- turned a $200 million state budget shortfall left by his Democrat predecessor into a $844 million surplus, even after cutting taxes 94 times;
- eliminated capital gains taxes on home sales;
- reduced capital gains taxes for business and individuals;
- cut welfare rolls by almost 50 percent;
- doubled the standard deduction and the child care credit;
- eliminated the marriage penalty.
Huckabee improved public schools and teachers' pay from among the lowest to among the most competitive in the nation, by making schools more accountable with progressive incentives; with curricula challenges including the arts; and emphasis on student achievement. Charter schools and school choice were promoted and grew. Worthy of note, Mike Huckabee, his wife and all three of his grown children attended 12 years of public schools.
Another accomplishment included taking Arkansas from some of the worst roads and bridges to some of the best in the nation over more than 10 years.
As president of the United States, Huckabee will have five principles that would help guide economic policymaking of behalf of all Americans: focus on more income, better jobs and home ownership for middle class families; work with the Federal Reserve for pro-growth, low-inflation economy; create jobs as we build up our defenses and build up our country's roads, bridges, water systems and sewer systems; invest in energy independence as we unleash the American ingenuity to conserve, explore and invent our way to independence in energy; and move toward fair taxation allowing American workers to keep their entire paychecks, and American businesses to compete on a level playing field with their foreign competitors.
I believe Mike Huckabee has the honesty, determination, compassion, faith and integrity to lead the United States in the next four critical years.
Jodie C. Galloway, Augusta, S.C.