Post office 'stamps' out Christmas

Every Christmas I go through the same thing concerning postage stamps. I use a lot of gas going to different post offices looking for Christmas stamps.

Then what does the post office do? They postmark, in big letters, "Happy Holidays" over my Christmas postage stamp!

This is more than a holiday to me. This my Lord's birthday. If I wanted a Happy Holidays postage stamp, I would have bought one.

Joyce Gantt, Augusta

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 12/24/07 - 01:21 am
Why not just use more gas to

Why not just use more gas to deliver them all in person?

wavelandtransplant
wavelandtransplant 12/24/07 - 05:51 am
What an answer, aw. You

What an answer, aw. You missed the point.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/24/07 - 07:35 am
Today... I wish you a day of

Today... I wish you a day of ordinary miracles -

A nice fresh pot of coffee you didn't have to make yourself -

An unexpected phone call from a dear old friend -

Green stoplights on your way to work or shopping

I wish you a day of little things to rejoice in...

The quickest, fastest line at the grocery store -

A good sing along song on the radio -

Your keys right where you look -

I wish You a day of happiness and joy - little bite-size pieces of perfection that give you the funny feeling that the good Lord is smiling down on you, holding you ever so gently because you are someone very special and rare -

I wish You a day of Peace, Happiness and Joy,-
Merry Chirstmas

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 12/24/07 - 08:37 am
So many people misunderstand

So many people misunderstand our laws, the Constitution and the letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote because our society misses out on their education. I am sorry this happened to you and quite agree that this is more than a holiday, it is our Lord's birthday, but you live now in a place where God is getting kicked out of everything here and I just have to pray harder cause I know that a day will come when they will all answer to HIM! Please forgive them, and have a Merry Christmas even if they cannot.

jack
jack 12/24/07 - 09:54 am
The writer would do much

The writer would do much better if she would complain to her
Congressman. Have a very Merry Christmas to you all!

daddyfrog1
daddyfrog1 12/24/07 - 11:16 am
You think you've got a

You think you've got a problem with stamps ? I dropped a whole pumpkin pie in the middle of the floor last night ! I was really mad for a minute & then I remembered, " Hey, dummy ! You live in a country where all you have to do is go back to the store & get another one." God has really blessed us. He blessed us with Jesus Christ ! It's not about cards,toys,pumpkin pies,etc..It's about God's gift to us.MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL & TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT !

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 12/24/07 - 11:44 am
One alternative is to address

One alternative is to address all your Christmas letters with your printer and create a template that puts Merry Christmas or what ever in bold letters all over the envelope except for the address lines. Then they can stamp what ever they like over the stamp that must be cancelled once it is posted. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

cc1951
cc1951 12/24/07 - 12:21 pm
You can order your stamps

You can order your stamps on-line or through the mail and not use any gasoline.

mgroothand
mgroothand 12/24/07 - 01:15 pm
Even easier, you can buy

Even easier, you can buy stamps at the grocery store when you check out. Publix does it as a customer convenience, no profit to them.

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 12/24/07 - 01:36 pm
You could also send e-cards,

You could also send e-cards, and save gas, time and dollars. And all of you religious fundamentalists in Augusta need to realize that everyone is not a Christian who believes in Jesus. Ms. Gantt, you need to realize that there are several holidays falling in December, not just Christmas. There's Chanukah and Ramadan. These mean something to non-Christians, but I guess you don't know that. Have a good day!

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 12/24/07 - 02:07 pm
F.A., with all due respect,

F.A., with all due respect, you are misinformed. Ramadhan was in Sept-Oct this year, and the celebrations at the end of Ramadhan are a "movable feast", as the observance centers on the lunar calendar, which is shorter than our western "Gregorian" calendar. It happens that this year, the month of "Hajj" falls during this time, in which a major celebration commemorating Abraham's sacrifice of a ram in place of his son (Ishmael according to Muslim text). This feast, of course, also moves with the lunar calendar, and both Ramadhan and the Hajj will soon be outside of December. Please forgive the lecture-tone - it isn't personal - but informed Christians generally do show respect for other faiths' observances. How about the same measure of grace from those who are non-Christian? Allow Christians to celebrate Christmas, please. There is no reason that an enduring faith cannot rightly honor the birthday observance of Jesus without getting all of this flak for it. So, a very Merry and Christ-filled CHRISTMAS to you all! May love ever abound in an increasingly loveless world. God bless you.

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 12/24/07 - 02:22 pm
daddyfrog you said it best.

daddyfrog you said it best. wavelandtransplant I got the point and I believe in saying Merry Christmas, too. But Happy Holidays is a great salutation as well. Joyce should be happy and merry at Christmas because that's what Jesus would want her to be. To all of you who have brightened my Christmas Eve: I hope your Christmas holiday is the best you've ever had. I am sure mine will be. And have a Happy New Year, too.

dont live there anymore
dont live there anymore 12/24/07 - 03:35 pm
My goodness, what a problem!

My goodness, what a problem! It is the contents of the envelope that is important. I, too, like Merry Christmas. But as another person commented the USPS serves all people in the United States and not all are Christians. It think it is nice to wish everyone Happy Holidays. It seems like a Christian thing to do when greeting others that may not share out beliefs. If your belief is strong, this small matter won't change it. What a waste energy just to get more Christmas stamps. Any 41-cent stamp will send your greeting. Please don't let this spoil your Christmas and New Year holidays. Best wishes to all during this wonderful Season.

mgdove
mgdove 12/31/07 - 12:04 am
Well, if it makes you feel

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Holiday is derived from "Holy Days"

There are twelve days in Christmas. That song "The twelve days of Christmas" is a code that early Christians used (to avoid persecution)to described the birth, the feast day of St. Stephen, The Epiphany, when the three kings are remembered and so on. This is why Christmas is a season and is made up of HOLY DAYS or "Holidays" So feel great about when that get stamped on your envelope.

The word Christmas comes from the original early days of celebrating "Christ's Mass", so don't sweat it. You are still golden!

If other people want to celebrate other things on Christ's birthday, that's their thing. I'm sure they will be ok when their birthday comes along and we celebrate our own instead.
But Dec 25 is what the early church has established for HIS birthday because the pagans originally used this day to worship their "sun god" because the winter solstice is when the sun (their god) is closest to the earth. But the early church changed this and made it a Christian day of Christ's birth celebration instead because HE is truly the brightest Son. So Merry Christmas and Happy Holydays!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/07 - 09:37 am
One obvious solution would be

One obvious solution would be for Congress to eliminate the monopoly the postal service enjoys on first class mail delivery. Then private enterprise could deliver your Christmas cards with any kind of postmark the market demanded. There's no justification for the government to have the monopoly on first class in the 21st century.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen