We can start conserving right now

Climate experts tell us that the world needs to act decisively now, not five or 10 years from now, to reduce our carbon footprint.

One might think that the United States is getting serious about global warming -- with Congress passing, and President Bush signing, a bill to raise vehicle fuel-efficiency standards. It must be noted, however, that we gave ourselves 13 years to accomplish that goal. In the newspaper recently, we read "Mazda crossover gets bigger engine." I have observed this kind of thing in the reporting on almost every new vehicle.

We know from the standards in Europe, and even China, that we could achieve much of the year 2020 goal immediately by using known technology, and by eliminating all the vehicles made with high performance in mind, and those with the extra ton unneeded for simply transporting us. Buyers of these models clearly are unconcerned or unaware of global warming. What is happening in the Arctic and Antarctica must not be dismissed.

Besides a stiffer move to improve vehicle fuel efficiency, we should include a hefty carbon tax, offset by a cut in payroll taxes. We would have the incentive to reduce our carbon footprint, and could even save money. The more popular "cap and trade" would be slow, and rife with game-playing. It is uncertain who would pay and who gets paid, or how much it would reduce coal or gasoline use, the two most significant carbon emitters, but it's likely that a good part would come out of our pockets.

Gasoline isn't for fun anymore -- which brings me to NASCAR, but that's another story.

Victor Reilly, Aiken

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/01/08 - 08:53 am
Victor, stop going to Al Gore

Victor, stop going to Al Gore movies! Or if you insist on going, stop writing letters to the editor. Buy a horse and have a quiet life.

eybir
eybir 01/01/08 - 09:43 am
You can only squeeze so much

You can only squeeze so much energy from a gallon of gas & even less from a gallon of ethanol... good luck to our car manufacturers making those 35 mpg trucks & SUV's.

constitutionnow
constitutionnow 01/01/08 - 10:10 am
Go Amish!!!

Go Amish!!!

jack
jack 01/01/08 - 10:34 am
Victor, earth warming is

Victor, earth warming is happening and man can't do a damn thng about it. Natural cycle. I agree with PT, stop going to Al Ozone movies based on pseudo science or go and quit writing assanine letters to the editor.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/01/08 - 11:15 am
eybir, interesting display

eybir, interesting display name, check out www.fastcompany.com/magazine/120/motorhead-messiah.htm. . It talks about getting a LOT more energy out of a gallon of gas.

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 11:29 am
My New Years resolution is to

My New Years resolution is to find a church I feel comfortable and go whenever possible. It's hard to find a small, intimate, older church that preaches from the King James version of the Holy Bible. Any suggestions?

soldout
soldout 01/01/08 - 11:35 am
ddawn check out 1340 am each

ddawn check out 1340 am each morning at 10am and see how you like Frank Garner. The church is a small open church and I have been in church all my life and it is the best situation I have found. Lots of Word, lots of ministry and a shepherd who smells like the sheep.

On the climate; man has nothing to do with the warming and global warming will become a big joke in pretty short order.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/01/08 - 12:46 pm
good video here.... global

good video here.... global warming or global governance?

global warming is already being taught in schools and the solution is?????????? world government. what else? good statistics and facts in this video. http://video.google.com/videoplaydocid=4860344067427439443

critter
critter 01/01/08 - 12:53 pm
I don't see what the big deal

I don't see what the big deal is with 35 mpg. Big whoop - my last car got 30 mpg, and it was from 1992.

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 02:47 pm
It is a good thing that God

It is a good thing that God has a sense of humor.

dawnviolin
dawnviolin 01/01/08 - 06:06 pm
ddawn, our church is small,

ddawn, our church is small, KJV only, and our pastor has been there 30 years. Antioch Baptist Church in Harlem on hwy 78. Two huge flags fly in the front of the church-an American flag and a Christian flag. Can't miss it. Love to have you.

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 06:13 pm
Thank you Dawnv..I will check

Thank you Dawnv..I will check it out.

jack
jack 01/01/08 - 06:14 pm
ddawn, I attend First Baptist

ddawn, I attend First Baptist of Augusta. We are a large church but very close. I don't know what version of the Bible our preacher uses, but he delivers a powerful sermon. If you have kids, there are many programs, including music (instrument and choir for about evrey age). I have attended the same singles Sunday school class for many years and we are a close group also, if you are single. We have activities such as trips to various places, eat out from time to time, have a luncheon each month and have coffee and snacks. We have a minister as our SS teacher who is very knowledgeable of the Bible and Christianity as well as old testament. A lot of discussion. You would be most welcome

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 06:29 pm
jack, I live just a mile or

jack, I live just a mile or so from First Baptist. My family members attend the church. It has grown so large until I feel a bit lost there. I intend to give it another try.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.