Waterboarding is torture

Recently, Attorney General Michael Mukasey, CIA Director Gen. Michael V. Hayden and the White House have all refused to say that waterboarding (simulated drowning) of terror suspects is torture, and illegal under the Geneva Conventions. Everyone seems baffled by this refusal.

The reason is simple. High-ranking people in the Bush administration approved this method of torture early on in the war on terror, and the technique was then used in the field. I think time will reveal that this approval was made by one or more of the following people: former Attorney General John Ashcroft, former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, former White House counsel and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Vice President Dick Cheney, and President Bush.

Despite abundant history to the contrary, waterboarding is not torture because this administration says so. Case closed.

Wesley Ross, Augusta

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/29/07 - 08:09 pm
The torture I have to deal

The torture I have to deal with most is uninformed lefties that feel just because you wish something hard enough and say "case closed" (when they really mean mind closed) enough, a statement becomes true. So, to prove it's truth they repeat it ad nauseam. Explaining that, depending on perspective, everything from rap music to opera is torture just seems to confuse them so they torture thinking people with mindless letters like this one. "There ought to be a law"

Eric
Eric 12/29/07 - 08:39 pm
Well Mr. Ross, let us see

Well Mr. Ross, let us see what you have to say when you are forced to worship Islam and don't have the FREEDOM to say what you feel.

dashiel
dashiel 12/29/07 - 10:42 pm
I think Mr. Ross has got

I think Mr. Ross has got things pegged just about right. And if most of you weren't so far up W's duodenum, you would be ashamed that our great nation has stooped so low.

Eric
Eric 12/30/07 - 12:19 am
And just how would you

And just how would you suggest we gather information from these "NUTS?" dashiel? Ever been in the military? Ever beeen in combat?

sjgraci
sjgraci 12/30/07 - 03:15 am
The Bush administration is no

The Bush administration is no different than terrorist organizations, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, or North Vietnam when it condones waterboarding and torture.

KSL
KSL 12/30/07 - 03:22 am
Sigraci, how many terrorists

Sigraci, how many terrorists have died in gas chambers, starved in concentration camps or have been beheaded? I do believe there is a "slight" difference there. And if you can't see it............

Reality
Reality 12/30/07 - 05:34 am
People are being killed,

People are being killed, these information gathering tactics have always been going on. With the instant news and reporters everywhere, you just hear about it more. Keep the media out of the war zone. Should we just behead them and drag them through the city like our enemy, after they have been tortured?????

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 12/30/07 - 07:35 am
Amen, honest.

Amen, honest.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 12/30/07 - 07:47 am
And you all judged me this

And you all judged me this way?? I think the Bush administration goes above the laws of our country cause he gets away with things and I happen to agree with sigraci, Bush is no better than Saddam.

rufus
rufus 12/30/07 - 07:54 am
I think they should

I think they should waterboard the guy at the 7/11

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/30/07 - 08:25 am
sjgracie and DE2 don't seem

sjgracie and DE2 don't seem to be able to tell the difference between scaring someone and dismembering someone, but we still allow them to vote and post. I feel tortured.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/30/07 - 08:41 am
Of course the terrorist

Of course the terrorist follow the Geneva Convention when dealing with captured. They follow the convention not to use a rusty blade when beheading their victim.

getalife
getalife 12/30/07 - 09:33 am
I feel that this country

I feel that this country should use whatever tactic necessary to protect our citizens. We are dealing with people that have no regard for human life and prefer to kill all, including women and children. They slaughtered 3000 people on 9/11 and are killing hundreds every day in bombings all across this world.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 12/30/07 - 09:38 am
How many of those here

How many of those here against waterboarding, have ever been waterboarded? How many even know what it is?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 12/30/07 - 09:46 am
And oral sex isn't sex

And oral sex isn't sex because the pevious administration said so.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 12/30/07 - 10:04 am
Everything is fair in Love &

Everything is fair in Love & War. Period..... It is not a political game the Democrats and Republicans play for our entertainment.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 12/30/07 - 10:07 am
Bring out the board for

Bring out the board for elliot, sigraci and dashpile!!!!

mgroothand
mgroothand 12/30/07 - 10:29 am
How many people have been

How many people have been killed by waterboarding? I'm sure it is an unpleasant experience but it is part of a training exercise for pilots in our armed forces.

JimCox
JimCox 12/30/07 - 10:57 am
Terrorists prey on innocent

Terrorists prey on innocent men, women and children and i could really care less how we interrogate them. I also think that we should publicize that after we kill them, we will stuff their mouths with bacon and bury them covered with pork so their souls are denied "paradise" for eternity. It worked for McArthur, and would strike terror in the minds of the terrorists, but I guess the left would consider that tactic torture too.

rufus
rufus 12/30/07 - 11:26 am
itswhatitis, I think you're

itswhatitis, I think you're on to something there

HOPE
HOPE 12/30/07 - 11:26 am
The only way to stop these

The only way to stop these terrorist is that we have to be more ruthless than they. The press jumps on the bandwagon when they hear of this type of us using these types of interrogation techniques. They should be ashamed what about the people who died on 9/11 , Afghanistan and in Iraq. The press thinks we are the bad guys. I bet they wouldn't mind these types of interrogations if one of their family had been be-headed or tortured to death. When I go to the Augusta VA and see all these young men without arms or legs. This is war not kindergarten and the terrorist play by their on rules not the Geneva convention. It is a sad day when someone has given their life for their country and the press has the audacity the judge how we treat the terrorist. Let the press go over and do all the fighting and dying and see how face their opinions change.

GETACLUE
GETACLUE 12/30/07 - 11:40 am
We should start waterboarding

We should start waterboarding the media when they publish these stories. Then prosecute the leaker in the administration with treason.

GETACLUE
GETACLUE 12/30/07 - 11:45 am
Good point KPC. How many of

Good point KPC. How many of us would have a job if we recieved oral sex from a subordinate, on the clock, and lied about it under oath. Last time I checked Clinton had a Jurus Doctorate, so education is not an excuse for not knowing. Wait a minute, he is married to Hillary. Maybe thats why he doesnt know what sex is, self preservation.

rufus
rufus 12/30/07 - 12:04 pm
If Hillary does follow in

If Hillary does follow in Slick Willie's footsteps she will have a harder time finding a willing participant to oral sex.

pofwe
pofwe 12/30/07 - 12:32 pm
dashiel, thanks for the word,

dashiel, thanks for the word, "duodenum."

dani
dani 12/30/07 - 12:47 pm
I waterboarded my 3 lb

I waterboarded my 3 lb Maltese last week. I really didn't want to put her through the torture, but she was kinda beginning to look unkempt. While rinsing her off the water pouring into her little face terrified her, she just knew she was drowning. But I pulled her out before that happened and all is well. She is just as happy as she was before the dreadful experience.

john
john 12/30/07 - 01:18 pm
The biggest whiners about

The biggest whiners about waterboarding and panties on the head are probably the same ones that will claim the administration did not do enought to prevent the next attack. Frankly I dont think its any of our business (the public) how interrogations play out. Waterboarding produced results in 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and they kept all their body parts. Scaring someone, sleep deprivation, humiliation is not torture. Mutilation and decapitation, the preferred methods of our enemy is. I would prefer we not loose a couple thousand more citizens if it only takes a water hose in someones face.

jack
jack 12/30/07 - 02:28 pm
Waterboarding is not torture,

Waterboarding is not torture, but a severe interrogation technique that has produced extremely valid intel by such as Shekh Mohammed. After the murders of 9/11, the beheading on the internet of a live civilian, and the barbaric torture, and mutilation of not only four contractors but our soldiers who were captured, I really couldn't care less what interrogation techniques we use so long as we do not intentionally kill or mutilate. Unlike BJ Cliton, GW Bush has done what our President is primarily responsible for doing and that is protecting we Americans, giving those whose jobs it is to get intel on our enemy any way they can..

intheknow
intheknow 12/30/07 - 02:42 pm
What in the hell does oral

What in the hell does oral sex have to do with this article?

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/30/07 - 03:21 pm
There is actually a pretty

There is actually a pretty good article about waterboarding on Wikipedia, at least historical. My elder brothers did worst to me growing up-ya bunch of pansies.

Body found in Clark Hill Lake

About 4 p.m., the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office responded to a call that a white male, around 35-years-old, had been found near the Chamberlain's Ferry Boat landing area, according to Lincoln ...