Public housing should be temporary

I feel the same way the man from Martinez feels about public housing ("Quit sponging off of public housing," Jan. 11).

It should be temporary for people who have fallen into hard times or the elderly who have to live on a very limited income.

I read the recent comments of a 26-year-old being thankful for being able to get out of her present living area. I am hopeful that she is trying to better herself so she can become independent. A 26-year-old is too young to start a life in public housing -- unless I don't know the whole story.

Peggy Dye, Evans

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/13/08 - 07:43 am
A strong effort and program

A strong effort and program should be instituted to help people kick the subsidy addiction. For the easily confused, I'm not referring to those in need, I'm referring to those that make bad choices(for whatever reasons) and feel it's their right to have the public treasury support them.

getalife
getalife 01/13/08 - 09:16 am
Many are born into this world

Many are born into this world thinking they have a right to sponge off the government. I think we need to help those in need, but should have limited help for those able to find a job and work. We have created a society that doesn't want or need to work, let the government pay for their food, housing, fatherless children and lazy, drunk and drug addict boyfriends.

christian134
christian134 01/13/08 - 09:21 am
Amen to that peggy dye. The

Amen to that peggy dye. The time has passed beyond the point of being able to help someone under going hardtimes: generations have come and gone since the orginal ones applied for help. If people are strong, well and capable to work let them work instead of sitting around all day selling drugs, taking drugs, and quite frankly many are just downright lazy. Those who are truly in need help them as the Bible has taught. Elderly, disabled (really disabled) orphans and widows should be helped but generations of young living off the system help them? I say no and no! Of course the one way to help subsidize the working taxpaying citizen is to pass the Fair Tax then those who live off the system would be forced to pay for something.

luckie
luckie 01/13/08 - 09:35 am
I am amazed at the numbers of

I am amazed at the numbers of people moving to this area from Florida, Chicago, South Carolina and all going to the housing authority for assistance and medicaid. It is bad enough to support your locals with your hard working tax money but newcomers to the area and I really don't understand how they get it so fast. We need homeless shelters that are lined up like military barracks instead of passing out section 8 vouchers so freely.

dani
dani 01/13/08 - 10:07 am
The FAIR Tax won't help with

The FAIR Tax won't help with this problem. The plan would only affect people drawing a salary. Those who are unemployed would be paying a sales tax and not gaining a thing by having payroll tax eliminated. Until the government programs are "fixed" and are used for the intnded purposes, we won't have a solution. It's kind of like the immigration problem. We are trying to stop the abuse without stopping the flow of traffic.

justus4
justus4 01/13/08 - 10:13 am
Public Housing will not

Public Housing will not become temporary and the writer answers the question, why? She states, "It should be temporary for people who have fallen on hard times, or the elderly who live on a very limited income." Well, there are millions that live their ENTIRE lives on very limited income and their situation is not going to change in their life time. This is a by-product of capitialism and our way of governing, having set-asides, and who is important. Example: The amount of tax dollars going to all welfare programs are less than three percent of budget, while tax dollars going to foreign aid is more. Now, if given a choice, we should be helping Americans-not foreigners, so quit with the bashing of Americans who are poor. They went through a process thats legal and authorized and they should take advantage of this program. And by the way, where are all those Southern Baptist Christians, who are pilliars of virtue and charity?

NedaKlugh
NedaKlugh 01/13/08 - 10:32 am
Random comment regarding

Random comment regarding Southern Baptist Christians, so you think the persons living in public housing should sponge off the Southern Baptist Christians instead of the government? Well perhaps that is a good idea since only the Southern Baptist would be effected by the entitlement mentality and not all taxpayers. This is a novel idea that should be considered.. how about taking care of yourself by perhaps working?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/13/08 - 11:28 am
dani, I don't understand your

dani, I don't understand your reasoning. With a consumption tax, illegals, cheats, unlawful, aliens of all sorts and virtually everyone buying in this country would be contributing to the national treasury. The IRS as we know it would be gone. It isn't a tax on income, but a tax on consumption.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/13/08 - 11:31 am
justice4, check your facts.

justice4, check your facts. Social programs, including all of the freebies, are 60% of the national budget. That means EVERYTHING else is less. All Americans have an equal OPPORTUNITY to succeed. Capitalism isn't the culprit, socialism is.

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 01/13/08 - 12:04 pm
NO! These people should not

NO! These people should not take advantage of public housing or anything for that matter...That's what the problem is now, people are taught that it is okay to take advantage of people and things and to use and abuse whenever they get the chance... What ever happened to morals and values? What happened to working hard for what you have so you can appreciate it more? What ever happened to WANTING what you HAVE, instead of HAVING what you WANT?...

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 01/13/08 - 12:36 pm
It's really a mixed feelings

It's really a mixed feelings situation because people are created this way. Be dependent but forget about being independent. It's always easier to get than to work hard to get it. That's the mentality that's created. Government has part of the blame but also the people that are on government assistance because in their minds that's all they know and so they pass that along...

happythoughts
happythoughts 01/13/08 - 01:15 pm
You're always going to have

You're always going to have low income families. Min. wage is not enough, today businesses want to cut back on people, wages and hours. If you want to read some history on housing projects buy Augusta Archive Subscription and read 1939 and 1940 info where three low income housing projects were built for whites and blacks.

Rose
Rose 01/13/08 - 01:15 pm
One thing that would help

One thing that would help with support of kids is for child support services to get off their lazy behinds and do their job by getting non custodial parents to pay child support. It makes no sense for a young mother to wait yrs for the father to even be served court papers.The mother I am talking about has even located the father, and child support waited till he was hiding again before they said again that they have not located him.

dani
dani 01/13/08 - 01:16 pm
pt..Perhaps I have

pt..Perhaps I have misunderstood. I thought that payroll deductions would be eliminated which would be good for the working people, but the unemployed don't have any deductions so they don't get a break. BTW..It was not meant to be taken seriously. This is some of the arguments I hear against it when the dead-beats' complains that they would have to begin paying taxes..

dani
dani 01/13/08 - 01:24 pm
We have people in government

We have people in government who teach the public to believe that they should have everything they want. It has been a way of getting the votes of the middle class and poor. When the Democrats say they are the party of the "little people" they are telling the truth in their own minds. It's called you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Then, the rich politicians get richer and the poor get poorer, the poor and lower middle class have supported the Democrats at the polls for years, and they remain lower middle class and poor.

jack
jack 01/13/08 - 04:35 pm
Justus4, we Soutjern Baptist

Justus4, we Soutjern Baptist (and other) Christians can be found down at the food kitchen feeeding the homeless. When was the last time YOU were there? BTW, I was born into an extremely poor family of eight but none of us stayed in that condition.

sherrynjason2426
sherrynjason2426 01/13/08 - 07:42 pm
Get This: For some strange

Get This:
For some strange reason when a white person needs assistance they are treated so rudely by the offce on fenwick street. My friend had been previously to apply for assistance and her caseworker was rude and unbearable, my friend thought it was because she was whte. I thought my friend was overreacting and that this could not be true, she asked me to see for myself and go to her appointment with her....boy was I wrong. These ladies working there were so rude to the both of us, and I wasn't even applying for assistance. The strangiest thing was I was thinking maybe the caseworker was having a bad day until I see her talking and laughing with other people applying for assistance. I don't know why I am posting this, nothing will ever be done about it but I think it should be known that certain people are treated badly while others are praised for abusing the system

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/13/08 - 08:09 pm
The affirmative action

The affirmative action employees the government uses for repetitious bureaucratic work feel the subsidy programs are restitution programs and they feel they're tenured and most of their managers 'moved up' through the ranks and feel the same way. Who knew they'd act nasty to white people taking their money.

WW1949
WW1949 01/13/08 - 09:19 pm
Sherry, I hope you found out

Sherry, I hope you found out the caseworkers name and reported it to her supervisor and the state supervisor.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/13/08 - 09:42 pm
justus as always you dont get

justus as always you dont get the point!! No one is bashing poor Americans or the elderly on limited income. They are bashing the young able bodied lowlife pos's that refuse to work becuase they are just plain sorry (btw, they grow old also)!! they dont deserve anything except to be sterilized. And they may have went through a legal process, but it does not mean they did not fraudulently obtain this legal assistance, if they did do i legally, they would not refuse to work, keep having kids and scamming the system. I would say I'd like to sit on my butt and not work and have tons of kids and let everyone else pay my bills, but I have pride and will work, and I'm not that selfish to knowingly have children in a ghetto situation and impeding their chances for success!! these people we refer to didn't happen to have a hard time and end up this way, they started out planning on being this way becuase it's usually the only life they know thanks to their sorry parents!!!!

sherrynjason2426
sherrynjason2426 01/14/08 - 01:03 am
yeah I did, but that did no

yeah I did, but that did no good. The supervisor was just about worse than her

KSL
KSL 01/14/08 - 02:13 am
Keep taking it up till you

Keep taking it up till you get results. Maybe they will clean house, get rid of sorry caseworkers and their supervisors.