Huckabee has ability to lead

As Arkansas governor from 1997 to 2007, Mike Huckabee accomplished remarkable things:

- turned a $200 million state budget shortfall left by his Democrat predecessor into a $844 million surplus, even after cutting taxes 94 times;

- eliminated capital gains taxes on home sales;

- reduced capital gains taxes for business and individuals;

- cut welfare rolls by almost 50 percent;

- doubled the standard deduction and the child care credit;

- eliminated the marriage penalty.

Huckabee improved public schools and teachers' pay from among the lowest to among the most competitive in the nation, by making schools more accountable with progressive incentives; with curricula challenges including the arts; and emphasis on student achievement. Charter schools and school choice were promoted and grew. Worthy of note, Mike Huckabee, his wife and all three of his grown children attended 12 years of public schools.

Another accomplishment included taking Arkansas from some of the worst roads and bridges to some of the best in the nation over more than 10 years.

As president of the United States, Huckabee will have five principles that would help guide economic policymaking of behalf of all Americans: focus on more income, better jobs and home ownership for middle class families; work with the Federal Reserve for pro-growth, low-inflation economy; create jobs as we build up our defenses and build up our country's roads, bridges, water systems and sewer systems; invest in energy independence as we unleash the American ingenuity to conserve, explore and invent our way to independence in energy; and move toward fair taxation allowing American workers to keep their entire paychecks, and American businesses to compete on a level playing field with their foreign competitors.

I believe Mike Huckabee has the honesty, determination, compassion, faith and integrity to lead the United States in the next four critical years.

Jodie C. Galloway, Augusta, S.C.

otpor
otpor 01/17/08 - 06:33 am
Huckabee's comments on

Huckabee's comments on bringing "God's principles" back to the White House make me very wary of him. I doubt seriously that America is going to elect a former evangelist, though; Super Tuesday is going to kill him.

deekster
deekster 01/17/08 - 07:32 am
Why is he an ex pastor turned

Why is he an ex pastor turned politician? Sounds like Pat Robertson to me. Follow the money. I wish we could have a "God Fearing" president who would lead by faith and example. But that would be contrary to the Bible. "My Kingdom is not of this World", said our Savior. Wake up Christians before all of the "oil has leaked from your lamps". False prophets are selling false security. Your Redemer will not sit on a throne in Washington DC.

deekster
deekster 01/17/08 - 07:35 am
Huckabee seems like a likable

Huckabee seems like a likable guy. Someone you would want for a neigbor. But why, why why would you leave a postion more vital than all of the government jobs in the world. More sacred than any trust on earth. Leading souls to Christ far outweighs leading them to Washington DC. Changing lives one at a time is the mandate given Huckabee and all Christians.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/17/08 - 08:58 am
Ms. Galloway left out another

Ms. Galloway left out another accomplishment. Huckabee had the taxpayers of Arkansas pay the college tuition of illegal aliens and their children.

fd1962
fd1962 01/17/08 - 09:04 am
Sounds too good to be true?!

Sounds too good to be true?! How exactly does he propose to do any of this? Miracles?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 09:12 am
Huckabee has a lot of good

Huckabee has a lot of good qualities, but I'm very leery of anyone the N.H. NEA endorses. They would commit collective suicide before endorsing a conservative. Still, compared to everyone the opposition has to offer....

fd1962
fd1962 01/17/08 - 09:13 am
I don't know about you,

I don't know about you, deekster, but when someone starts telling me what a big Christian they are, I instinctfully tighten my grip on my wallet.

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 09:47 am
I have nothing aginst

I have nothing aginst Huckabee or the fact that he is religious.
I just don't think he has what it takes to be president. BTW, I have never had someone tell me they are a Christian and then try to take my money.
I am for a real conservative..Fred Thompson.

Chuchi
Chuchi 01/17/08 - 09:57 am
There are no thrones in D.C.;

There are no thrones in D.C.; we have no kings, only elected representatives. It may be that this candidate feels God is calling him to make a change of vocation and become a leader for a larger group of people than his former congregation. A U.S. president is a different kind of shepherd/leader, but a shepherd/leader nevertheless. If any candidate can maintain Godly principles and lead this nation --- which is not impossible --- then that is a good thing. A president can be a person of faith while observing the rights of others to not be persons of faith. Because this is America, it is OK for a former pastor to run for public office. There is nothing wrong with that. And God can make the impossible possible, whether through a miracle or not. This is turning out to be an interesting election year. I can't wait to see who gets the nomination for both sides.

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/17/08 - 09:59 am
Wow...if I "cut" your taxes

Wow...if I "cut" your taxes 94 times, and only raise them 10 times, I get lots of credit, eh? So if each of the 94 "cuts" amounts to $1, and each of the 10 increases is $100, do I still get credit? For those educated in public schools--like myself--who have not risen above their miserable education, that means that I gave you $94 and then took away $1000....

shivas
shivas 01/17/08 - 10:10 am
I think this country is

I think this country is lookig for a dynamic leader who offers a new and positive vision. To find that you have to look at Hillary and Obama. The republicans continue to preach the same message they have for the past 30 years, and unfortunately, their record of failure does nothelp them.

Ga Values
Ga Values 01/17/08 - 10:16 am
In the words of that famous

In the words of that famous American Rush

January 15, 2008

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Mark in Standish, Michigan, I really appreciate your holding on. Welcome to the program.

CALLER: Hello, Rush.

RUSH: Hi.

CALLER: Sorry to deviate from your monologue for just a minute, but you had a woman call yesterday that just frosted me to no end that if either Huckabee or McCain won the nomination she was going to sit the election out.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: People like her, I coined a term, a call them TV Republicans, and it doesn't stand for television, it stands for tunnel vision, because they need to take the blinders off and see the bigger picture. If they sit out the general election, the Democrat wins it by default, whichever one of the Three Stooges wins it. Guess what? In the next four years, there's going to be probably one, maybe two Supreme Court vacancies come up. Do they really want one of the three bozos over there appointing the next two Supreme Court justices? Is Clinton gonna appoint another Ginsburg, or is she going to do another Scalia? Is Obama going to appoint another Justice Thomas or is he going to do somebody like Breyer or Stevens? Do they really want a liberal appointing the next two Supreme Court justices? They need to take the blinders off, Rush. They need to look at the bigger vision and quit being Tunnel Vision Republicans.

RUSH: I understand what you're saying. I hate to tell you this, but she's not alone. I'm here to tell you, if either of these two guys get the nomination, it's going to destroy the Republican Party, it's going to change it forever, be the end of it. A lot of people aren't going to vote. You watch.

END TRANSCRIPT

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 11:02 am
Hillary says during every

Hillary says during every speech she makes that she has been doing this for 35 years. So she is definitely the more experienced candidate by 5 years. The Repub's only have 30 years.

jshep67
jshep67 01/17/08 - 11:30 am
sorry guys, but I gotta' go

sorry guys, but I gotta' go with SHIVAS to the point that the Republican candidates are becoming more and more disappointing. Huckabee is beholding to the christian zealots in this country and that is just as dangerous as moveon.org. He looks like a tired old man, but as it stands, the senator from Tennessee gets my vote right now. WHY does abortion have to be an election issue? Let's stick to what's important to us right now: Closing the border and eliminating the tax code.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 11:45 am
All Christians should be

All Christians should be killed to save this country. Only decadence can set you free. Vote Democrat. ic. (for shivas: satire)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 11:55 am
I agree with you jshep67,

I agree with you jshep67, those two subjects, along with the defense of our country, are the primary topics in this election.

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 12:07 pm
shep..Abortion doesn't have

shep..Abortion doesn't have to be an election issue, it should have to be an every-day issue.. The right to life is a serious matter. Now..enough said.

shivas
shivas 01/17/08 - 12:11 pm
Tom ga hunter is a perfect

Tom ga hunter is a perfect example of the majority of republicans. He gives Rush credibility, and actually basis his political views on what a talk show entertainer says. Good points jshep67. We may disagree on road to accomplishing the important things, but I don't disagree with what you identify as important. patriciathomas, I hope you are keeping yourself warm since that icewater in your veins is already quite cold. Maybe sit by the fire and read a nice Clinton book. That should heat you up.

Republicant
Republicant 01/17/08 - 12:13 pm
In response to my own post

In response to my own post yesterday regarding Hannity's dislike for Huckabee, I understand now. Anyone that thinks re-writing the constitution to fit in with their personal deity's law is a good idea is not fit to lead.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 12:23 pm
Republicant, great idea. I

Republicant, great idea. I would have never thought to respond to my own post. Kudos.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 12:23 pm
shivas, it doesn't take ice

shivas, it doesn't take ice water to repeat the left wing message, just brain damage. I guess I should have added (satire) to the post. I'll take care of that.

Republicant
Republicant 01/17/08 - 01:00 pm
Multiple personalities will

Multiple personalities will do that to you.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/17/08 - 02:06 pm
i want to ammend the

i want to ammend the constitution so that no homo can breathe
american air. i am not against them, i just dont want them breathing christian american air. also muslims should be sent a picture of the gates of hell to prevent terra. see this abdul? mess with mike, make mikes day..........

walk_american
walk_american 01/17/08 - 02:06 pm
I don't want a President that

I don't want a President that will break into tears at the drop of a hat. What kind of respect will other countries give to a President in tears? If your going to run for the office then you have to have the B@##s to handle it, whether you are a man or woman. I don't think Hillary has them.

critter
critter 01/17/08 - 02:06 pm
The Republicans have so

The Republicans have so embedded themselves with the religious right in this country that now they're having a hard time explaining to them why the religious right is supposed to only vote Republican, not actually run for office.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/17/08 - 02:15 pm
the right uses the religious

the right uses the religious zealots and the left uses so called poor and minority. the right panders to the rich and corps and the left panders to the rich and corps. then they lead us over the globalist cliff and start wars to divert attention from the mess they have made and all they have stolen. sweet deal........... sewage all of them except ron paul and he doesnt stand a chance because he is honest.

jack
jack 01/17/08 - 03:28 pm
Go Fred!

Go Fred!

jshep67
jshep67 01/17/08 - 05:07 pm
LaTwon.. you had me until

LaTwon.. you had me until your little quip about Mr Paul. He may be honest, which anyone should certainly appreciate, but he is also DELUSIONAL to the point of humor. To think if we leave the muslim radicals alone they will leave us alone is to believe in the tooth-fairy. Also, I have found most of his supporters, whom I have met anyway, to be pseudo-facist in that they love to shout people down & call names instead of debating the issues. It's true, the Christian Zealots have held the republican party hostage for some time now.., can't argue there, but to make a mockery of our mission overseas is a big mistake. And for you to state that your candidate is the only honest person is, well, dishonest.

jshep67
jshep67 01/17/08 - 05:08 pm
oh wait.. you didn't say ONLY

oh wait.. you didn't say ONLY dishonest. My apologies.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 01/17/08 - 06:32 pm
You're misrepresenting Paul's

You're misrepresenting Paul's position. Paul's view is that if we would aggresively solve energy policy here at home, we could disengage from the Middle East because we would not need them. Muslim whackjobs can't go far with no $$$. Look at Africa. Far more virulent sociopaths down there and yet no one does anything. Why? Because they don't have the resouces to constitue a threat and because we are never around for them to shoot at. (HINT: Darfur, you're on your own). If we would reduced energy consumption/ increased fuel effeciency by 30%, we would no longer need OPEC oil. They would all starve to death because we are the only ones dumb enough to pay $100/barrel for oil. Without us over there getting in their resources and paying them to shoot us for the priviege, they would collapse back into a feudal society that was only a threat to themselves. Screw teaching them democracy! Teach ourselves to save gas. You are correct, however, the Paul is deluded if he thinks the oil industry that has the Republicretins bought and sold would ever let him do anything.