Deputy coroner had financial woes

The deputy coroner accused of stealing gift cards from an Augusta death scene was in dire financial shape.

Charlena Graham, 43, is still in bankruptcy court with a Chapter 13 petition, and next month her home is scheduled to be sold on the courthouse steps because she defaulted on her mortgage.

Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten, who fired Ms. Graham after her arrest this week, said Friday that he talked with Ms. Graham about the foreclosure proceeding a couple of weeks ago. She told him she had taken care of it, Mr. Tuten said. Personal credit information is now considered confidential, he said.

According to a legal ad in The Augusta Chronicle , Ms. Graham's home on Tara Heights Court will be sold at public auction Feb. 5.

Ms. Graham filed for bankruptcy Dec. 20, 2005. She listed her assets at $88,762, and her debts at $111,987. The majority of her assets was her home, according to court documents.

"That doesn't help me, but maybe it explains some," Mr. Tuten said.

Ms. Graham is accused of taking gift cards from an Augusta hotel room where a woman had committed suicide on New Year's Eve.

Richmond County sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said Friday that Ms. Graham is only charged with one count of theft for a Target gift card, but she is expected to be indicted on a theft charge for each of the five cards.

The sheriff's department also has received a few calls from family members who are suspicious that property might have been stolen.

The department has not completed any investigation, Maj. Autry said.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 01/26/08 - 03:30 am
Boo Hoo, she didn't steal

Boo Hoo, she didn't steal from the dead to eat she bought shoes. I guess when she worked in Internal Affairs she was honest then, right?

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 01/26/08 - 04:13 am
I agree, this doesn't give a

I agree, this doesn't give a person the right to steal from someone who died and it really just didn't help matters. She threw away a career for this???

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 01/26/08 - 04:34 am
No, she got caught this time,

No, she got caught this time, do you think she got caught the first and only time she plundered the dead?

RobbyLogan
RobbyLogan 01/26/08 - 04:38 am
Who isn't having financial

Who isn't having financial problems? Most are struggling it's just each may be at a different extent. For someone who was in desire need of money, why steal gift cards, go out and rob a bank, either way she would or did end up in jail plus she threw away a good career. I wonder if she had any friends or family that would have helped her out? But, no matter she ran up a lot of debt, which I know it doesn't take long to do, but gifts cards and a debt of $111,987? How was $400 worth of gifts cards going to help her with her financial problems? Wonder if she got her a whole new outfit for court from those gift cards? I do not feel any sorrow for her so call me cold if you must.

common-sense-justice
common-sense-justice 01/26/08 - 04:51 am
Is this revelation supposed

Is this revelation supposed to make us feel sorry for this skumbag now ?? Not me. Her being black means that there are a thousand ways for her to milk the system for money without having to steal from dead people.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/26/08 - 06:33 am
At 43 she hasn't learned what

At 43 she hasn't learned what a budget is? I'd say she has a history of bad decisions. It's too bad ones character and wisdom (knowledge gained through life experience) isn't considered when hiring for a deputy coroners job.

cricketflea
cricketflea 01/26/08 - 06:52 am
La-dee-da!!! I got financial

La-dee-da!!! I got financial problems too and so does just about avery one else breathing! Cry me a handful! Who cares! Does that give everyone with financial problems the RIGHT to STEAL??? I don't think so!!!! What it does give you the right to do is dig in deeper and WORK harder and budget better and find an honest and clear way OUT OF YOUR PROBLEMS! You will find no sympathy here unless you look in the dictionary!

THOMSON
THOMSON 01/26/08 - 07:37 am
This is not her first rodeo!

This is not her first rodeo! If she stole from the dead what do you think she has done to the living.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 01/26/08 - 08:42 am
I see the meeting of the

I see the meeting of the Grand Wizzard of the K K K met early at the local pancake house. With LACK of common sense being the leader of the idiots. Not even man nor woman enough to post their B.S. when the majority of posters are on board. But what else should one expect from a bunch of COWARDS that hide behind sheets.

Glascock1
Glascock1 01/26/08 - 08:51 am
Geez. I wonder if even the

Geez. I wonder if even the weather could be discussed on here without some making it a racial issue..............

t2007
t2007 01/26/08 - 09:02 am
To Common-sense-justice, I

To Common-sense-justice,

I am sorry, I may have read this wrong, but please clarify what you meant by "Her being black means that there are a thousand ways for her to milk the system for money without having to steal from dead people" because if I am correct with what I think you are trying to say (your comments show no common sense at all and I see just as many white folks steal, kill, and cheat as blacks). Race does not have anything to do with it. This lady was wrong to prey on the unfortunate circumstances of someone else. Black, white, green, or yellow she was wrong. So don't you dare try to use this as a cowardly way to say how you really feel about black people. By the way I see white folks milking the system as well along with your white collar crime, jack--- (you fill in the rest)!

edst4
edst4 01/26/08 - 09:34 am
Once again people throw the

Once again people throw the race card into this. Gezz people get a flipping life HYPOCRITES2008 t2007 Common Sense justice. For one person to steal from the dead deserve what they get. So leave the damn race card alone. Another reason why Augusta will always be known as disaugusta. For idiots that run the streets and post stupid comments on a web page.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 01/26/08 - 09:57 am
LISTEN EDST$ I only made that

LISTEN EDST$ I only made that comment to show how stupid common sense comment was. By the way edst4 where were you when comments like " she looks like an Orangutan and crack head and monkey were made.

Katady
Katady 01/26/08 - 10:00 am
Justice is being served,

Justice is being served, let's hope she is sorry for what she did not at being caught. I feel sorry for her, getting in debt and having to resort to stealing, not money to help her out of debt but Gift Cards! Obviously she wasn't thinking straight.

t2007
t2007 01/26/08 - 10:20 am
Edst4, Being that you have

Edst4, Being that you have all the knowledge (not) my point is that race does not have anything to do with it and it behooves me that you guys in Augusta hide behind these blogs to express your backwards way of thinking and make everything about race. I am in the Northern part of Georgia and read a number of blogs around ATL in my spare time (never responding), but have to respond when I read the ones in Augusta because some idiot is going to make it about race. Like I said before, this is not a black issue or a white issue. The lady was wrong; she saw the opportunity and jumped for it. It wasn't about her being financially strained, in bankruptcy, depressed, etc. It’s no different than a civilian taking something if he happened upon an accident (no one will know if the person is dead). She violated an office of trust, which is what this is about. Good for the family for searching for the cards and good for the authorities for taking them seriously. !Chump!

edst4
edst4 01/26/08 - 10:32 am
to t2007 glad you have the

to t2007 glad you have the time to blog and such calling me a Chump LOL nice love ya to mean it. To HYPOCRITES2008 i only get on this web site and post when I am home. My employer watches what we do on the web I do not have time nor can I sit on websites all day seeing what others are posting during a work week.

dani
dani 01/26/08 - 10:32 am
I wonder who is responsible

I wonder who is responsible for her outrageous debts. I'll bet it is somebody's fault other than hers.

dani
dani 01/26/08 - 10:34 am
Glascock 1. I doubt it. The

Glascock 1. I doubt it. The white stuff has been mentioned for today.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 01/26/08 - 10:38 am
She was going to lose her

She was going to lose her home. At least with her actions She won't be living on the street. Hope she thought of her children, if she has any.

common-sense-justice
common-sense-justice 01/26/08 - 10:51 am
This specific item is not

This specific item is not about race. However it does seem that a very disproportionate number of news items ARE about black folks gone bad, or starting out that way. I am not a sheet wearer, but just somebody that has seen way too much to ignore the problem by being concerned that I may offend someone by saying something. If one looks at the ratio of black folks on the public dole as opposed to whites, you will see what I mean. I have even heard them at Wally-World saying that the white man OWED them a living !! For something that happened eons ago and has been apoligized for. No, they just need to join the mainstream and get a job, instead of letting uncle take care of them. We owe them NOTHING.

dani
dani 01/26/08 - 10:55 am
common-sense. aND these same

common-sense. aND these same folks are saying their 'demands haven't yet been met'.

Demands?

iletuknow
iletuknow 01/26/08 - 11:06 am
So now the REAL investigation

So now the REAL investigation starts.A fine representation of a public servant.How many more bad apples are down there hired with no qualifications other than to satisfy affirmative action quotas?

mastersmoney
mastersmoney 01/26/08 - 11:08 am
It seems to me that all cases

It seems to me that all cases given to her while she worked in internal affairs at the sheriffs office should be reviewed. I dont see how its fair that a bankrupt felon should be investigating honest deputies accused of breaking a policy. Demand Justice!

dani
dani 01/26/08 - 11:09 am
iletu..sadly, we will never

iletu..sadly, we will never know. This is, after all, Richmond County GA

chudson1173
chudson1173 01/26/08 - 11:14 am
You know this is just really

You know this is just really ironic. My mom passed away in April 2005 in Augusta and Ms. Graham was involved in her case. Although, I thought Ms. Graham was very kind and sympathetic. She really helped me during such a difficult time because I have since moved to Oklahoma and was not there when she passed. Well I know for a fact that my mom had a stash of cash (over 1000.00) and her most precious possession, her wedding ring. She barely ever took it off and when I had to come down to clean out her apartment, I could not find either one of those items. I never did anything about it at the time because I was trying to grieve the loss of my mom. Things were really blurry and chaotic at the time and I have since just let it go but now this opens up all kinds of concerns. It makes you wonder if she had something to do with this. I just cant believe that she would do such a horrible thing. I have no way of trying to resolve this issue but this sure is making me wonder. I was so hoping to give that ring to my daughter when she grew up and have the memories of her mimi forever.

slo4sho
slo4sho 01/26/08 - 11:26 am
Let's all take a moment out

Let's all take a moment out for prayer.PLEASE.........

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 01/26/08 - 11:44 am
edst4 my point exactly. since

edst4 my point exactly. since you may not know why i commented as i did, then maybe you should have not commented. then again, this is america.

reginawildcats
reginawildcats 01/26/08 - 11:45 am
True what she did was wrong,

True what she did was wrong, but to suggest that because she is black she could milk the system is just plan racist.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 01/26/08 - 11:48 am
dani, who are these folks

dani, who are these folks that are demanding stuff.

common-sense-justice
common-sense-justice 01/26/08 - 11:53 am
Regina... It may sound

Regina... It may sound racist, but it happens to be the plain truth !!!

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.