Fighting injures principal

A Richmond County principal was sent to the hospital Wednesday after suffering injuries when she tried to break up a fight that led to an early release of school, Superintendent Dana Bedden said.

Cross Creek High School Principal Lynn Warr was "slammed" into a wall and injured her back, knee and arm, Dr. Bedden said. She was treated at the emergency room of Trinity Hospital of Augusta and released.

Two male students were fighting, and one pulled out brass knuckles, Dr. Bedden said. When he did, the other stepped back, accidentally pushing Ms. Warr against the wall.

"The one thing is clear, no one intentionally tried to attack her," the superintendent said after speaking with students and parents.

Ms. Warr and other school personnel were trying to stop the students from fighting, Dr. Bedden said.

The sheriff's office was called, and one student was charged with a felony for bringing a weapon to school. The other was charged with fighting and disrupting school, he said. Both were released to their parents, and both were suspended pending a disciplinary tribunal.

Because students were "riled up" and the "adrenaline," Dr. Bedden decided to let school out early, he said.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/20/07 - 08:43 pm
I just don't understand why

I just don't understand why they allow kids like these back in school at all. There are so many in Richmond County schools that have no desire to be there, no intention of doing any of the work, or any interest in anything that doesn't include sex or getting over on somebody else. Why can't these kids be put into an apprentice program and taught a marketable skill? We're wasting their time as well as our own, and tons of money as well.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 12/20/07 - 08:45 pm
Article said she was pushed,

Article said she was pushed, I read another site said she was hit with the knuckles. Thugs to jail, Bedden out of here. Bet he received his degree from Fort Valley State!

KSL
KSL 12/20/07 - 08:45 pm
When and where I went to high

When and where I went to high school you could not chew gum, you could not smoke and you could not touch a person of the opposite sex. Serious consequences would ensue. Also, you couldn't be pregnant. We got an excellent education, were quite well behaved and in four years of high school no policeman ever had to be called. A handful of people were suspended or expelled for the above behaviors. Paddling was allowed. Don't remember anyone being paddled past junior high. Most parents re-inflicted the punishment when the student got home. People learned a lot because the environment for learning was right. And the Federal government was not so involved. Have a clue. How do we go back to that?

KSL
KSL 12/20/07 - 08:56 pm
dadwhite, that's a

dadwhite, that's a generalization without merit. I had my children fairly young yet after college. My grandchildren are preschoolers now . Exactly what aged parent are your referring to?

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 12/20/07 - 09:00 pm
katiesue, that's where I came

katiesue, that's where I came from. What the heck is campus police???

KSL
KSL 12/20/07 - 09:25 pm
blackjack, I don't know.

blackjack, I don't know.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/20/07 - 09:33 pm
The sheriff's office was

The sheriff's office was called, and one student was charged with a felony for bringing a weapon to school. The other was charged with fighting and disrupting school, and both were suspended pending a disciplinary tribunal.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/20/07 - 09:34 pm
Both were suspended pending a

Both were suspended pending a disciplinary tribunal. One student was charged with a felony for bringing a weapon to school.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/20/07 - 09:36 pm
tribunal= school court.

tribunal= school court. felony = Richmond court.

KSL
KSL 12/20/07 - 09:40 pm
I'm beginning to think that

I'm beginning to think that turning these kids over to the justice system is a mistake. It's way too lenient. They need real punishment. No tolerance. No first time offender. Suffer the consequences.

KSL
KSL 12/20/07 - 09:41 pm
The kids that do this stuff

The kids that do this stuff need to suffer. The others need to see that.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 12/20/07 - 09:45 pm
No discipline at home nor a

No discipline at home nor a school = this. Your govn't in action, or should it be, inaction!!!

jack
jack 12/20/07 - 10:35 pm
Let these hoodlums/thugs

Let these hoodlums/thugs spend some time in jail. I got my butt whipped by the principal with a paddle made in the wood shop. Got my attention. Too bad it is against the law now. No more school in Cross Creek, but in alternative school or none at all. Also, hold the parents responsible and let the teacher sue them for the misconduct of their kids causing her injury.

workingmom
workingmom 12/20/07 - 11:20 pm
I agree with holding the

I agree with holding the parents partially responsible for the actions of their children if they are under the age of 18. School represents the child's social environment the same way the working world is part of an adult's environment. For students, school IS their life. If they are allowed to behave this way and not have any serious consequences, then they will never learn to cope with difficult situations in real life. We must somehow make sure these students who commit serious infractions are held accountable for their actions! If I were the teacher, I would be filing charges.

eugene23
eugene23 12/21/07 - 02:16 am
I think the student that

I think the student that brought the brass knuckles to school should to jail of having a weapon on school grounds. The other student should bypass he suspention because he didnt no he was going to get hit wit brass knucles and he was defending himself... What would you do if your child was hit with some brass knuckles??

Pursefreak
Pursefreak 12/21/07 - 03:43 am
You people need to leave

You people need to leave South Augusta alone. I have yet to hear of a zip code (30906) make anyone fight or bring brass knuckles to school. It's called accountability, no matter what part of town you live in.

Concerned2007
Concerned2007 12/21/07 - 05:03 am
AugustaMom: The child that

AugustaMom: The child that was arrested for shooting at police deputies in Aiken was attending HEPHZIBAH HIGH SCHOOL not Cross Creek. Please go back and read the article, "Three Arressted In Deputy Shooting" before you make any more mistakes. And to all of those that disagree with the students being let out early, I am guessing that the students were let out because it was already the last day of school for the holidays. Maybe the superintendent thought that the day would only get worse. I hate that the principle was injured, but after being in the school system for awhile you would think that you wouldn't try to break up a fight with a bunch of knuckleheads. It always turns out that the person trying to break up the fight is the one with all of the injuries. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!

Concerned2007
Concerned2007 12/21/07 - 05:25 am
By the way, for all of you

By the way, for all of you who said that the parents need to be held accountable for their children, let me share a short story with you. My 18 year old niece was murdered in June of this year by her boyfriend. She had just graduated from high school 3 weeks and some days prior. The young man that shot her comes from a good home. His mother goes to church every Sunday and had made sure that her household was introduced to living their lives that way. Now, me personally, I don't hold her responsible for what her son did to my niece, I hold him responsible. He is locked up at this time, as well as he should be. What ever punishment he gets he deserves, but I always have to remember that this young man is still her child and her heart is always going to be torn because her son took someone elses life. My heart goes out to her because she did all that she could for him, but he chose to live his 18 year old life the way he wanted too. So, what do you have to say about that???

mystery30815
mystery30815 12/21/07 - 08:52 am
The young man who was

The young man who was arrested for the shooting in Aiken enrolled at HHS the day after the shooting. His address of record was in Jackson. Not everyone in Hephzibah is bad or a gang member. There are a lot of great students out there that want to succeed.

ConsiderThis
ConsiderThis 12/21/07 - 09:20 am
FYI - the school system does

FYI - the school system does not decide if the student is held in jail. They file charges and call the sheriff to transport for arrest, another office in the justice system decides.

CHATTYCAT
CHATTYCAT 12/21/07 - 09:23 am
it's not that south augusta

it's not that south augusta is a dump,it's these spoiled [filtered word] teens that have no morals or sense-why don't they just stay at home if they want to be hoodlums!!!!!!!i'm frigging tired of paying taxes for everything and everybody elses problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CEOLlimelight
CEOLlimelight 12/21/07 - 09:55 am
Richmond County = may have a

Richmond County = may have a problem with discipline with students

Columbia County = Teachers with no morals cheaters and still in the system

To late to change an adult's way of life

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/21/07 - 09:55 am
These kids are no different

These kids are no different than any generation. They just lack focus and discipline. Corporal punishment and a strong intimidating character works wonders on rebellion.

WAG
WAG 12/21/07 - 10:47 am
She must have been pushed

She must have been pushed really hard to need to go to the hospital.....

WAG
WAG 12/21/07 - 10:49 am
If she has any sense she will

If she has any sense she will go out on workmens comp and not go back to this war zone.....Most kids in school today are spoiled brats.

WAG
WAG 12/21/07 - 10:53 am
If this woman has any sense

If this woman has any sense she will go out on workmens comp and not go back to this war zone. Kids are spoiled brats.

college kid
college kid 12/21/07 - 11:11 am
wow, those "thugs" should be

wow, those "thugs" should be kicked out of school. For good! :)

dani
dani 12/21/07 - 11:15 am
Where is the ACLU? How dare

Where is the ACLU? How dare the BOE kick these poor children out of school. They are entitled to an education, it is their right!! Parents..tell the children how brave they were to actually tackle an authority figure. You show 'em who's the boss-man now-a days. That times they are a-changin. The brass teeth, tattoos and long pants , ALL THIS BLING IS NOT there for just show, ya know.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/21/07 - 12:34 pm
As I said, I take the flack

As I said, I take the flack dealt by my statement that high schools should have male principals. Someone suggested that she wait until a security guard showed up - by then one of the students could have been dead. Someone else missed the point that the principal is the HEAD of the school and is thus ultimately responsible for the students. That poster then went on to say how important that a male head of household is in a child's life - my point exactly plus a male is better equipped to handle a fracas such as this one. Again, it has become controversial to mention physical restraint but that was the only thing that seemed to work here and a man is better able to take on young men than a woman. But all that aside, those involved in the fight are old enough to know right from wrong and their choice to engage in hooliganism should allow the school the right to dismiss them. Rewarding the rest of the student body by giving them the rest of the day off however seems a bit counter productive. Will they be made to make up that lost time at the end of the year?

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/21/07 - 12:45 pm
Let me give an example of

Let me give an example of male vs female authority in school. A number of years ago when a brand new junior high school opened its doors in Richmond County, I was a part of the first class of students to attend there. I had gone to school with the same people for my first six years of school at a school in the county but found myself in a school with students from the "Hill" section who were a bit more "privileged" in some ways than I but it wasn't altogether a bad situation. We had one teacher half a day, then swapped with a class who took our spot while we went to their teacher the other half of the day, both teachers being female. Within minutes of our changing classes our teacher from the first half of the day would be in the hallway crying because of misbehaving students. The principal then had to go and deal with the situation - after a few weeks she quit and a male Baptist minister took her place. From that day forward the problems disappeared because he handled them promptly and immediately, sometimes by pulling one particular student by the ear and either removing him from class or putting him into a corner. He never let his students control the classroom.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...