Let me pick my own candidate, please

I have a request for the media: Let me pick my own candidate. To paraphrase -- "You report, I'll decide." Please, just report the results. I don't need to know "expert" opinions, who is leading in your polls or your "front-tier" candidate.

Do media polls mean anything to the public? Polls mean more to the press and pundits. At this time of year -- while pundits are desperately counting political yard signs and bumper stickers -- the public is putting away Christmas decorations, getting their children settled back in school and returning to their regular work schedules.

While this may cause the media, pundits and pollsters consternation, I don't view this as a negative. The press/pundits prefer there be a clear front-runner, because it makes their job easier. It is far more difficult for them when their preordained political landscape changes, or their expert analysis is shown to be faulty.

The abysmal reporting of the Iowa caucus is the latest example. Iowans hadn't even begun to cast votes and the media had already erroneously reported candidates were withdrawing from the race. Ballots were still being counted and the media had already determined what the results "really" meant to the national process -- what Iowa means to New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Super Tuesday, and who is still a "serious" candidate. Give me a break!

Stop trying to shape the political landscape. Just report on it. Report what the candidates say; I can determine what it means. I don't need you, or a host of political experts, to tell me what I heard or read, or who should be taken seriously -- I can figure that out. Let the primary winner be determined by the number of votes cast and, accordingly, the number of respective delegates won.

You don't need to predetermine the winner of the next primary; just accurately report who won the last one.

Wayne J. Clarke, Evans

As It Is
As It Is 01/05/08 - 05:48 am
To the best of my knowledge

To the best of my knowledge you are not required to watch the news or read the paper. Take the polls for what they are worth but they are certainly a positive addition and pundits are needed as well.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/05/08 - 07:50 am
Wha-a-a-a! The soap operas

Wha-a-a-a! The soap operas are so dumb they make me sick! Every day I watch them and they're just so dumb! Wha-a-a-a!

christian134
christian134 01/05/08 - 08:37 am
We may not be required to

We may not be required to watch the news but it is impossible to avoid it. The problem is that the media has always played to the public who by and large love a juicy story of sex, intrigue, drugs, murder and so on and so on.... Which by the way is a sad and pathetic state of affairs. So there you have it As It Is.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 01/05/08 - 09:27 am
No candidate should be able

No candidate should be able to campaign on TV or Radio more than 3 months. And if they hold a public office at the time of running they should have to resign. they are not going to do us justice while they are spending all their time politicking.

dani
dani 01/05/08 - 10:35 am
Mr Clarke..These blow-hards

Mr Clarke..These blow-hards earn their living this way. If they aren't allowed to make their guesses about what will happen they might have to find a job. That would make them very unhappy. We can't have unhappy people now... can we?

crackertroy
crackertroy 01/05/08 - 10:41 am
One point Clarke has is about

One point Clarke has is about the polls. Does anyone know how they come up with those numbers? I have never heard it explained. Do they poll a small group? Do they count the numbers at the rally? Do they just make them up? Since the media focuses so much attention on these "polls," it seems they would take the time to explain. Do any Chronicle bloggers out there know? Please respond.

dani
dani 01/05/08 - 11:00 am
All seemed to use polls

All seemed to use polls performed by the Des Moines Register. Perhaps their web site could help.

LBenedict
LBenedict 01/05/08 - 12:57 pm
I fail to see how a sample of

I fail to see how a sample of 600-1100 "likely voters" is indicative of how a few million will vote. Polls had Carter ahead of Reagan, Reagan with a 5-7% edge over Mondale, Bush 4% over Dukakis with a margin of error of 3.5%, and we all know how those elections panned out. Oh yeah, Dan Rather declared Gore the winner in Florida before all polling places closed...ha ha ha!

jack
jack 01/05/08 - 04:32 pm
Crackertroy, there are many

Crackertroy, there are many ways to take a poll. The most accurate is random polls such as taking a phone book and dialing several numbers from each section (such as the As, Bs, Cs) and then asking stanard questions on whatever the subject is. The more people you call, the more accurate the poll. The most accurate political poll is by Zogby in my opinion, but don't know how they obtain the data. At any rate, I have been inundated with the campaign crap to the poing I don't even watch Fox any more until the damn primaries are over.

dani
dani 01/05/08 - 05:14 pm
After the caucus in Iowa and

After the caucus in Iowa and Hillary was giving her 'victory speech', Bill said to remember that he came in 4th back when.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.