Don't tell us how black voters vote

I looked at the headline in the paper the day after the South Carolina Democratic primary: "Black vote lifts Obama." Why is that an issue? Is this really about his race or the race of those who vote for him?

I've never seen white Americans being questioned for voting for white candidates, nor have I seen the question raised "How many white Americans will not vote for Obama simply because he is black?"

Let's focus on the issues and judge the man on his beliefs and his character. Don't insult black Americans by suggesting that we only endorse a candidate because his skin is the same color as ours. I support Obama because I feel that he is the best candidate -- period!

Jeannie Harris, Grovetown

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/02/08 - 06:58 am
Then why an ALL BLACK college

Then why an ALL BLACK college like PAINE?

byrdc27
byrdc27 02/02/08 - 07:59 am
Obaoma being black really

Obaoma being black really doesn't bother me. I think he is a very intelligent man. But, what does concern me is his Muslim connections and his questional patriotism.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/02/08 - 08:03 am
Jeannie, why would anyone

Jeannie, why would anyone make a statement suggesting black voters clamor to vote for a black candidate? Could history play a part?

teharper428
teharper428 02/02/08 - 08:55 am
christian134
christian134 02/02/08 - 09:11 am
The only reason someone would

The only reason someone would pose a question like Jeannie has smacks of race being a top priority in that person's life. History has shouted out loud and clear for decades that the black man will tend to follow the black man for no other reason than he is black. Although that may or may not be the case this time, a look at Obama's background in politics clearly shows he is not ready to step up and run a country at this time.

keysplease
keysplease 02/02/08 - 09:27 am
Again, ignorance is running

Again, ignorance is running amok. The only reason we have black colleges, black churches, and black professional organizations is because we were not allowed to go to the white ones. So we started our own. And to be clearer, Paine College has always had a few white students and been open to everyone; unlike UGA who still refuses to grant a posthumous degree to education pioneer Samuel Harris who completed all the coursework for a degree (1895) but was only allowed to audit classes because UGA didn't admit black students until 1961.
Please get your facts straight.

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 09:39 am
We vote for Whites all the

We vote for Whites all the time Pat, how many blacks have you ever voted for? Oh I know uh uh none.

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 09:51 am
How many of you even know

How many of you even know black people, This site has so many people who don't even know black people making dumb statements. If that was true Pat and 134 you think Deke would be Mayor. Idiots I say.

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 02/02/08 - 09:54 am
Any white person who chooses

Any white person who chooses to can attend Paine College. Any black person who chooses to can attend Bob Jones University. PLEASE get your facts straight.

WW1949
WW1949 02/02/08 - 10:10 am
I voted for Herman Cain

I voted for Herman Cain because I thought he was a good person for the job with conservative ideas. I would also vote for Condi Rice because she is a very smart person and carries herself well, speaks well and represents The USA well. I would not vote for Hillery or Obama because I think they have too much of a socialist program for me. I believe if you do not work you do not deserve a check from all the taxpaying citizens. Both of them think more government is the answer-the government should do this and this and this. It never has worked that way and never will.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 10:17 am
Ms Harris...Written like a

Ms Harris...Written like a true kool-aid drinker with a supercilious attitude.

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 10:30 am
Denali123 thats good but

Denali123 thats good but folks will always be out of work. I know some don't even try to work, but we must have something to help with unemployment.

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 10:31 am
I guess you did not vote for

I guess you did not vote for Bush because he is not a conservative and he surely does not speak well.

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 10:37 am
Good lord! Is there anyone

Good lord! Is there anyone here who does NOT know a black person? What an ignorant statement.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/02/08 - 10:37 am
Not sure who I am voting for

Not sure who I am voting for but..... Byrdc27 mentioned Obama's "questionable patriotism". Where in the world did that come from? If we question a person's patriotism based soley on their ethnic and family background then we are all dispatriots, unless you are of American Indian heritage! Next thing you know, McCarthyism will be in full swing again! Muslim connections! He is a member of the Church of Christ (protestant in case you didn't know). Byrd, what is your background and your connections?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/02/08 - 10:44 am
If a black voter wants to

If a black voter wants to vote for Obama because of race, why not? It's each individual right to vote how they choose. Don't some white voters vote white because of race? Yet why do some white voters take offense when they themselves vote by race all the time? I'm not saying it the correct thing to do, but don't throw stones when you do the very same thing. Why don't we all cast our vote based on facts.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 10:54 am
coalminer True..I don't know

coalminer True..I don't know why Ms Harris has such a problem with it..

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 10:57 am
Well I can't tell by the

Well I can't tell by the things that are said on this post. Cain you can stop kissing up to rednecks they don't like you and never will.

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 11:07 am
Well....I can tell you for

Well....I can tell you for one that this man knows several! So as usual owensjef......you are wrong. Oh boy!

phoenixrising1
phoenixrising1 02/02/08 - 11:26 am
I think you can find Obama's

I think you can find Obama's questionable patriotism in many places, the first is the mission statement of the church he is a member. The one he so staunchly advocates when someone brings up his early muslim backround.

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/08 - 11:29 am
so what

so what

teharper428
teharper428 02/02/08 - 11:48 am
"Commitment to God, black

"Commitment to God, black community, commitment to the black family, the black work ethic, self-discipline and self-respect," he said. "Those are values that the conservative movement in particular has suggested are necessary for black advancement.
"So I would be puzzled that they would object or quibble with the bulk of a document that basically espouses profoundly conservative values of self-reliance and self-help."

happythoughts
happythoughts 02/02/08 - 11:55 am
If you feel insulted, don't

If you feel insulted, don't be. Thoughts of the Clinton scandal (sex not sex) and the aftermath of 911 (dead and wounded in Iraq) are reasons enough to get out there and vote. You may feel it's an insult that it is being publicized as a bad thing and that you have been victimized of your rights but the fact still stands that the majority rules and history is in the making. That is why! So don't be insulted by the stigma on a race that was created by all americans both black and white.

HillGuy
HillGuy 02/02/08 - 11:59 am
Certainly there is a black

Certainly there is a black democrat out there with more experience and qualifications to be President then Barack Hussein Obama? My problem with Obama is his inexpeience and naivety on foreign affairs and national security. Give me a qualified black candidate and I will gladly vote for him or her.

HillGuy
HillGuy 02/02/08 - 12:04 pm
In the mission statement of

In the mission statement of Obama's black separatist church...and the website makes it quite clear it is a "black" church, not an integrated one.. it states that it has a "non-negotiable committment to Africa." So I think there is a valid concern over where Obama's loyalties would lie. Would he be more concerned with the interests of America or those of Africa?
see for yourself"

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/02/08 - 12:12 pm
This is great LTE.Sums up my

This is great LTE.Sums up my feeling precisely.We (blacks) are American citizens and we can vote for who we want to.Denali, the only reason you mentioned Cain or Rice, is because they say what you want to hear.Those are the only blacks, people like you can support.For all those questioning Obama's qualifications, what credentials do you have, that the rest of us don't have? Who died and left the decision up to you, as to the qualifications of presidential candidates? How much do you think I considered you ignorance, when I voted for Obama this past week? When you clowns question blacks for supporting a black, you are revealing your own ignorance.

teharper428
teharper428 02/02/08 - 12:14 pm
When these blanket statements

When these blanket statements are made by posters (ex: Hillguy), I wonder how much they actually know. For those interested in learning the policies of Sen. Obama on foreign policy go to: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/foreignpolicy/
In addition, Senator Obama's middle name is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "good; small handsome one."

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/02/08 - 12:22 pm
PT history shows that it

PT history shows that it goes both ways. IMHO if the only reason you are voting for or against someone is their race, then you are just plain ignorant.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 01:13 pm
teh..The article I read says

teh..The article I read says it means "blessed". You can find anything on the web, can't you.

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.