Remarks were racially insensitive

Richmond County Board of Education President Jimmy Atkins has proven to me that he has a plantation mentality. Also, I consider him as someone lacking professionalism and class.

I'm saying these things because of the manner in which he stereotyped Dr. Wayne Frazier, the newly appointed principal to Tubman Middle School. It was totally insensitive for Mr. Atkins to indicate that, because of Dr. Frazier's 6-foot-5, 240-pound physical stature, it makes him the ideal person to be the new educational leader for Tubman Middle School.

For him to say such a thing lets me know that he views people of color apparently as being individuals who possess 100-percent brawn attributes and zero intelligence. Why couldn't he have publicly stated that Dr. Frazier is an intelligent educator who has the knowledge and expertise to bring about positive educational changes at Tubman Middle School?

Actually, that would be the type of positive statement that I would expect from Mr. Atkins in his leadership position. Am I to assume that, in the near future, he's going to say something stereotypical about his peer board members of color? He just might view them as being educationally inferior and he being educationally superior.

Since the days of the antebellum South, I do confess that today's South has evolved into being a better place for people of color. But people such as Mr. Atkins can't let go of old anti-ethnic attitudes that create biases toward people of color.

Therefore, I beg Mr. Atkins to bury his state of mind of the old South. Mr. Atkins needs to make a public apology for the racially insensitive remarks that he thrust at Dr. Frazier. This makes good sense. If he does this, then I will forgive his ignorance.

E. Maner, Augusta

sanders20
sanders20 01/18/08 - 09:58 am
E Maner...be careful. if i

E Maner...be careful. if i were Jimmy Atkins, I would sue you for defamation, then sue the AC for being so stupid for printing the story.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 10:48 am
What is this the word police

What is this the word police (or nazi's more appropriately). It is getting ridiculous to be stereotyped for using specific language. "Someone is such a gay person " doesn't always refer to sexuality. Given the N bomb is a black colloquialism then it is fair game for anyone to use-otherwise it would be discriminatory. How could calling someone the N word be racist if blacks use the term-they don't own it nor do homosexuals own the word "gay". Words can have a number of semantic meanings. Now referring to the man's size having to do with race is such a logical fallacy and only exposes the letter writers bias.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 01/18/08 - 10:57 am
"Now referring to the man's

"Now referring to the man's size having to do with race is such a logical fallacy and only exposes the letter writers bias.".............................must resist making rude anatomical comment

KSL
KSL 01/18/08 - 11:12 am
" Mr. Atkins needs to make a

" Mr. Atkins needs to make a public apology for the racially insensitive remarks that he thrust at Dr. Frazier. This makes good sense. If he does this, then I will forgive his ignorance."
The only thing ignorant was the premise of the letter writer.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 11:30 am
ROFLMAO, I hadn't noticed my

ROFLMAO, I hadn't noticed my faux paux. See semanitics and another sterotype!

truthbeliever
truthbeliever 01/18/08 - 11:32 am
If E. Maner hadn't spoken out

If E. Maner hadn't spoken out about what he/she believes to be the truth, Atkins' comments would have been the "office joke" this morning. People make racially insensitive comments. They know that others can read between the lines, but they don't expect them to speak out against such behavior. Bizarro, your ignorance truly shows if you think most African Americans refer to ourselves and each other as N-word. As a matter of fact, I think you know that not to be the case, but just like to perpetuate your outdated ridiculous notions. Also, I've found that when people say, "I knew you were going to play the race card", the issued is deeply rooted in racism. May God have mercy on all of you who refuse let go of som much hatred and resentment. And by the way, we're about as tired of hearing about the civil war as you are of hearing about the slavery years!

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 11:37 am
truebeliever your not use to

truebeliever your not use to bizarroisms. I didn't say most. That is your own illogical conclusion. I said it is a black colloquialism which is only partially true because whites call each other that too. I don't play race because there are no RACES only clines of variation. Race is a social concept not a biological one. I could be black. I think this LTE is idiotic and only reveals the writers bias. I would hope few Americans would use the N word but that would not be reality. Besides my statement is a qualified statement in literature and music. I have no malice or hatred for anyone, except myself at times (well and a littel road rage at times). Remember not to cast stones brother-I was trying to make a point. Really you also make my point. I mention the N bomb and Im stereotyped as an ignorant racist. I could be black, married to a black woman, or have adopted a black child and I would still be labeled a bigot. Sad.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 01/18/08 - 11:43 am
Could someone recommend an

Could someone recommend an online course in "Reading Between the Lines?" I naively thought that what you say, is what you say.

KSL
KSL 01/18/08 - 11:49 am
Here is a short course:

Here is a short course: Reading between the lines is subjective. What one person thinks the meaning is can be totally different from another's interpretation.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 11:55 am
Kathysue that sounds like

Kathysue that sounds like what a women who has been married for a number of decades would say? Not that I'm impuning or making a reference to your age. Jeez. I am just steppin all in it today. That Bizarro is a racist, female and age discriminatin son of gun-I hope he rots in hell.

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/18/08 - 12:00 pm
Just another rant column from

Just another rant column from a black racist whose IQ is smaller than his brain size!

jshep67
jshep67 01/18/08 - 12:01 pm
truthbeliever.., the TRUTH

truthbeliever.., the TRUTH is: If you're LOOKING FOR ANYTHING.., you can usually find it.., even if it's NOT THERE. Back in the 70's the govt came up with a panel to review certain books issued to libraries on govt facilities to make sure there were NO sexual overtones. A mistake was made & the wrong book was sent for review: It was a book about TANK operation (as in military weapon). The review panel found that when one man sticks his head out of the tank and 'guides' the path of the tank by using his feet to touch the shoulders of the man actually steering it.., THAT was sexually improper. MY POINT: If you really WANT TO, and I think truthbeliever REALLY wants to, read something into what was said or printed, than you can come up with just about anything. To top it all off, I'll bet dollars to donuts you don't even know EXACTLY what was said. It's cliche', but it fits here: GROW UP, GET A LIFE.., at least get a HOBBY besides running around reading peoples MINDS and determining the WORST.

KSL
KSL 01/18/08 - 12:04 pm
No problema, Bizarro. I'm

No problema, Bizarro. I'm proud to say we working on our 40th this year.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 12:12 pm
Shew!!! Thanks it was getting

Shew!!! Thanks it was getting a little hot! Forty years!!!!!!Wow!I hope your husband appreciates you and takes you own an exotic adventure this anniversary. We men often take our wives for granted. What a complementary reflection on you and your husband. You could probably write a book. I'd probably title my book "Lady and the Tramp". Well "Lady and the Racist Tramp". What a dog.

KSL
KSL 01/18/08 - 12:20 pm
How are you doing, Bizarro?

How are you doing, Bizarro?

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 12:29 pm
I am well but I have just

I am well but I have just been an angry elf lately. Not exactly sure why. Although an issue of great frustration has been testing my patience-and sanity. They say giving in it to the Lord is the answer but he don't seem to want it either-hee,hee. How are you. Thanks for the e-card. I haven't been to that email box in some time and just recently found it. Not that I'm flirting but you are a cute little elf-don't look like a woman married for forty years at all. Oh, me bad. Sounds like flirting to me.

dani
dani 01/18/08 - 12:43 pm
Points to ponder..That went

Points to ponder..That went by the way side when Clinton announced that "it depends on what is is," and that the acts he performed with monica was not sex. Times have changed.

mommie2
mommie2 01/18/08 - 12:50 pm
I think Maner made a big deal

I think Maner made a big deal of nothing. I also think the journalist messed up grammatically and misrepresented Mr. Atkins.

"School board President Jimmy Atkins said Dr. Frazier, (who is 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, has a stature that demands respect), but he can also get down on the level of the student to get to the root of a child's problems."

I see nothing but positive in those statements.

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/18/08 - 02:22 pm
B, what was this referring

B, what was this referring to?

dokken36055
dokken36055 01/18/08 - 02:41 pm
Dang I was going to say how

Dang I was going to say how much this guy is playing the race card when it is not needed to be played but to get his name in the paper ,but y'all beat me to it so I will say he stuck his foot in his mouth side ways then shoved his other one in with it for good measure .

mable8
mable8 01/18/08 - 02:59 pm
So what is racist about being

So what is racist about being called a "big man?" If a person is 6'5" tall and weighs 240 lbs, I would certainly say he is a big person--how do you get 'small' out of that? Political Correctness is the Great Divider in this nation--get over it people and start being honest with yourselves AND others. I'm so tired of everything being reduced to racism I could scream. Face it E. Manor of Augusta--the person you refer to IS A BIG MAN. Get your head out of the sand and be realistic. Can't stand whiners like you becaused it is your tripe that fans the flames of racism.

dani
dani 01/18/08 - 03:57 pm
baroness..How did you become

baroness..How did you become involved in a blog of this sort in the first place. Check them out before you submit information. You have no way of knowing who you are dealing with. This goes back to responsibility for your actions.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/18/08 - 04:05 pm
Most of you people just want

Most of you people just want a good race fight.I don't buy you logic and it is foolish to pretend you are so right.Why don't you dwell on things we have in common.Hey Baroness, it is too bad some people can't disagree in a peaceful manner.I hope everything works out for you.If you know who is responsible, you should report them to law enforcement.Stay safe, I'll be praying for you.

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/18/08 - 05:18 pm
That's my question B, how did

That's my question B, how did your name come up in the first place?

dani
dani 01/18/08 - 05:28 pm
Oh My Gosh. Baroness..How

Oh My Gosh. Baroness..How dreadful.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/18/08 - 07:09 pm
The kids in that school need

The kids in that school need to be afraid of someone! If the new principal fits the bill in that area as well as in his expertise at being in charge, then so be it! Anyway, that's how I took the comment.

owensjef
owensjef 01/18/08 - 09:07 pm
I know race is never a

I know race is never a factor in the CSRA. If you are a blind man,

KSL
KSL 01/18/08 - 09:29 pm
owensjef, did you find the

owensjef, did you find the comments in the story to be racial? The comments about the size of the man? I can tell you that it would come close to describing my husband. He is a tad shorter and a bit lighter in weight (and from what I glean from the article, in skin color as well), but he's still pretty intimidating looking.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 01/19/08 - 06:48 am
240lbs. is really not fat for

240lbs. is really not fat for a 6'5" man, I've dated someone who was 245 and 6'3" and he was very well built. I don't see anything racist about that. But Glascock1 made a comment about the school being a zoo, if my kids went there I would find that quite offensive. In fact I find it offensive and my kids don't attend the school.

KSL
KSL 01/19/08 - 07:58 pm
panther, glascock is not

panther, glascock is not known for tact. But it does seem that from comments posted about the school, it needs someone to take control of an out-of-control situation. I have a friend who taught at Murphey. Problems there too. She left.

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.