Sleet, snow could affect roadways

A mix of sleet and snow could give parts of the Augusta area a winter wonderland look this afternoon.

As much as 1 inch of snow is predicted by late evening for Augusta and surrounding areas northwest of the city, said Jeff Linton, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in West Columbia, S.C.

"There's near a 100 percent chance of precipitation," Mr. Linton said. "We believe the rain will change into snow or a mixture of rain and snow."

That would mark the second appearance of snow in the Augusta area this week.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory until 10 p.m. Though weather officials say precipitation will end by early evening, driving conditions could be affected throughout the night.

"The cooler temperatures will mean that it's possible for the wet roads to become icy," Mr. Linton said.

Temperatures will stay around the upper 30s for most of the day, but will drop to the mid 20s tonight, he said.

Emergency service crews are prepared for the snowy conditions, said Pam Tucker, Columbia County's emergency services director. Crews will be out this evening preparing the roads with salt and sand, she said.

"No forecaster can be certain on how bad it will be, but all of them agree we'll get some snow," Mrs. Tucker said. "The bottom line is everyone needs to drive much slower in this kind of weather."

Mrs. Tucker said motorists should be especially careful on bridges and overpasses, which freeze sooner than roadways.

Mr. Linton said the slick conditions will likely subside by Sunday morning.

Reach Stephanie Toone at (706) 823-3215 or stephanie.toone@augustachronicle.com.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/19/08 - 08:24 am
The sky is falling, the sky

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 01/19/08 - 08:41 am
OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh This will

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh This will be a BLAST! ANother snowball fight with my kids!!!

trucksareforgirlz
trucksareforgirlz 01/19/08 - 09:00 am
Let it snow, let it snow, let

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!! Everyone, hurry to the store and buy plenty of milk and bread! See you in the checkout lanes!

Bored in GA
Bored in GA 01/19/08 - 09:03 am
I live my life everyday

I live my life everyday during cold weather, praying for SNOW, so again today Lord send your best Snow ever!!

rodal
rodal 01/19/08 - 09:05 am
Everyone just be careful if

Everyone just be careful if it does become bad!!! I don't care what people say, a car cannot be controlled on ice...(my belief)

dthompson
dthompson 01/19/08 - 09:22 am
yeah!!!!!! bring on the

yeah!!!!!! bring on the snow!!!!!! may there be enough for my kids to throw snowballs.

Rose
Rose 01/19/08 - 09:33 am
I see the AC today is not

I see the AC today is not letting us post on rant and raves, across the area, across Georgia, across SC.

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 01/19/08 - 09:42 am
Oh the weather outside is

Oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful. Since we have no place to go, LET IT SNOW! LET IT SNOW! LET IT SNOW! I LOVE IT! Especially how the whole whole seems to stop when it snows in Augusta.

enana031
enana031 01/19/08 - 09:42 am
Wahoo, bring it on, my

Wahoo, bring it on, my beautiful granddaughters and I are waiting to duke it out with snowballs!

heresmytake
heresmytake 01/19/08 - 09:53 am
This global warming is just

This global warming is just too much !! ;)

Rose
Rose 01/19/08 - 09:58 am
My husband told me something

My husband told me something last night that made me laugh till I cried. There can be all kinds of weather warnings such as severe storms and, flash flooding, and people don't take action. But let it be snow or sleet in the forecast,and people buy out all the bread and milk. hahaha

opinions
opinions 01/19/08 - 10:41 am
Rose your husband is a smart

Rose your husband is a smart man...lol and ever so right!!!

dani
dani 01/19/08 - 11:50 am
jake..What a mess that was.

jake..What a mess that was. My brother in law left from Jacksonville and couldn't get any further than Waynesboro. Our neighbor had a jeep (cloth top, oh my) and went and picked him up. Had to leave his car in W'sboro. The worst I have lived through.

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/19/08 - 12:08 pm
Bread, milk and TP!!!!

Bread, milk and TP!!!!

workingmom
workingmom 01/19/08 - 12:46 pm
I was thinking earlier as I

I was thinking earlier as I read the forecast....why is milk and bread the two things everyone buys? lol Don't most people keep things like soup, crackers, peanut butter, and some frozen foods in their pantries? It just struck me as being funny.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/19/08 - 01:12 pm
I think I'll go to the store

I think I'll go to the store and buy as much milk and bread as I can possibly afford... just to watch people start a panic...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/19/08 - 01:24 pm
I was in northwest Illinois

I was in northwest Illinois during the snow of '73. The same storm that brought 15" to Augusta brought 23' to Galena, Ill. It took 3 days for the bulldozers to reach my home(snow plows were no good). My car was packed by then and I drove straight to Augusta just in time to hear all of the snow stories. I knew I'd found the right place when I heard how rare snow is. I've not regretted a day of the weather here.

Rose
Rose 01/19/08 - 01:49 pm
I remember that snow in

I remember that snow in 1973.No snow was forecast. The Nation guard was called out. People were stranded on roads, and emergency workers even road on tractors to work. A Seven-Eleven near us ran out of bread and milk, and a man in a Volkswagon Bug delivered milk to the store.

KSL
KSL 01/19/08 - 02:21 pm
We hiked to a gas station

We hiked to a gas station that sold milk (not a quick shop, a gas station) to get milk for our 1 and 3 year old sons while a neighbor babysat. There were drifts in our back yard up to the top of the picnic table. I still have pictures somewhere. To this day though, I don't rush to the store to buy anything when snow or sleet is forecast. A freezing rain is what I dread the most. Grew up in the country where downed power lines meant no electricity AND no water.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/19/08 - 02:32 pm
Hah. I spent the winter of

Hah. I spent the winter of 1969 in Burlington, VT. It started snowing on Dec 24 and did not stop until January 2. A total of 124 inches fell. Nothing other than snowmobiles moved bringing needed food to the elderly. I burrowed a tunnel from the front door to the street. The following Spring I moved to Pensacola, FL.

KSL
KSL 01/19/08 - 02:34 pm
My aunt, who is in her 80's,

My aunt, who is in her 80's, still lives in Burlington. I don't know why.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/19/08 - 02:37 pm
She waits for snowmobiles

She waits for snowmobiles

DontTazeMeBro
DontTazeMeBro 01/19/08 - 03:06 pm
run get in the car, drive

run get in the car, drive like crazy on slick roads, hit the grocery store, buy a 3 week supply of food, get mad cause you gotta wait in long lines, be impatient in the parking lot, gun the accelerator, slide into the ditch. heh heh

rainboot
rainboot 01/19/08 - 03:26 pm
I bet you a dollar we don't

I bet you a dollar we don't see any snow at all today.

KSL
KSL 01/19/08 - 03:28 pm
mgroothand, being one half

mgroothand, being one half Dutch, one half Italian, she probably rides one.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/19/08 - 03:36 pm
kathisue, being full Dutch,

kathisue, being full Dutch, born & raised there, I can relate!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/19/08 - 03:38 pm
Hi. It's just raining here.

Hi. It's just raining here. Temp about 40. Need to run a couple errands so I hope temperature doesn't drop soon. Don't like the car sliding. If it snows, I hope it's after I get back. Don't like car tracks on the new fallen snow. Does rants and raves and across the area get stuck every Saturday? or is this unusual?

daytonabeachgirl
daytonabeachgirl 01/19/08 - 04:26 pm
I remember the snow of 73.

I remember the snow of 73. That morning as I was leaving for school, my mother said dress warm it looks like snow. Of course there wasn't any prediction for snow but you know moms. It started around 10am and the teachers were saying sit down it's not going to stick. By lunch time school was out and stayed out for a few days. That year they tried to make up missed classes during the Masters week. Needless to say, that didn't work either. Of course as kids, we thought it was great. I'm sure our parents had other thoughts. I don't know if Augusta got much snow during Christmas of 1989 but I was in Charleston, SC the year that Hurricane Hugo hit and it started snowing on the 23rd and didn't stop until Christmas Eve. We always said it was Gods way of covering up the mess from Hugo. It was a beautiful sight. Stay off the roads guys because when I lived in GA at the sign of the first snowflake all sense of reality left the drivers.

workingmom
workingmom 01/19/08 - 04:34 pm
I agree, Daytona. It's just

I agree, Daytona. It's just better to stay off the road unless you've had experience driving in weather like this. Of course, you still have to worry about the drivers who "think" they can drive in it!

KSL
KSL 01/19/08 - 04:44 pm
I happen to believe there are

I happen to believe there are a lot of drivers living here now who have been accustomed to driving in this. I have enough sense to know that I'm not one of them.