Misconduct alleged in case

U.S. District Judge Lisa Godbey Wood will have to sort through allegations of professional misconduct, secretly recorded phone calls and an admitted romantic affair between a narcotics officer and a convicted drug dealer before deciding what to do with a pending criminal case.

Lisa Godbey Wood: Judge has not yet set a hearing date to consider the misconduct allegations.  Special
Special

The case centers on Marya Tapp, a major methamphetamine dealer facing a lengthy federal prison sentence.

Ms. Tapp was caught Aug. 16 with more than 10 ounces of methamphetamine, digital scales and $5,914 in cash in her purse.

That night, she did what many people facing long federal prison sentences do: She agreed to cooperate with law enforcement.

Within two months, she was having an affair with one of the narcotics investigators on her case, James Tredore, a 14-year Richmond County sheriff's department veteran, according to court documents.

Ms. Tapp and her attorney expected the prosecutor to recommend a sentencing reduction because of her assistance with other cases.

However, according to a defense motion, the federal prosecutor engaged in a "shocking saga of prosecutorial abuse" after top officers confronted Mr. Tredore about his relationship with Ms. Tapp in early November and forced him to resign.

Ms. Tapp is now asking the court to force the prosecutor to grant a sentencing reduction recommendation or dismiss the indictment against her. Ms. Tapp's attorney, Richard Ingram, wrote in his motion that Assistant U.S. Attorney Patricia Johnson has a vendetta against Ms. Tapp because Ms. Johnson is a friend of Mr. Tredore. The attorney wrote that Ms. Johnson blames Ms. Tapp for the forced resignation.

Mr. Ingram also alleges that, in addition to improperly withdrawing the promise to recommend a sentencing reduction, Ms. Johnson threatened to seek a sentencing enhancement and even threatened to get South Carolina to prosecute Ms. Tapp for drug charges there.

In response, federal prosecutors said Friday that Ms. Tapp's anticipated sentence reduction was based on cooperation that would lead to convictions. Because the integrity of the cases has been jeopardized by the affair, obtaining convictions is questionable, they said.

The prosecutors included transcripts of phone calls to Ms. Johnson that were secretly recorded by the defense attorney. Those transcripts were filed in Ms. Tapp's case, as were transcripts of Ms. Tapp's telephone calls to Mr. Tredore that were recorded at the jail where she is incarcerated.

Ms. Tapp, the prosecutors wrote, manipulated Mr. Tredore and her attorney to manufacture false allegations of government misconduct.

Judge Wood has not set a hearing date to consider the allegations and what she will do with the charges pending against Ms. Tapp.

Less than three months before her latest arrest on drug charges, Ms. Tapp had been convicted in Richmond County Superior Court of dealing in methamphetamine. She was sentenced to probation in that case.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

THOMSON
THOMSON 01/22/08 - 04:27 am
she needs to do time, very

she needs to do time, very coniving, she will do it again if not punished!

TAZZYTEE
TAZZYTEE 01/22/08 - 04:45 am
Another botch job by the

Another botch job by the Richmond County Law Enforcement. Marya Tapp must have be using the drugs that she was supposed to be selling the night(June 14,2007) she caused a four accident at the intersection of Wheeler and Argeton.

pofwe
pofwe 01/22/08 - 08:07 am
Marya Tapp, ain't no sunni,

Marya Tapp, ain't no sunni, she's full sh'ite.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 01/22/08 - 08:53 am
POOR BABY, she was

POOR BABY, she was mistreated. Give me a break. She is a Meth Head P-E-R-I-O-D. And where do you get off blaming the R.C.S.D. ? I guess she is upset because she cannot sleep her way out of this one.

halffull
halffull 01/22/08 - 09:31 am
She did cooperate with the

She did cooperate with the officer as promised.

fallendown
fallendown 01/22/08 - 09:47 am
she destroyed tredore and he

she destroyed tredore and he don't even see it yet!!!

intheknow
intheknow 01/22/08 - 10:15 am
She cooperated after she got

She cooperated after she got caught for the second time in less than 3 months.

intheknow
intheknow 01/22/08 - 10:18 am
She cooperated after she got

She cooperated after she got caught for the second time in less than 3 months.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/22/08 - 10:26 am
Almost right Hypocrite. Ay,

Almost right Hypocrite. Ay, She be the French lieutenants Whoore. And a meth head. I guess the officer decided to have a good ole fashioned ho down.

Good4the goose
Good4the goose 01/22/08 - 10:34 am
I am willing to bet that this

I am willing to bet that this officer lied to the feds when questioned about the affair. I hope they go after him too.

SunDown
SunDown 01/22/08 - 12:08 pm
Sounds like to me... she was

Sounds like to me... she was more than cooperative, she was willing to go the extra mile!

lovelylululady
lovelylululady 01/22/08 - 12:28 pm
God bless the family of Marya

God bless the family of Marya Tapp.

whyme
whyme 01/22/08 - 01:17 pm
Sounds like a mess all the

Sounds like a mess all the way around. She was in the wrong but if the other side goofed, it'll be easy to blame her because of her history.

vls214
vls214 01/22/08 - 01:42 pm
I worked with Tre years ago

I worked with Tre years ago and cannot believe that he lost his job over a meth head. Didn't he just get married and have a baby not that long ago? Why is it so difficult for employees of R.C.S.D. to stay faithful and not let some woman jeapordize their job?

whoknew2008
whoknew2008 01/22/08 - 02:01 pm
It's very sad to know a DRUG

It's very sad to know a DRUG DEALER could be let back on our streets to sell drugs where our children play just because some guy couldn't keep his pants up. She knew exactally what she was doing when she got involved with him, she knew she would be able to get out of the trouble she was in.

Told ya
Told ya 01/22/08 - 02:51 pm
She came in through the

She came in through the bathroom window
Protected by a silver spoon
But now she sucks her thumb and wanders
By the banks of her own lagoon

Didn't anybody tell her?
Didn't anybody see?
Sunday's on the phone to Monday,
Tuesday's on the phone to me

She said she'd always been a dancer
She worked at 15 clubs a day
And though she thought I knew the answer
Well I knew but I could not say.

And so I quit the police department
And got myself a steady job
And though she tried her best to help me
She could steal but she could not rob.

Didn't anybody tell her?
Didn't anybody see?
Sunday's on the phone to Monday,
Tuesday's on the phone to me
Oh yeah.
-Beatles

quickfeet
quickfeet 01/22/08 - 03:47 pm
Tricia G. Johnson Is the

Tricia G. Johnson Is the kinda prosecutor I like. Tough on criminals. If trying to get and keep more criminals in jail is prosecutory misconduct than we need more of it. Maybe Mr. Tredor was just trying to make Ms. Tapp feel comfortable so she would give up a little more info. hehe..

quickfeet
quickfeet 01/22/08 - 03:49 pm
Tricia G. Johnson Is the

freeshy2006
freeshy2006 01/22/08 - 04:22 pm
It's really sad when you

It's really sad when you can't trust the people who are supposed to protect us. They are just as bad as the criminals, yet the courts trust their word when they say someone else did wrong!!! Wake up Augusta is corrupt!!!!!

ag10
ag10 01/22/08 - 05:39 pm
Freeshy, I suppose you think

Freeshy, I suppose you think that Augusta does not have a drug problem and that they are all lying, officers that is. I suppose that the Sheriff's Dept. trucks in all of these drugs from Colombia just so they can plant it on all of these unsuspecting criminal looking types so they can fluff their numbers. Where would they get all of the money for this, Oh let me guess, that must be your tax dollars at work. Freeshy, you need to WAKE UP.

genbartow
genbartow 01/22/08 - 07:53 pm
Trish Johnson is a good

Trish Johnson is a good prosecutor who does her job and don't back down. I almost feel sorry for Marya Tapp. She's gonna feel great pressure as the wheels of justice grind slowly over her body and soul. That will be justice served.

dontremember
dontremember 01/31/08 - 04:40 pm
I know Marya Tapp very

I know Marya Tapp very well,and I must say she knows exactly what she is doing. She has no remorse for what she has done she only looks out for herself never thinking about other peoples feelings. The whole thing with Mr. Treedor was a set up for her best interest. I feel Mr. Treedor is partly to blame,but should not take full account for it. Lets just say conartists know what they are doing!! She needs to pay for her criminal behavior in this matter.

mindyourbusiness
mindyourbusiness 02/28/08 - 12:38 pm
Think about the wife and

Think about the wife and child of this officer. Yes, he did something very wrong. Marya chased him for a while before he gave in. She is nothing but the devil in disguise. God will take care of her if the justice system won't. That offficer is trying to repair the mistakes that he made, so leave him alone!
Marya is the one that needs to be punished. She even had her child taken from her. She is as ugly as sin!

misduke
misduke 03/03/08 - 09:43 am
Yes this is really messed

Yes this is really messed up..tredore is my cousins husband and i cant believe wht i just read.I was unaware of the situation and wht was going on.

KeepItReal1
KeepItReal1 03/05/08 - 09:54 pm
let me school you

let me school you mindyourbusiness... she needs to take the baby and leave him because he is no good...and this is not the first time he has done this and it wont be the last... she needs to ask him where he was when he left her..i heard he left his wife and went with MAryA when this all came out.. i heard he tried to divorce her he is a slimebucket... god doesnt put every relationship together... my advice is to leave him before he makes her look worse than she already does..what i think is she needs to keep GOD in her life and see through his lies.stop settling for less, Mrs. Tredore. I know you are reading this.

misduke
misduke 03/06/08 - 03:53 pm
Ok mindyourbusiness..everyone

Ok mindyourbusiness..everyone knows who u r...

KeepItReal1
KeepItReal1 03/07/08 - 02:02 pm
MindYourBusiness is mad that

MindYourBusiness is mad that we know all of their business

misduke
misduke 03/07/08 - 04:23 pm
oh well ..she married a

oh well ..she married a policeman wht does she expect