Parents, it's time to comment on middle schools' rezoning

Parents of Columbia County middle school pupils have one more chance to offer input on a plan to rezone the county's middle school boundaries next year.

The school system is holding its second and final public hearing at Evans Middle School tonight to present its rezoning proposal to prepare for the opening of Stallings Island Middle School in August.

Superintendent Charles Nagle said he will make a recommendation on the rezoning plans to the board at its Jan. 22 meeting. He said the proposal has been modified slightly since the first public hearing was held last month.

For instance, the area between Louisville and Appling-Harlem roads was rezoned from Greenbrier Middle to Grovetown Middle.

However, Mr. Nagle said, "It's a better fit to move it to Harlem Middle School and Harlem High School because they have the room."

He also said that, based on parental input, two middle school pupils who live in Shenandoah Woods subdivision off Evans to Locks Road likely will be rezoned for Stallings Island.

"We do listen at these hearings," Mr. Nagle said. "Our reasoning is still good, but maybe (parents') is a little better."

For more information about the rezoning proposal, call the central office at (706) 541-0650 or send e-mail to zoning@ccboe.net.

Reach Betsy Gilliland at (706) 868-1222, ext. 113, or betsy.gilliland@augustachronicle.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Columbia County middle school rezoning public hearing

WHEN: 7 tonight

WHERE: Evans Middle School, 4785 Hereford Farm Road

Queen4842
Queen4842 01/10/08 - 09:28 am
I will be there for sure. Why

I will be there for sure. Why is it that they will take students from a school that shows higher averages and put them in a lower ranked school, even though they live no where near the school.

GAgirl
GAgirl 01/10/08 - 09:43 am
I absolutely AGREE with you

I absolutely AGREE with you Queen4842 on that one! I was angry enough that we were being rezoned to the first location, but now that we may be rezoned to an even worse location; I'm just beyond words.

isupport
isupport 01/10/08 - 10:09 am
Where are you being moved to?

Where are you being moved to? Why is it so bad?

who
who 01/10/08 - 12:41 pm
i am so glad that greenbrier

i am so glad that greenbrier snobs are getting rezoned to crappy and poor and ghette grovetown middle.that is soo funny.

whyme
whyme 01/10/08 - 02:25 pm
I guess when you describe

I guess when you describe people at a school as "crappy, poor and ghette" that shows that you are not helping matters...and you can't proofread!

whyme
whyme 01/10/08 - 02:26 pm
And no, I'm not from

And no, I'm not from Greenbrier nor Grovetown!

MartinezWest Augusta
MartinezWest Augusta 01/10/08 - 04:04 pm
This is going to be funny.

This is going to be funny. Nobody who childs would have gone to greenbrier. Would want them to go to harlem high or middle. Now of course greenbrier has more drugs. It was ranked 3rd with lakeside 1st and butler 6 in the whole state. For drug cases in 2006 2007. But harlem high school will definitely have more fights. But columiba middle has the most drugs, but grovetown probably will have more fights

GSneed
GSneed 01/10/08 - 05:45 pm
Better shape up before they

Better shape up before they "give" Evans to Richmond County. Wouldnt want that, now would we?

GAgirl
GAgirl 01/10/08 - 05:55 pm
Excuse me but not every child

Excuse me but not every child @ Greenbrier is a snob. We don't live in a nice big house nor do we have a large income. My child is in no way spoiled or snobby. If it were your child being moved from school to school you wouldn't like it either.