Between illegal immigration and chaos

This is in response to Harold Szerlip's Jan. 28 letter ("Illegal immigration foes are bigots").

Dr. Szerlip's use of the term "self-serving bigotry" clearly defines a liberal tactic that will shut down debate. If you defend an ideal or a position you are a bigot or a racist by the mere fact that you disagree with their position.

I, for one, will not be intimidated by this rhetoric.

Illegal immigration is a crime. The vast majority of American citizens want secure borders. Immigration into this country has to be within the framework of existing laws. Illegal immigration is fixable. But, you cannot correct it without secure borders.

If it takes a fence or troops to secure our borders, so be it. Dr. Szerlip wants us to believe that if you are for security, you are a bigot. He also says that we all know what the "current wave of anti-immigration rhetoric is about." There is no wave of rhetoric concerning immigration, but there is discussion and debate concerning illegal immigration. But that is just another liberal tactic, in that they try to frame the debate incorrectly. It is illegal immigration that needs to be fixed.

Dr. Szerlip also writes that this is a free country. He is right; our laws provide certain freedoms. But this does not imply that persons can enter this country freely.

As citizens we have thousand of laws that provide a road map for behavior within our society. Without this road map, we would be truly free to do want we want, but it would not be a society. It would be chaos.

John E. Conley, Evans

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 08:17 am
How many illegal Canadian

How many illegal Canadian immigrants are there? One problem at a time please.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/02/08 - 08:19 am
RA, why the inability or

RA, why the inability or unwillingness to distinguish between illegal and legal? Lefties are confusing to the sighted.

fd1962
fd1962 02/02/08 - 08:55 am
Those are some impressive

Those are some impressive posts there, RA. Burritos agree with you.

deportem
deportem 02/02/08 - 09:26 am
RA, come over to Aiken and

RA, come over to Aiken and visit the new developments going up if you want to find illegals. Stop at Talatha Gardens andCedar Creek and see with your own eyes. THe SC legislature is finally waking up after much prodding from the taxpaying citizens.

DonH
DonH 02/02/08 - 10:01 am
John Conley presents a true

John Conley presents a true picture of the situation in America today. With a recession coming upon us, we certainly do not need any illegal workers in this country taking away jobs and social services from our citizens. Additionally, I don't see any real relief from illegal workers coming from the Democrats or most of the Republican candidates. The Libertarian Party is starting to look like the only hope for decent government.

WW1949
WW1949 02/02/08 - 10:16 am
Deportem, I will bet the

Deportem, I will bet the construction company would give you a job if you wanted it. But I bet you wouldn't take it. That is the problem the construction companies have. But I bet you would not know about that. Do you drive to SRP everyday and carry your lunch in a briefcase?

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 02/02/08 - 10:25 am
Those who know nothing about

Those who know nothing about the Minutemen love to say "they're only concerned about the border with Mexico because they are racists". Check your facts - they also patrol the Canadian border. Illegal imiigration is illegal immigration. They are less concerned with a poor Mexican coming here for work (though that is illegal too) than they are about a terrorist who uses our porous borders to enter this country to kill as many Americans as possible. The answer: build the fence as it was written into law by the Congress, enforce our current laws about verifying employment, and the problem will take care of itself. If an illegal immigrant cannot find work here, he or she will leave. The Federal government has an identification verification program in place - States and localities just have to use it.

WW1949
WW1949 02/02/08 - 10:29 am
The Last Word, That still

The Last Word, That still does not solve the problem of having enough workers to do the construction jobs. Where do you get the people that are needed?

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 10:31 am
Supply and demand. If the

Supply and demand. If the jobs have decent wages (i.e. the kind you pay when you have to pay federal and state taxes) then people will work them.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 10:34 am
Retired Army..Why don't we

Retired Army..Why don't we just keep adding millions more to the 20 million. Why stop now. Don't ever let two wrongs get in the way. The comparison with Canada would be laughable if not so simple.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 10:37 am
Denali..You bring the people

Denali..You bring the people who are needed in legally, they are issued a "green card". Then you have some control. Don't keep them out. Bring them in legally. NO more illegals.

Republicant
Republicant 02/02/08 - 10:39 am
Guarantee that if these

Guarantee that if these illegals were caucasian and spoke english, most of you wouldnt want them deported.

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 10:43 am
And what are you basing that

And what are you basing that on Republicant? Your suspision that all white people are racist?

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 11:03 am
Republicant. Most Caucasians

Republicant. Most Caucasians I know have never discrimated against Hispanics. They are a good people. The wealthy might discrimate, but they discrimate against whites who arent' as wealthy or on the same social level as they are, too. Europeans think they are better than Americans. So?

WW1949
WW1949 02/02/08 - 11:24 am
Dani I agree with you but how

Dani I agree with you but how do they get the card. I takes years and by that time the construction company or landscape company has gone out of business because he or she can't find labor. I know of two companies on the brink of closing because they can't find labor. The owners can retire and still live but the other employees will have to find jobs. Some are too old to interest anyone. Cain, there is a demand but no supply, hence the Mexicans fill the jobs.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 11:31 am
Denali....I don't have all

Denali....I don't have all the answers but I do know that a large number of Mexicans are issued green cards which means they are here legally. WE need this for the protection of the workers. The illegals are often badly treated by the employers because the Mexicans can't afford to complain. We are not doing them a favor by letting this happen. We MUST control the flow and only let workers in when needed and only after granting them legal status.

fd1962
fd1962 02/02/08 - 12:03 pm
dani, when I lived in Florida

dani, when I lived in Florida years ago, an extensive (legal) guest worker program was in place to bring more than twelve thousand laborers over from Haiti each season to harvest sugarcane in the Everglades. (what was once the Everglades). In spite of the dangerous conditions of machinery, rattlesnakes, isolation, smoke, and deplorable living conditions, yes, legal guest worker exploitation was institutionalized and worked splendidly. They were immediately flown home after the season to recover, if they survived - not even a field trip to DisneyWorld. That's the American way.

dani
dani 02/02/08 - 01:34 pm
fd 1962 ..I believe you. I

fd
1962 ..I believe you. I saw some tough things when I worked in Jax as an accountant with Clark Fruit Packing. Terrible living conditions, although they did give them bus tickets.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/02/08 - 05:24 pm
Republicant, go find me an

Republicant, go find me an English speaking caucasian illegal immigrant and I'll gladly prove you wrong.

Marko
Marko 02/03/08 - 02:00 am
Voldemort, I can easily do

Voldemort, I can easily do it. They were the 19 hijackers. Yes they were Causcasian. You see we have three basic races of people on this planet. We have Negroid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid. Skin color has nothing to do with it, but bone structure will determine long after you're dead and your skin has decayed, what race you were from. Saddam Hussein was a caucasian male with dark skin. Eskimos and Innuit are Mongoloids. The Jews that Hitler, a caucasian male killed were caucasian just like he was. The Mexicans coming across the border are Spanish speaking caucasoids or caucasoid/mongoloid, or mongoloid/negroid mix. Some of them speak very good English, but most only speak Spanish. Now don't say that I'm for open borders just because I poked holes in your argument. I want a secure border with only legal immigration, but I refuse to believe that only English speaking, light skinned, caucasians follow the rules.

smage
smage 02/03/08 - 02:52 pm
The libs are still trying to

The libs are still trying to stop the debate by injecting "race". It is not about race it is about the law.

deportem
deportem 02/09/08 - 03:51 pm
denali123, I don't work at

denali123, I don't work at the SRP or take my lunch in a briefcase. However, I do know a lot about the impact illegal immigration has on a person trying to find work at a decent wage. My daughter has been unemployed for 6 months now and doesn't have healthcare. Unfortunately, she is not eligible for food stamps, free medical care or anything else an Illegal can get. However, a resturant has offered to pay her under the table, and she refused. So don't make judgements about a person's motive for opposing Illegal Immigration. The law is the law, and Illegal is Illegal!