Prep statistics due 2 p.m. Wednesday
Individual player statistics are due by Wednesday at 2 p.m., no exceptions.
The Augusta Chronicle will publish a listing of area leaders in the following categories: scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, field goal percentage, free throw percentage, three-point percentage and blocked shots.
Nominations for player of the week for boys and girls sports will be due at the same time. The stats and area players of the week will run Fridays.
Stats can be faxed to (706) 823-3408 or e-mailed to prep sports writer Jeff Sentell at email@example.com. Call (706) 823-3425 with any questions.
Hingis gets banned 2 years for cocaine
In London, Martina Hingis was banned for two years Friday for testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon last year.
The International Tennis Federation said an independent anti-doping tribunal found that Hingis, who announced her retirement Nov. 1 on the day she revealed the positive test, had committed an offense.
The 27-year-old Hingis denied using cocaine, but the tribunal rejected suggestions there were any doubts over her sample.
Although the five-time Grand Slam winner is now retired, Hingis' suspension is backdated to Oct. 1. She has three weeks to contest the ruling and punishment.
- In Hong Kong, Maria Sharapova beat Russian compatriot Anna Chakvetadze 6-4, 6-2 to advance to the final of the JB Group Classic exhibition tournament. In the final, Sharapova will meet the winner of the semifinal between Venus Williams and Russian Elena Dementieva played late Friday.
- In Doha, Qatar, Andy Murray defeated top-seeded Nikolay Davydenko 6-4, 6-3 and will face Stanislas Wawrinka in his second consecutive Qatar Open final.
- In Perth, Australia, Serena Williams and Mardy Fish beat Jelena Jankovic and Novak Djokovic 7-6 (5), 6-2 to give the United States its fifth title in the Hopman Cup mixed team tennis tournament.
City approves Cubs' Wrigley expansion
In Chicago, the Cubs received permission to add 70 "bullpen box seats" along the third base line at Wrigley Field, and install additional signage inside the park.
The city of Chicago on Thursday gave approval for the changes at the 93-year-old ballpark, which has landmark status.
- Hideo Nomo agreed to a minor league contract with the Kansas City Royals.
- Nationals right-hander Luis Ayala was hit in the left forearm by a shotgun pellet during a hunting trip but is expected to be able to participate in spring training.
Street Sense, Curlin finalists for award
In Beverly Hills, Calif., Ken-tucky Derby winner Street Sense , Breeders' Cup Classic winner Curlin and Derby runner-up Hard Spun were among the Eclipse Award finalists announced.
The three rivals were nominated for 3-year-old male of the year honors.
Rags to Riches , who beat the boys in the Belmont Stakes, along with Octave and Panty Raid were nominated for 3-year-old filly.
Steve Asmussen , who trained Curlin; Kiaran McLaughlin ; and three-time Eclipse winner Todd Pletcher were trainer of the year nominees.
Treatment begins for Hamill's cancer
Olympic gold medalist Dorothy Hamill is undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
Hamill said in a statement she is being treated at the Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. The prognosis is favorable, but the 51-year-old Hamill said she will miss some of the "Broadway on Ice" tour while she is having treatment.
Hamill became America's sweetheart and a fashion icon when she won the gold medal at the 1976 Olympics. She's one of seven U.S. women to win gold.