l The South Carolina Baseball Coaches Association will hold its annual winter baseball clinic at the Marriott in Columbia on Friday and Saturday . Speakers include Kip Bouknight and Matthew LeCroy (MLB), USC Upstate coaches Matt Fincher and Russell Triplett, Mike Darnell of Cardinal Newman High, and Jamie Corr. The cost of the clinic is $55. Students and players may come Saturday only for $10. More information and registration forms can be sound at scbca.net.
- The CSRA Baseball Umpires Camp, featuring Major League Baseball umpires Marvin Hudson and Fieldin Culbreth, will be held Saturday at Westside High School from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. The camp is open to any umpire, from beginner to experienced amateur, and includes a Georgia High School Association clinic, Dixie Youth certification and United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) certification. Cost of the camp is $60. For more information, contact Ted Miller at email@example.com or (706) 564-0051.
- Spring baseball registration for a league at Citizens Park in Aiken will be held at the Citizens Park II Complex from Jan. 22-31 . Registration will be held Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. and on Friday until 4:30 p.m. The fee is $45, and a non-city resident fee will apply. The late fee (after Jan. 31) is $10. For more information, call (803) 642-7761.
- The Thomson Wildcats 10-under baseball team will hold tryouts Saturday, Jan. 26 at 1 p.m. at Sweetwater Park (Field 8) in Thomson. Players cannot turn 11 before May 1. For more information, call (706) 832-1813.
l USSSA baseball tournaments will be held on the following dates: Georgia Cup Winter Baseball Championship on Feb. 23-24 at Diamond Lakes Park in Augusta for divisions from 8-under machine through 14-under open. For more information, call Bob at (706) 595-2152 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
l The Southern Express 11-under travel baseball team is looking for dedicated new players. Pitchers are a plus. If you have any questions, call Mell Brantley at (706) 399-6212 or (706) 592-1318, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
l The 13-under Cyclones AA travel team is recruiting dedicated players for competitive baseball. Participants cannot turn 14 before May 1, 2008. Interested players should call coach Mark Mikos at (803) 502-0599 or (803) 640-2693.
- The Atlanta Lady Celtics have scheduled tryouts for the 2008 season beginning Sunday, Jan. 27 at Doraville Arena in Doraville, Ga. Please visit the team's Web site at www.atlantaladyceltics.org for additional details, or you can contact Scot Waldrop at (678) 665-9976.
- The Augusta Boxing Club presents open-to-the-public sparring matches the last Thursday of each month at the Augusta Boxing Club, located at 1929 Walton Way. There is no charge for attendance and the public is welcome. Adult boxers must weigh in the previous Monday, and youth must weigh in on Tuesday to be eligible to spar. For information, call Tom Moraetes at (706) 733-7533.
- The North Augusta Boxing Club is seeking volunteer coaches, judges and referees. Those interested can attend a free training seminar and certification clinic from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday at the club's gymnasium, located at 3294 Augusta Road (Highway 421) in Burnettown, S.C. There is a $50 annual membership fee to join USA Boxing. Pre-registration is not required. For more information, call (803) 593-1775.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will play host to the 2008 USA Boxing Southeast Boxing Championships on Feb . 22-23 . Matches will start at 7 each night and be held at May Park Gym, located on the corner of Fourth Street and Walton Way. Tickets will be available at the Augusta Boxing Club. Adult tickets are $10 and tickets for children are just $3. For any additional information call (706) 733-7533.
- The CSRA Cobras minor league team will conduct tryouts Feb. 2, 9 and 16 for the 2008 season. The Saturday tryouts will be held at Cobra's Corner near the intersection of Atomic Road and Old Edgefield Road in North Augusta. Athletes 18 years and older are invited and are required to bring cleats. Tryout fee is $55, which will include shirts and shorts. For additional information, contact (706) 834-2123.
- The Augusta Fencers Club is now taking registration for its winter classes in beginning foil fencing. The 10-week course meets once a week for an hour, and the cost is $150. All competitive gear is provided. Adult class (ages 13 and up) meets Thursdays at 6 p.m. Classes meet at the Fencers Club, located at 134 Ninth Street in downtown Augusta. Contact the club at (706) 722-8878 or online at www.augustafencers.com to register or for more information. The club will play host to a Georgia Division-sanctioned tournament Feb. 2-3 . Spectators are welcome at no charge. Fencing begins at 10 a.m. both days.
- The Augusta Egolf Amateur Tour will hold its 2008 Season Registration and Kick-Off Party on Saturday, Jan. 26 , at T-Bonz Steakhouse, located at 1654 Gordon Highway. The party will be held from 4-6 p.m. The tour is open to males and females of all ages and abilities. Golfers are placed in a flight based on handicaps, and competition is held in gross stroke play. The cost of membership is $85 per season. Golfers may join at any time during the year. Competition begins in January and runs through November . For additional information, contact tour director Phil Robinson at (706) 414-1170 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The Augusta Rowing Club offers a monthly learn to row program for adults. For information, call David Young at (803) 279-6302 or visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- The Augusta Junior Rowing Team's spring season is under way. No experience is necessary to join the team. Come and try out for two weeks at no cost. The team welcomes youth ages 12-18. Practices are held at the Boathouse, located at 101 Riverfront Drive in Augusta, from 4-6:30 p.m. each Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. For more information, visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club invites all people interested in rugby to practices each Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Julian Smith Casino ballpark. New players are welcome. For information, call Erika Pracht at (803) 634-3186 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The Web site is www.augustarugby.org.
- The Columbia County Recreation Department will hold registration for the 2008 spring soccer season through Friday, Jan. 25 for boys and girls ages 6-18. The age control date is Aug. 1, 2008. Games will be played Tuesdays and Thursdays at Patriots Park during March and April. Registration is at the Patriots Park Administrative Office from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday-Friday or online for those who have played previously with the recreation department. For more information, call (706)
863-7523. Registration forms are available at www.columbiacountyga.gov.
- Spring soccer registration for a league at Citizens Park in Aiken will be held at the Citizens Park II Complex from Feb. 12-21. Registration will be held on Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m., and on Friday until 4:30 p.m. The fee is $40, and non-city resident fee will apply. The late fee (after Jan. 31) is $10. For more information, call (803) 642-7761.
- The Augusta Arsenal Soccer Club is looking for several additional players for its under-11 boys teams for the spring (March-May) season. Players are eligible for this age group if they reach their 11th birthday on or after Aug. 1, 2007. To learn more, parents can contact Kevin O'Kula at (706) 727-0488 on weekends or after 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- Spring softball registration for a league at Citizens Park in Aiken will be held at the Citizens Park II Complex from Jan. 22-31. Registration will be held on Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m., and on Friday until 4:30 p.m. The fee is $45, and non-city resident fee will apply. The late fee (after Jan. 31) is $10. For more information, call (803) 642-7761.
- The USSSA will hold several upcoming events: The Winter Cup Championship on Saturday at Sweetwater Park in Thomson. Entry deadline is today. Early Bird at Sweetwater Park on Feb. 9 . This will be one of three classification tournaments. Softball Bonanza on Feb. 23 at Diamond Lakes in Augusta. This is the final classification tournament before the Georgia Cup Series begins in March.
For more information on the events, call Bob at (706) 595-2152 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The Georgia Rockers 18-under "A" travel team is looking for dedicated girls interested in playing a competitive schedule, including ASA qualifiers and three to four college exposure tournaments. If you are serious about softball and endeavor to play at the collegiate level, contact Ike Branch at (706) 373-9581 or (706) 860-3886.
- The Georgia Rockers 10-under travel team is looking for girls interested in playing fast-pitch softball for the 2008 season. If you are at the age of 9 or 10 on Jan. 1, 2008, and are interested in playing, contact Ike Branch at (706) 373-9581 or (706) 860-3886.
- The CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will hold developmental clinics for girls in grades 5-11 on Sundays from 5-7 p.m. through March 30 . The clinics will be held in the Boardman Gymnasium at Augusta Prep, located at 285 Flowing Wells Road in Martinez. The cost is $160. The purpose of the clinics is to teach the basics of volleyball, namely serving, passing, hitting and setting. The girls participating will be separated into appropriate skill levels. For more information, go to www.eteamz.active.com/csraheat. To confirm your attendance, contact Lance Abbott at email@example.com or at (706) 860-8539.
- The Augusta Open "Drug-Free" Powerlifting Championships will be held Saturday, Jan. 26 at 11 a.m. at the Holiday Inn, located at 2155 Gordon Highway. Numerous awards will be given out. There will be a $5 admission for all spectators. For information regarding events and divisions, call the Python Power League office at (706) 790-3806 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Georgia Carolina Wrestling will be presenting its first live wrestling event titled, "Downtown Throwdown," on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Sector 7G. Wrestlers from the past and present will be in attendance. Admission is $3. GCW is a program in Augusta spotlighting wrestling in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. For more information, visit www.gcwonline.tk.