car, know that you have to be on constant guard. Never take your eyes off the road for a moment. It only takes a second for a tragidy like this to happen. God bless her family.

truelife1928
truelife1928 02/04/08 - 10:18 am
Callie and i have know each

Callie and i have know each other for a while we did a lot of stuff together, I was devistated when i got the phone call. She will be greatly missed by everyone. Everyone says that when someone dies that they were the greatest person and nice to everyone, but callie truly was i did not know a single person that did not like her. She was on the road to do something great.

we love u callie

KSL
KSL 02/04/08 - 10:46 am
I wish a speedy recovery for

I wish a speedy recovery for 5 people in the Tahoe.

jmassin
jmassin 02/04/08 - 02:45 pm
my uncle was on the scene of

my uncle was on the scene of the wreck and he told me that the reason she swerved was because of text messaging. so please be safe when using your cell phone while driving. callie you will be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting and knowing you. we love you callie!!!

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs