Remarks were racially insensitive

Richmond County Board of Education President Jimmy Atkins has proven to me that he has a plantation mentality. Also, I consider him as someone lacking professionalism and class.

I'm saying these things because of the manner in which he stereotyped Dr. Wayne Frazier, the newly appointed principal to Tubman Middle School. It was totally insensitive for Mr. Atkins to indicate that, because of Dr. Frazier's 6-foot-5, 240-pound physical stature, it makes him the ideal person to be the new educational leader for Tubman Middle School.

For him to say such a thing lets me know that he views people of color apparently as being individuals who possess 100-percent brawn attributes and zero intelligence. Why couldn't he have publicly stated that Dr. Frazier is an intelligent educator who has the knowledge and expertise to bring about positive educational changes at Tubman Middle School?

Actually, that would be the type of positive statement that I would expect from Mr. Atkins in his leadership position. Am I to assume that, in the near future, he's going to say something stereotypical about his peer board members of color? He just might view them as being educationally inferior and he being educationally superior.

Since the days of the antebellum South, I do confess that today's South has evolved into being a better place for people of color. But people such as Mr. Atkins can't let go of old anti-ethnic attitudes that create biases toward people of color.

Therefore, I beg Mr. Atkins to bury his state of mind of the old South. Mr. Atkins needs to make a public apology for the racially insensitive remarks that he thrust at Dr. Frazier. This makes good sense. If he does this, then I will forgive his ignorance.

E. Maner, Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 11:27 am
This is the s.o.s. If you're

This is the s.o.s. If you're called smart, it's an insult, if you're called dumb, it's an insult. If you're said to act white, it's an insult, if you're said to act black, it's an insult. If you're called large, it's an insult, if you're called small it's an insult. If you're good at your job, it's an insult, if you're not good at your job it's an insult. Mr Maner, some of us are getting the idea that you can't be spoken to without being insulted. Some of us think that there are people that want to be insulted, so EVERYTHING insults them. How much credence do you think your LTE has for thinking people? P.C. guidelines are too stupid for sensible humans.

christian134
christian134 01/17/08 - 11:30 am
Mr. Maner the only racist

Mr. Maner the only racist remarks around are yours. It is remarks like yours that keep the pot boiling.

csuer
csuer 01/17/08 - 11:30 am
WHY-O-WHY does someone ALWAYS

WHY-O-WHY does someone ALWAYS have to bring up the RACE card and then read into EVERYTHING??!?!?!!!!!! Boy, E. Maner, you went WAYYYYYYY out there on this one. How does his size fall into an "Old South" category!?!?
The statement about Dr. Frazier's stature implies nothing about his color. Sounds to me like you were reading into it. If I were to read into your comment about his intelligence and expertise then what race would that fall under??? Also, I think kids would tend to listen to someone w/that kind of presence. Maybe Mr. Atkins thought the kids would listen to what Dr. Frazier has to say and teach BECAUSE of his stature?!?!? Maybe?? I think his stature is a plus and his intelligence is a given, if Mr. Atkins/Richmond Co. Brd of Ed. hired him... Maybe his credentials actually speak for themselves. Last but not least, while you are busy pointing a finger at what you think Mr. Atkins implied, take a look and see that you have 3 fingers pointing back at you. I think your assumptions and judgements are a bit off.

heres14u
heres14u 01/17/08 - 12:36 pm
E. Maner... write an apology

E. Maner... write an apology for this letter and we may forgive your ignorance.

thetroll
thetroll 01/17/08 - 01:00 pm
to e.maner i guess there are

to e.maner i guess there are no 6foot5 240 lb white men ,i see nothing racial about this statement all i see is someone trying to read something into a statement that is not there.asking him to apologize for this just exposes you for someone trying to create friction where there is none get a life

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 01/17/08 - 01:08 pm
Just looking for something,

Just looking for something, just anything to BMW about.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/17/08 - 01:54 pm
lets hold a funeral for the

lets hold a funeral for the "brawn" word and send mr atkins to sensitivity training. i think i will get into that business. a white man cant move his mouth without a lawsuit or a complaint from the true racist. i will get rich............ VOMIT

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/17/08 - 02:38 pm
The only response to this

The only response to this letter I can think of is.....should we pity you for being that ignorant or despise you for being a [filtered word] troublemaker just trying to keep things stirred up. I choose #2!!

Glascock1
Glascock1 01/17/08 - 02:47 pm
I saw them interview Frazier

I saw them interview Frazier on the news,and he seemed to be a good man, committed to restoring some order in that zoo.He'll need all 6'5" and 240 lbs with some of the fights they have over there.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 01/17/08 - 02:51 pm
I do think Mr. Atkins'

I do think Mr. Atkins' remarks about Dr. Frazier's stature were out of order.
I diidn't think about race. but smaller persons than Dr.Frazier.
I have seen some situations where children ran all over some big guys and I have seen some situations where some small stature lady or man had terrific dispcipline.
It depends on the person and not the stature.

jack
jack 01/17/08 - 02:52 pm
E Maner is a long time racist

E Maner is a long time racist writing the AC. Nothing new here. Dr Frazier is the right person for Tubman. He is educated, a man of large stature which gets middle school boys attention, and he is a former marine and knows how to instill discipline, You go Wayne.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 01/17/08 - 03:20 pm
I do think Mr. Atkins'

I do think Mr. Atkins' remarks about Dr. Frazier's stature were out of order.
I diidn't think about race. but smaller persons than Dr.Frazier.
It depends on the person and not the stature.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 01/17/08 - 03:44 pm
Boy, some of you guys have a

Boy, some of you guys have a serious case of denial.While I don't think he(Mr. Atkins) meant any harm, the letter has plenty of merit.There are to sides to any coin. Mr, Maner is entitled to his view, just like you.

justtired
justtired 01/17/08 - 06:55 pm
"two" sides

"two" sides

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/17/08 - 07:18 pm
There are four sides to a

There are four sides to a dice. I think this is SIZE discrimination-I smell a lawsuit. Oh yeah let's put down the fat guy. Oh and he is black too. Guess he got dat way eating too much chickin and watermelon. Lawdy lawdy. Now that's stereotyping!!!!!!Some people are way too thin skinned. Furget about dit!

wolf
wolf 01/17/08 - 11:07 pm
Six sides to a die. Everyone

Six sides to a die. Everyone agrees that Dr. Frazier will be a great addition to a troubled school. Can't we leave it at that?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 01/17/08 - 11:09 pm
Mr. Maner needs to find

Mr. Maner needs to find something better to do with his life than live in some fantasy world where every person and every remark is supposedly racist.

WW1949
WW1949 01/17/08 - 11:16 pm
E, Maner is a woman. She has

E, Maner is a woman. She has always been a little off kilter in her opinions. When I read the article I didn't think of color and did not even know what is color Dr. Frazier. I only thought about size and knew it would have to be a big person to take over Tubman. What a stupid letter by her.

RegWmsATL
RegWmsATL 01/18/08 - 12:27 am
SIZE MATTERS, especially when

SIZE MATTERS, especially when it comes to instilling discipline in young men who have never had a male authority figure in their life. It's too bad we don't have more 6'5", 250lb men in education - Black or White. The biggest problem in education is trying to maintain discipline. Teachers should be there to teach, but unfortunately, they spend way too much time trying to maintain order and a good learning environment. If you don't think size matters, you've got your head in the sand.

As It Is
As It Is 01/18/08 - 01:38 am
E. Manor, I'm sure you have

E. Manor, I'm sure you have heard "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt. First, get real with the "insensitive comment crap" as it sure as heck doesn't warrant a letter to the editor or even a discussion and since it wasn't said to you or about you the complaint shouldn't have anything to do with you. Where in the world could you possibly get "race issues" from this gentlemans comments unless you are racist yourslef and that is all you think about. NOTHING this man said has anything to do with race and without your comments none of us would know or care what the persons race is. Furthermore, if you know the individual and the school then you certainly would understand what he meant.

As It Is
As It Is 01/18/08 - 01:40 am
And to the Augusta Chronicle

And to the Augusta Chronicle -- The only purpose served by the printing of this article is to show how ignorant racist people are. While that may have some merit in the long run it only furthers prejudice and problems. This writer didn't deserve to see their ignorance in print.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/18/08 - 04:04 am
Boy our society has gone to

Boy our society has gone to pot with this P.C. crap. It's not my fault I robbed someone, I was poor. It's not my fault I killed someone, I was abused. It's not my fault I can't read, the school curriculum wasn't geared toward my needs. Bunch of crap. It's not where you came from but where you go that matters. Learners learn, trouble makers cause trouble. Separate the two and let the learners get a education. Quit trying to read things into it that are only in YOUR head. I don't care if Dr. Frazier is pink with purple polka dots. If he can turn a troubled school around and his size intimidates students, so be it. It's gotta be better than always blaming someone else for your situation. I am so sick of that crap!!!!!

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 01/18/08 - 07:57 am
I'm only 5'7" but I'm pretty

I'm only 5'7" but I'm pretty heavy. Could I apply?

critter
critter 01/18/08 - 08:17 am
I think a 6'5" 250 lb bearer

I think a 6'5" 250 lb bearer of discipline would be effective - or at least scare the crap out of the pupils no matter what their race....

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/18/08 - 08:39 am
Oops! Your are partially

Oops! Your are partially right Wolf. There are twelve sides to dice. Six sides to a die. Anyways I didn't read any disparaging or racially sensitive remarks. No "nappy", no "N-bomb", etc. Seems like a big man, but when I was 18 I doubt I would have been intimidated-remember youth and having no fear or sense.

dani
dani 01/18/08 - 09:39 am
Has E Maner apologized yet

Has E Maner apologized yet for writing this letter?

jshep67
jshep67 01/18/08 - 09:45 am
justus & shivas.., PLEASE

justus & shivas.., PLEASE weigh-in on this one. We have GOT top put a stop to all of this NONSENSE. I wish someone would ask MR FRAZIER what HE thinks about all of this. I truly believe he would refer to it as a NON-ISSUE. Mr MANER.., you should be ASHAMED of yourself for your petty, childish flame-throwing. It is YOU that are stuck in the past & can't let go of it. Take a long walk off a short pier, you rabble-rouser!

way
way 01/18/08 - 10:47 am
get.the.beam.out - depends on

get.the.beam.out - depends on what race u r lol
race was never mentioned in the original sentence ! get a life mr. maner.

sanders20
sanders20 01/18/08 - 10:50 am
E Maner...go and find another

E Maner...go and find another job. hope you didn't spent money on education for this job. if so...ask for a refund..dumb***!!

dani
dani 01/18/08 - 10:56 am
This person is probably

This person is probably senile and can't be held responsible. It sure sounds like an elderly person who has lost touch with reality.