Dog left world cloaked in love

I am sending this in hopes of finding this wonderful dog's folks.

Special
Special

I found Mary on Christmas Day, on Baker Avenue near the corner of Walton Way. She was standing in a puddle of rainwater and almost on the street itself. It was obvious that she was in peril. I pulled into a parking area beside her and picked her up. She was very weak and frail. She was not wearing a collar, but it was obvious that she was someone's best friend. We named her Mary because it just fit her so well.

I took her to St. Francis Animal Hospital. She was examined and found to be in shock, and she had a massive infection. She was scanned for a microchip ID, and several people checked everywhere they could for anyone looking for her.

Mary was very weak and dying. I had to make the decision to have her put to sleep. I want her family to know that I am so sorry that I could not help her more, but there was nothing else that I could do. I sat on the floor, and Mary was on a warm blanket beside me. I stroked her, talked to her and told her that she was loved. I stayed with her for a long time, and then the kind people at St. Francis took her and helped her out of this world. Everyone there was so kind, and treated her so gently.

I just know that this wonderful dog had a loving home, and I wanted to let her owners know what happened. I know that it will ease their worry. I have dogs, and if the same thing happened to one of mine, I would want to know what happened to them.

Breeda O'Mahoney, Augusta

maryann8654
maryann8654 12/29/07 - 10:27 pm
why isn't there more

why isn't there more wonderful caring people like you in this God forsaken world?
Thank you for being human. No, this is not my Dog but if it had been God Bless you so much. This Story made me cry for the Dog who did not have to die under a car or alone..Stay as you are a wonderful Human Being..Happy New Year from Enterprise, Alabama

dani
dani 12/29/07 - 10:43 pm
I hope the owners will read

I hope the owners will read this and come forward. It might be that Mary was lost and her owners couldn't find her. I sincerely hope it was something like that and that she hadn't been neglected or just left to die.

Ole School
Ole School 12/30/07 - 06:51 am
I have 3 inside dogs, all are

I have 3 inside dogs, all are under 7 pounds. Breeda would you like a 11 week old little puppy it will never get any bigger than 7 lbs ????

tomd
tomd 12/30/07 - 08:06 am

Thank you and God Bless You, Breeda.

jasmine72
jasmine72 12/30/07 - 11:15 am

Thank you Breeda, It is so nice to see there is still human compassion here on this earth. We here so many negative things going on in this world. We have been looking for a house dog for the family, and I know I would have been heart broken if Mary had been mine.But I do know she is in a better place and she had so much love with her till the end. God Bless you!

edst4
edst4 12/30/07 - 12:37 pm
What a wonderful letter. I

What a wonderful letter. I know if my daughter would of saw the dog she would have done the same thing. All the animals we have were rescued from the streets. Wish more people were like you Breeda. You have done a wonderful thing and will be rewarded one day for doing what you did.

Rose
Rose 12/30/07 - 01:22 pm
This story has me crying.I am

This story has me crying.I am going to send it to everyone on my list.

nofrills
nofrills 12/30/07 - 05:15 pm
We need more people like you!

We need more people like you!

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 12/30/07 - 05:57 pm
God bless you Breeda, you are

God bless you Breeda, you are a wonderful person for this act of kindness to this poor dog. Almost 6 years ago we received a Pomeranian that was in the road on River Watch Pky. She was weak and had lost a lot of hair. After over a week at the vet she was allowed to come home with us. She has become a member of our family. She is so sweet and gives much love to all who are around her. Our vet said that she had to be a full blooded pom and we could not understand why someone let her roam free. Several pics posted in the area and a lost/found ad in the AC failed to bring out any owners. Had we not have come along this puppy would have surely faced a certain death. I am so happy that we came along because this dog has made a wonderful pet. Thank goodness she did not reach the demise that Breeda wrote about.

dixiechick007
dixiechick007 12/30/07 - 06:06 pm
God Bless you Breeda.

God Bless you Breeda.

Trick71
Trick71 12/30/07 - 10:15 pm
There needs to more people

There needs to more people like Breeda. As I read her letter, tears ran down my face as it reminded me that on Dec,13th I had to to make the same decision of my 10 year old Pomeranion. He had been sickly for quite some time but he and I fought a long battle until I realize that his quality of life was no more. As I held him closely as he drew his last breath I knew that he was no longer struggling; that he was healthy and running with my Mom and her dog, Precious. Breeda should be complimented for doing what she did for a stray dog she names Mary.

WW1949
WW1949 12/30/07 - 11:04 pm
A pet is a gift from God and

A pet is a gift from God and gives us its love all the time and as such should be treated with dignity. Breeda, you gave that pet dignity when you did not let it die in the streets. Bless you for that.

scottie2braves
scottie2braves 12/31/07 - 02:59 am
Just wanted to add my opinion

Just wanted to add my opinion on "Mary" and the kind, decent lady that tried to help her...I have had dogs all my life...most times dogs are far more loving and understanding than some humans..I'm very glad that Breeda was good enough to take the time and try to get help for this poor sick dog...God takes notes, and no good deed or act of kindness goes unnoticed..I'm sure that Mary is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, Breeda...you have her love and devotion... that's something even Death cannot diminish! God bless you, and on behalf of all us dog owners out here, I send my thanks to you...I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when I first read your letter, and I cried as I read each of these comments posted...and, yes, I'm crying as I write this letter, too...About 20 ft. away from me, is my 6-month old Rottweiller puppy...I'm so glad we had him microchipped! If anything happened to that dog, I'd be devastated...he's not just a pet, he's a beloved member of the family! But it's comforting to know that there ARE some decent caring people out there like you..Thanks again, Breeda...God Bless, and Happy New Year to you and yours..

luckie
luckie 12/31/07 - 08:54 am
Way to go Breeda. I am an

Way to go Breeda. I am an animal lover, too. I have three dogs. However, it is becoming too much for me take care of three. I have a 2 chihuahuas and a beautiful white husky. I would like to get rid of the husky but it must be to a loving and caring home. You would fall in love with her big blue eyes. Anyone interested. She has a beautiful name too.

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...