Fighting injures principal

A Richmond County principal was sent to the hospital Wednesday after suffering injuries when she tried to break up a fight that led to an early release of school, Superintendent Dana Bedden said.

Cross Creek High School Principal Lynn Warr was "slammed" into a wall and injured her back, knee and arm, Dr. Bedden said. She was treated at the emergency room of Trinity Hospital of Augusta and released.

Two male students were fighting, and one pulled out brass knuckles, Dr. Bedden said. When he did, the other stepped back, accidentally pushing Ms. Warr against the wall.

"The one thing is clear, no one intentionally tried to attack her," the superintendent said after speaking with students and parents.

Ms. Warr and other school personnel were trying to stop the students from fighting, Dr. Bedden said.

The sheriff's office was called, and one student was charged with a felony for bringing a weapon to school. The other was charged with fighting and disrupting school, he said. Both were released to their parents, and both were suspended pending a disciplinary tribunal.

Because students were "riled up" and the "adrenaline," Dr. Bedden decided to let school out early, he said.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

MJDW
MJDW 12/20/07 - 08:58 am
It's time that these kids pay

It's time that these kids pay a fine for disrupting the school system, and put them out of public school for good. Let the parents pay for the education these kids think they don't need.

thugskin
thugskin 12/20/07 - 09:02 am
South Augusta is really

South Augusta is really becoming a dump.

Reality
Reality 12/20/07 - 09:14 am
It is a good thing they were

It is a good thing they were turned over to their parents, that already don't have any control over them....

donrut
donrut 12/20/07 - 09:20 am
By letting all the kids go

By letting all the kids go home early and shutting a school down...you just sent the other handful of hoodlums that think there " tough gangsters" something to attempt again...I agree with the felony charge and I agree with MJDW..`hold these High school kids accountable now..not after they get out or drop out of high school...Parents are responsible to a point for behavior,but remember our family court system...they will lock up a parent that trys firm discipline at home.you will see this again and again...

SunDown
SunDown 12/20/07 - 09:21 am
Even if they didn't "try" to

Even if they didn't "try" to attack her, she was still injured while at least one of them was comitting a felony. I would charge him for that too. The brass knuckles kid would go away for years if it were up to me.

420Time
420Time 12/20/07 - 09:26 am
In Singapore Caning works.

In Singapore Caning works.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 12/20/07 - 09:27 am
Crass Creek? What a school!

Crass Creek? What a school!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 12/20/07 - 09:33 am
Not only were the brass

Not only were the brass knuckles a weapon on school grounds, but ILLEGAL anywhere. How old was he and where did he get them?

AsItIs
AsItIs 12/20/07 - 09:41 am
Where is Barrios when you

Where is Barrios when you need him? HA!

426Hemi
426Hemi 12/20/07 - 09:41 am
Go to any flea market and

Go to any flea market and you'll find them. They are not illegal to sell, or own. Even Ft. Gordon has vendors selling brass knucks inside the Post Exchange (PX), as well as automatic (switchblade) knives. Perfectly legal, as long as they are not carried on your person and concealed. There are certain exceptions for auto knives being carried, but laws vary from state to state. Post Office has restrictions on shipping these items as well.

Tall1
Tall1 12/20/07 - 09:52 am
They DO NOT lock up parents

They DO NOT lock up parents for disciplining their own children. They lock up people who bruise, maim, and batter children. Even if a parent doesn't want to use physical discipline, there are many other way to do it without force. Today's parents by and large make no attempt, they'd rather use that myth as an excuse. My daughter tried that crap one time and I responded "make sure when you call to report me for abuse, you tell them about this too" as I grounded her for yet another week. My parents bruised my butt and I deserved it and I loved them for loving me enough to care. My kids were spanked when necessary and my grandkids tell me they're spanked too.

Rupret in the middle east
Rupret in the middle east 12/20/07 - 10:06 am
Why did they end school? Now

Why did they end school? Now the kids think if I get into a fight we turn out the school not a class but the hold school. I am 52, back in my days, you got your but whip, or they took you to the gym and made you fight in front of everybody. I went to an all black school in sc, JHS. It happen to me one day and when I got home my parents got a part of me also and it never happen again. I have a feeling it is the school fault for not discipline the kids or its the school fault. I could be wrong.

truthbknown
truthbknown 12/20/07 - 10:08 am
To all you Cross Creek /

To all you Cross Creek / South Augusta haters.... this is a good school and just because some kid gets into a fight doesnt mean its bad or South Augusta is a dump. I guess you live in glass houses and your perfect. EVERY single school has this kind of stuff going on everyday in Columbia and Richmond County.I have seen some great kids come out of Cross Creek and just because you have a few who don't have home training should not reflect on the whole school. As far as the comment about South Augusta being a dump, not all of it is. I happen to live in a very nice neighborhood. The belief that this side of town is all bad, let me take you to area's in Columbia /North Augusta that are just a bad. My Mother taught me not to judge people until you walk in their shoes, So don't judge people you don't know. There are many fine people who live and work in South Augusta..So judge yourself before you judge others and where they live!!!

truthbknown
truthbknown 12/20/07 - 10:17 am
As far as the article goes, I

As far as the article goes, I think these kids need a good butt whipping, oh wait thats against the law!! My parents didn't hesitate to whip my behind when I acted up, they didn't beat me.
I didn't grow up to be some crazy, cracked out person with problems, blaming the world for my issues. We should go back to being able to discipline our children and making them accountable for their actions!!!

truthbknown
truthbknown 12/20/07 - 10:21 am
merry christmas everybody!!!

merry christmas everybody!!!

Dan White 12/20/07 - 10:25 am
Yea truth, I got my butt

Yea truth, I got my butt whipped too for the last time in 8th grade by the principal and then by dad. Cured me of misbehaving in school, but today you can't touch them. What they should do is fine the parents when a kid goes to ISS or OSS and not let the kids back in school until the fine is paid. My bet is that these thugs had been in and out of trouble for years, but were still allowed to attend school. They should have been banned years ago. Good kids just don't up and do something like this. It is a breakdown in character that culminates with the principal getting hurt. And, don't you just love the way Bedden and the administration covers up for the kids. "Oh, they didn't mean to hurt the principal. It was an accident." Hogwash! When kids fight at school, it creates an enviornment for more fights to break out as one side takes sides with the other. They did right closing the school down. They need to be on lockdown today with extra security.

VIPnewsworthy
VIPnewsworthy 12/20/07 - 10:27 am
OK Now I disagree with him

OK Now I disagree with him letting the students out of school early because when I was in high school Dr. Larke NEVER let us out early for a fight!! COME ON DR.BEDDEN! What type of example is he setting or what type of point is he proving? ANyway I live in South Augusta......excuse me Hephzibah....and it is a nice place to live. Regardless of the area of the city, kids in this generation are just out of hand compared to when I was their age. I graduated in 2003 and I can't imagine how bad children have come to be over the years. As for the kids being charged with disrupting the school.......yeah they started doing that in the 2002-2003 school year so it is being done and they are being sent to ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL.

Dan White 12/20/07 - 10:29 am
Ten percent of the kids cause

Ten percent of the kids cause 90 per cent of the trouble. Why do we allow them to continue in school? It destroys the education enviornment for the youth who really do want to learn and better themselves. And God help the teachers. There was another principal in Richmond a few weeks ago that didn't make the paper. A fifth grader kicked her in the knee and put her out of work for a few days. We don't know half what goes in our schools because both Columbia and Richmond sweep these things under the rug.

Rose
Rose 12/20/07 - 10:33 am
why were they released to

why were they released to their parents? they should have gone to jail. What happened? Do their parents have money?

Tall1
Tall1 12/20/07 - 10:37 am
If you continue to allow the

If you continue to allow the "10%" of kids who are "bad" to associate and influence the "90%" of kids who are "good" you will teach the majority that there are no repercussions for being "bad". Alternative school is a joke. Suspensions and expulsions will teach the "bad" kids the shame of being one or two years behind their same-aged peers. Y'all remember shame, don't you?

cparker
cparker 12/20/07 - 10:43 am
Cross Creek is a good school

Cross Creek is a good school and they are getting a bad rap because of the conduct of two children fighting. We expect certain people to talk bad about South Augusta. Wasn't there some talk on the WEST side of the railroad track about kids stealing and having drugs in the schools? I heard they have have a new curriculum titled "How to teach kids to cheat in Football". If my memory serves me right, I think RC schools have one the country's top 100 schools and Columbia county has none? Why does certain people give immorality a name, gender, race, and now an address? Lets be fair when we decide to judge others because there is greatest in all kids if we help them to find it.

toppergem
toppergem 12/20/07 - 10:43 am
Thanks for your comments,

Thanks for your comments, Truthbknown. Sure South Augusta has changed but what community hasn't over time.Tthe areais having its problems right now...but it is full of some really great people and schools. Don't believe the hype people...unless you have lived there or really know people from South Augusta, you are only repeating the junk you have read, heard or seen in the media and from unknowing individuals. Hey, I love South Augusta...been living in it for over 35 years.

cparker
cparker 12/20/07 - 10:47 am
Rose, the schools have sent

Rose, the schools have sent these kids to tribunal and they have charges the one child with a felony. This means although they were released to their parents, the one child is charged with a crime as well.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 12/20/07 - 11:00 am
If I'm understanding this

If I'm understanding this correctly, one of the boys involved in this school fight yesterday was also somehow involved in shooting at the deputy in SC the day before. Here's my question: Why did these parents who had their child released to them not know where their child was when shots were fired at the law enforcement officer the day before?This appears to already be a hardened criminal at this early age. This boy should not be allowed to ever again attend a RC School...for the safety of the other students.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 12/20/07 - 11:02 am
Let them out of school,

Let them out of school, WHAT!!!! where was he when I was in school? if a fight broke out (which probably happen when I was in school from the 9th to 12th 2 times (that's for a truth). We didn't fight each other back then, hmmmmm. Glad she's ok.

mystery30815
mystery30815 12/20/07 - 11:07 am
hmm my comment this morning

hmm my comment this morning got deleted. Rumor has it that the principal was actually hit in the face with the brass knuckles. Part of the problem with RCBOE is they try to hide what really goes on in the schools. Parents need to know and have a right to know what kind of environment they are sending their children to.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/20/07 - 11:15 am
First things first and I'll

First things first and I'll take whatever flack someone cares to dish out for my opinion: high schools should not have women principals and this example is a classic reason why that shouldn't be. I'm not excusing the males here in any way BUT in a school full of testosterone filled young men, a man needs to be at the head. All students should respect that authority which goes with being principal but we all know that isn't always the case. Women shouldn't have to be breaking up fights in high school but it happens.
Now I noticed that at least one poster needs to go over to Cross Creek and ask the English teacher to "learn" him or her some spelling and proper use of the tense of verbs.
I can understand the logic in one sense, but the WHOLE school should have been told that there had been a fight, that the pugilists had been removed and that classes would continue as usual, with anyone else causing problems facing the same consequences. Let them know that justice is swift and sure at that school. I believe that a male principal would have continued the day. I know that MY principals would never have allowed a couple of hooligans to ruin the day for everyone else.

mystery30815
mystery30815 12/20/07 - 11:20 am
So Coastal, there shouldn't

So Coastal, there shouldn't be female teachers either? They have to break up fights also. Ideally, students would have home training and know that you don't fight to solve your problems. This is not about having a male or female principal, this is about kids acting a fool.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 12/20/07 - 11:21 am
Oh, and while you're learning

Oh, and while you're learning how to use the proper tense and proper spelling please get a refresher course in the use of possessives.

mystery30815
mystery30815 12/20/07 - 11:27 am
Also, it was a male, Dr.

Also, it was a male, Dr. Bedden, who made the decision to close the school early, not the principal. Perhaps, if these young men had a male at the head of their household they would know how to act.