Fred Thompson needs our support

As I researched the candidates, I found only one whom I believe I can truly support for the presidency -- former U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson.

Thompson believes in federalism -- understanding the need to keep the balance of power between local, state and federal governments, and that too much power vested in too few hands in Washington makes for an unresponsive government that tramples our constitutional rights.

Only Thompson can hold the Reagan Republican coalition together to defeat the Democratic nominee in November. He does this by being an across-the-board conservative -- strong on social policy, fiscal policy, defense issues, protecting our Second Amendment rights and stopping illegal immigration. He understands that securing our nation should be our top priority, whether by building our military against the Islamist threat, or securing our borders at home.

I hope that you will join me in support of Thompson's campaign for the presidency.

Jason Goings, Graniteville, S.C.

wildman
wildman 01/02/08 - 06:47 am
I think he's a good person

I think he's a good person for the job but sounds like he would rather be doing something else.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/02/08 - 08:51 am
He's a bit too old and tired.

He's a bit too old and tired.

standtall
standtall 01/02/08 - 09:15 am
Fred is not too old or tired.

Fred is not too old or tired. Instead, he is an adult who understands the real world limitations on his ability and
America's ability to influence events. America is powerful but not omnipotent. He is my choice.

giveitsomethought
giveitsomethought 01/02/08 - 10:12 am
poor leadership, poor actor

poor leadership, poor actor

fenn138
fenn138 01/02/08 - 10:37 am
He has my vote.

He has my vote.

The Knave
The Knave 01/02/08 - 11:54 am
How sad a commentary on the

How sad a commentary on the ignorance of the American electorate that even one voter would give a second look at tired old Freddie, the weak link in the actors stable at "Law & Order." The best that can be said about this blow-hard is that he had accumulated enough money as a high-paid lobbyist to latch on to a trophy wife who aspires to be another Jacqueline Kennedy and to whom Thompson refers as his "favorite possession." And, oh yes, Tricky Dicky Nixon thought Freddie was a great fellow since Freddie tried to get Dicky off of the Watergate hook. Freddie is also a best buddy of felon, Scooter Libby, a guy who knows in which closets Dicky Cheney's and The Shrub's skeletons are kept.

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 12:15 pm
How sad that you think he is

How sad that you think he is old and tired. And if we want to start discrediting candidates for the company they keep, watch out.Hillary especially is in bad trouble. Some prefer the slick, snake oil salesmen such as Romney, Hillary & Edwards. I love the sincerety and knowledge of Fred Thompson. On Feb 5th I will vote for Fred. It might go nowhere, but who else is there?

ConcernedCitizen1
ConcernedCitizen1 01/02/08 - 12:20 pm
I'm glad most people are not

I'm glad most people are not falling for this bad actor's bad attempt to appear presidential.

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/02/08 - 12:47 pm
It appears stronger and

It appears stronger and stronger that multi billionaire Michael Bloomberg will throw his hat in the Presidential race. He does not have the management experience of Rudi Giuliani but I do wonder if he thinks he could literally buy the Presidency? Joe Kennedy did in 1960 and it worked.

fugitivetracker
fugitivetracker 01/02/08 - 01:07 pm
Why not Ron Paul?

Why not Ron Paul?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/02/08 - 01:21 pm
Maybe the reason Fred is so

Maybe the reason Fred is so tired is his new trophy wife.

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 01/02/08 - 01:52 pm
You've got to be kidding.

You've got to be kidding. Thompson has absolutely no chance of being the candidate, and I'm almost willing to bet he wins not a single primary -- except perhaps in the deep south.

fenn138
fenn138 01/02/08 - 02:22 pm
He still has my vote.

He still has my vote.

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 03:53 pm
Fred over Paul because he is

Fred over Paul because he is not the living in the past. Until Ron Paul understands that we are now a global nation he will go no further than he is now.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/02/08 - 04:42 pm
You mean the global policeman

You mean the global policeman and global nanny and global Santa Claus.

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 05:16 pm
little. whatever you wish it

little. whatever you wish it to be. I wouldn't want to take your candy.

The Knave
The Knave 01/02/08 - 05:29 pm
Little lamb put a lot of

Little lamb put a lot of wisdom into a few words. Ron Paul is criticized for being "old fashioned" because he believes that it is a bad idea to waste blood and treasure and spend America into oblivion by walking around the world wearing jack boots -- to expand the American empire and to impart the American "way of life," whether the natives like it or not. Hooray for the Ugly American! Freddie Thompson IS the Ugly American, in appearance, philosophy and temperament.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/02/08 - 05:54 pm
Fred Thompson is the new Bob

Fred Thompson is the new Bob Dole.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 06:45 pm
Fred needs to get off his

Fred needs to get off his behind, show some fire, and get a conservative message out. I don't know what he's waiting for, but I can't support him until I believe that he takes this thing seriously.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 06:50 pm
I would vote for any GOP

I would vote for any GOP candidate before supporting obama bin laden or hillary, as will most of the voters this November. A new GOP congress, and a new GOP president. I can see it coming a mile away. Can't wait to hear the whiney liberals cry.

Faces of Survivial: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...