Problems plague Tubman Middle

Something "dramatic" must be done before the state takes over Tubman Middle School, Richmond County's superintendent said Tuesday.

Dana Bedden: Head of schools says Tubman Middle could be turned over to state control if the situation does not improve.  Special
Special

Dana Bedden said he has already staved off a "wave" of teachers wanting to leave the school, which has languished on the state's "needs improvement" list. Tubman is among a small group of schools that has been on the list longer than any others in Georgia.

Three teachers abandoned their jobs during the holiday break, and "there are a number of them who have expressed concerns," Dr. Bedden said.

He had to begin denying requests to transfer out of Tubman, prompting one teacher to quit rather than continue teaching there.

The school began this year with a new staff from principal on down to comply with a state-mandated restructuring plan. The plan lured teachers to the school with $500 each year plus 5 percent above their regular pay as part of a three-year contract. Breaking the contract could mean they have to pay back the stipend.

During school board committee meetings Tuesday, Dr. Bedden said a Richmond County resident described the school as a "recipe for disaster" because three "projects" feed into the school and the school has so many inexperienced teachers.

New teachers tend to be assigned to the most challenging schools, he said.

Dr. Bedden said he personally sat down to discuss the problems with Tubman teachers, one of whom "was in tears in his office."

It's imperative that something be done to turn the school around, Dr. Bedden said. If Tubman doesn't make adequate yearly progress this year, then it will become a "state-managed" school, he said.

The superintendent said a state deputy superintendent and an associate superintendent have already visited the school this year.

Melody Wooten, the vice president of the Tubman PTA, said she worries about how the school is affecting her sons.

Despite being honor roll students, their grades have slipped because of the constant interruptions for discipline problems.

"It's not the teachers. It's not the academics. It's the atmosphere," Ms. Wooten said. "Even if the state takes over, it's going to take time for the atmosphere and the students to turn around."

Dr. Bedden said he is considering his options and developing a plan for the school.

One possibility is replacing the principal. Thomas Norris became principal this school year, but has been out on extended medical leave.

The superintendent could change the structure of the school and also the area it draws its students from, he said.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

Give credit where due
Give credit where due 01/09/08 - 05:45 pm
I mulled it over carefully, I

I mulled it over carefully, I couldn't let this go . A smile crept upon my face he's messing with a pro.
Next day I took him shopping at the local Goodwill store. i told him to pick out all you want , there's shirts and pants galore.I've called CPS who said they didnt care if you wore Kmart shoes instead of Nike airs. I've cancelled that appointmentto take your drivers test, CPS is unconcerned , so I'll deciede whats best. I said "no time to stop and eat, or pick up stuff to munch and tommorrow you can learn to make your own sack lunch.Just save the raging appetite and wait til dinner time, we're having liver and oinions .. a favorite dish of MINE."He asked "Can we please rent a movie to watch on my DVD? "Sorry but I sold it for new tires for my car" I rented out your room, you'll take the couch instead, CPS just requires a roof over your head. Your clothing wont be trendy now,I'll chose what we eat.The allowance that you used to get will buy ME something neat.I'm seeling off your ipod,dirt bike and rooler blades, so check out the Parents Bill of Rights , its in affect today.Hey hot shot why r u crying why are you on your knees, r u asking God to help you out instead of CPS ?

Dan White 01/09/08 - 05:59 pm
Oh, I love that GiveCredit!

Oh, I love that GiveCredit! That's about what I had to do with my daughter when she was 17, but thank God, she straightened out. And southernmama, don't forget that there are security guards in the schools. But the idea of a sheriff substation at Tubman is a brilliant idea.

hope2009
hope2009 01/09/08 - 06:10 pm
Remember the movie "Lean on

Remember the movie "Lean on Me?" Sounds like Tubman students, parents, teachers and the community needs another Joe Clark.

workingmom
workingmom 01/09/08 - 06:12 pm
I'm beginning to think we

I'm beginning to think we need a "boot camp" style alternative school in Augusta as a different type of "magnet school". You would need to meet certain criteria to attend and it seems as though we have no shortage of qualified students!

dougmo
dougmo 01/09/08 - 07:02 pm
Restart Corperal punishment.

Restart Corperal punishment. Problem solved.

Why
Why 01/09/08 - 07:07 pm
Kids raised by kids...a cycle

Kids raised by kids...a cycle that will continue to repeat itself! Any teacher that would work in a school like this is INSANE! The state cannot fix this problem, it's a family issue!

Window Shopper
Window Shopper 01/09/08 - 07:26 pm
Kick'em out. No one is

Kick'em out. No one is guaranteed an education at any cost. The system should be for the children to grow and learn and not be held back by some disruptive children who cannot or will not be educated. Send them to special schools for their special needs and let the majority of the children get on with it in peace and quiet !! We already have the special schools in place. They are called alternative schools.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 01/09/08 - 07:44 pm
I'm feelin ya workingmom, you

I'm feelin ya workingmom, you can ride on my wagon anytime cause I like the way you think.

It Is Time
It Is Time 01/09/08 - 07:49 pm
SOme of the comments made

SOme of the comments made demonstrate the ignorance that has permeated Augusta. The principal was (unfortunately) in an auto accident. Virtually all Education majors are taught classroom management. I am a dedicated volunteer at the school and the problem IS NOT THE TEACHERS OR THE ADMINISTRATION! The misbehavior of the students is beyond the limits of extreme behavior. My son attended there three years ago. My daughter attends there now. The teachers, the counseling staff and the principals -past and present- were and still are deeply committed to the school. The former principals-Beard and Lumpkin- gave one hundred percent, along with everyone else; to include the custodians and lunchroom personnel. I witnessed them as unsung heroes who made sacrifices to take time to look for missing children long after the school day ended; buy supplies AND clothes for kids with no coats. I saw it all. I use to complain as many of you have until I was asked to get in the trenches. My attitude has changed dramatically. I have worked with kids from wealthy families. Their children acted up, it was hushed or they were funneled into private schools. WAKE UP! It is not about race or economics!

ladie
ladie 01/09/08 - 07:53 pm
first of all let me set the

first of all let me set the record straight.yes it is a bad school, parents are the fault of the problem and the main root of the problem. when they are called to the school,what do they do when they get there ? they curse at the admin staff, b/c their child never does wrong!!. they do it in front of the child which further allows the child to contiinue to do what it is they do!now as far as the princibal is goes yes there are 3 on every floor main princibal,assist princibal, and princibal of discipline, and guess what she's white!!! did yall no that?? so b/4 you all out there bash the two black princibals no what it is youall are taking about. and mr.norris was out only due to surgery and wasn't suppose to be back on duty now-but he came back to try to do the job that was asked of him, now as far as these teachers go if they can't take the heat at tubman then they need to find replacement jobs in another field they're not going to have it good everywhere they go in teaching!.and yes i agree with 16 & 17 &18 yr.olds being in a middle school with 12yr.etc. they should be in high school no doubt, but if richmond county school system does not have a back up plan for things like this,

TMS
TMS 01/09/08 - 08:00 pm
WHY? I am one of those INSANE

WHY? I am one of those INSANE teachers that you speak of. One thing you are right about is the problem stems from the parents. We call parents to let them know that a child is failing, he refuses to do his work, and is very disruptive in my class. I ask them to please come in for a parent conference. The parents refuse to come in. The same child's cell phone is taken away from him/her and the parent is there the same day waiting to jump down my throat for taking the phone. This is the support we get from parents.

ladie
ladie 01/09/08 - 08:06 pm
continue where i left off,

continue where i left off, then this is always going to be a problem in any school here in richmond county. yes we make comments about it but we all need to be about the things we are saying and try to help all the schools as well as tubman middle. i know for a fact as one of you have stated it will not work even if state steps in b/c the situation is far out of hand.i need to also stress you can change princibals all you want but when you have parents that don't bother to come to tubman when we have specail event's for the kids that, or have parents that are young and don't care, this is what you get.there are kids attending tubman middle school who are raising themselves,living in horrible conditions, don't bath, have no lights,gas,water,heck most have no phone in the home, thosethat have a phone in the home don't no their home number b/c the parents don't give it to them so that they don't be contacted during the day while their sleeping from being up all night,!!!for some of the kids they come to school just to eat the lunch and breakfast .so i say to you all that don't really know what's going on in there ,if you have a family member that attends tubman make it your busniness

ladie
ladie 01/09/08 - 08:11 pm
continue,to come in and help

continue,to come in and help out or observe what goes on in there on the real!!! and yes there are kids in there who are selling drugs, they talk about it,(the kids do) but no matter what is said about tubman it's not the last school to suffer problems many more will if we as a community don't stop talking about it and help to be about it.!!

TMS
TMS 01/09/08 - 08:14 pm
AMEN!! (ladie)

AMEN!! (ladie)

ladie
ladie 01/09/08 - 08:17 pm
i 'am ladie and i meant to

i 'am ladie and i meant to say in my response is that i disagree with 16& 17 &15 yr. olds being in middle schools with 11& 12 yr olds but also too we need to try to change the no child left behind act by writing to congress etc, b/c it has one too many flaws in it anyway!!!!!

gcap
gcap 01/09/08 - 08:56 pm
Hats off to Dr. Bedden for at

Hats off to Dr. Bedden for at least trying to do something. Won't work, though. The system is beyond repair.

7even
7even 01/09/08 - 09:06 pm
Expel the habitual trouble

Expel the habitual trouble makers. Where are the 'Bobby Banks' type principals these days. Mr. Banks was a RC high school principal in the 70s - 80s. He ran a tight ship. It's not the only missing piece in the puzzle, but a strong principal is key - in my opinion...

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 01/09/08 - 11:16 pm
ladie, you can ride in my

ladie, you can ride in my wagon also. Heck advertencia sounds to me like we need to get them white teachers out of there and out of there quick.

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/09/08 - 11:43 pm
If you remove the public

If you remove the public housing and section 8 [filtered word] kids out of Tub, the school will perk right up!! Dana, stupid is , is what stupid does, learn from it and take ACTION!

sassytree
sassytree 01/09/08 - 11:44 pm
It sounds like ladie and

It sounds like ladie and adventercia are Tubman employees. Ladies????? Say it ain's so......

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/09/08 - 11:46 pm
advertincea, really you are

advertincea, really you are so full of s--t, you stink!!!

Mudfish
Mudfish 01/10/08 - 01:15 am
Dr. Shealey was a meek, not

Dr. Shealey was a meek, not weak, and mild mannered man who did not play. He was well respected by all students that knew him. As you said, Augusta Mom, he was short in height but he was not short any other way. He would stand toe to toe with a six foot student and discipline him if necessary and the way he did it, the student respected him. Another person that was greatly respected was Coach Hogan. He would not shy away from someone who was bigger than him and no one dared to call him by his first name. Today, when I see him, as an adult, I still call him coach. Educators like Dr. Shealy, Coach Hogan, Mr. Ed Brantley and others were well respected by student and parent alike and they loved their students.

justtryingtomakeit
justtryingtomakeit 01/10/08 - 01:55 am
Ladie, Are you a teacher?? I

Ladie, Are you a teacher?? I agree with most of what you said, but I have to disagree with your comment about teachers who couldnt take the heat. Most teachers at Tubman get up every monring and go to work with the intentions of educating all of thier students and putting in very hard work doing that. This means staying up late, coming in early and putting up with things that you shouldnt have to put up with. But, a person can only take so much of anything. I know for myself that nothing, including a job, is going to be 'peachy' all of the time. You have to take the good with the bad. But when the bad outweighs the good on ANY given day, then you have to weigh your options and do whats best for you. No love has to be lost. I do hope that Tubman can be turned around. There is no quick fix for the problems that go on, but I do believe that it starts at home. Our generation of young parents have this 'entitlement' and 'pass the buck' attitude. No one wants to be accountable for thier actions and no one wants to take responsibility for what they have become and what they have created. Until people start recognizing these things, they will continue breed ignorance and disrepect

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/10/08 - 08:54 am
Dr. Bedden acts like it would

Dr. Bedden acts like it would be the end of the RCBOE as we know it if the state took control of Tubman. I ask again, "Why?" What would be so bad about the state taking over Tubman? It would free up RCBOE personnel to concentrate on the other schools. It would funnel new money, new personnel, new ideas into Tubman - maybe Tubman might improve! Can anyone with the RCBOE post here and tell us what is wrong with state involvement with Tubman?

walk_american
walk_american 01/10/08 - 01:24 pm
These kids obviously don't

These kids obviously don't want or care about an education so don't give them one. Allow the students who honestly care about learning to tranfer somewhere else and close Tubman. Let the thugs sit in the projects killing themselves with their drugs and guns. It will save the county and the state a load of money.

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 02/18/08 - 11:44 am
Jshep67, "If you want to get

Jshep67, "If you want to get technical", Pursefreak was not quoting condelieeza, she was asking her a question. No need for quotations. Glass houses!!!!!!!

Vehicle overturns in Belk lot

NORTH AUGUSTA -- A vehicle has overturned after an accident in the parking lot near Belk’s.