Debutantes need more diversity

Did anyone notice something wrong with the recently published picture of the Augusta Symphony Cotillion debutantes? Why are there no blacks, Asians, Hispanics or other ethnic groups pictured?

Surely, wealthy white people are not the only ones who like the symphony. There are a lot of doctors, attorneys, business owners and military of ethnic groups, whose daughters would meet the same qualifications as the white debutantes.

In this new century, we should be working to accept all races and be integrated in all aspects of life. As an Irish/German-American, I hope next year the Augusta Symphony will have a representation of all of Augusta's races in its cotillion picture.

B.L. Calloway, Augusta

Ga Values
Ga Values 12/20/07 - 07:45 am
If it aint broke why fix it..

If it aint broke why fix it..

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/20/07 - 08:09 am
B.L.Calloway, there are quite

B.L.Calloway, there are quite a few events in Augusta that exclude people of various races, and there are more than enough events held by the Black community that exclude anyone of the caucasion race. You would do well to research this one a bit further.

Dedicated
Dedicated 12/20/07 - 08:11 am
This is an all volunteer

This is an all volunteer thing! No one is being excluded, there is no draft, and no one is going door to door looking for the right people to be a member. It does take just a little bit of class that eliminates a large portion of our community, including all races.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/20/07 - 08:13 am
I'll bet if the records were

I'll bet if the records were examined, they would show that wealthy, white Augustans were the ONLY people who support the symphony financially. The Cotillion is an old tradition of the old money of Augusta having their daughters' "coming out".

Beach Brat
Beach Brat 12/20/07 - 08:13 am
Well said Cold Beer.

Well said Cold Beer.

wise ole man
wise ole man 12/20/07 - 08:29 am
What difference does it make

What difference does it make that all of these young ladies are white? In the spring there is a "black" Cotillion that does not have representatives from varoius ethinc groups and no says anything about that. Most of the young ladies represented here are of families that are supporters of the Arts and other charitable organizations of our area. Congratulations to each girl and their family and to the rest of the complainers- get over it orr have your own "coming out" party.

lulu
lulu 12/20/07 - 08:40 am
Irish/German American? You

Irish/German American? You ain't from around here are you.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/20/07 - 08:43 am
I've heard it all, is he

I've heard it all, is he proposing affirmative action for this affair? I'll help bus wealthy hispanic, black, and asian girls in so all will be well in the world.

dani
dani 12/20/07 - 08:48 am
Could we just ignore this

Could we just ignore this writer. This is too ridiculous to take seriously. People go a long way -even from Germany (?) evidently-to look for something they can criticize. I wonder if the writer is a relative of the great Cab Calloway. You think?

christian134
christian134 12/20/07 - 08:49 am
Oh please the whinning of

Oh please the whinning of some folks. Calloway find something worthwhile to speak.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/20/07 - 08:51 am
I disagree. I think we can

I disagree. I think we can examine this LTE and make a good psychological diagnosis. After all I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last nite. Ho,ho,ho Merry Christmas!

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 12/20/07 - 08:59 am
B.L.--I don't this this event

B.L.--I don't this this event is racist--but I do think it is somewhat old-fashioned. The event has two goals--raising money for the symphony and flaunting your wealth. Actually, it has another goal but this is a family-friendly forum....

dani
dani 12/20/07 - 08:59 am
And I see you had a good

And I see you had a good night's rest Bizarro..Merry Christmas to you and yours...
Would you please let Mr Calloway use your room tonight? He evidently is not sleeping well.

fd1962
fd1962 12/20/07 - 09:11 am
That's interesting. I didn't

That's interesting. I didn't know this was a family-friendly forum.

pofwe
pofwe 12/20/07 - 09:13 am
Calloway! Kiss-my-foot &

Calloway! Kiss-my-foot & elbow too.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 12/20/07 - 09:25 am
there is a black group of

there is a black group of debutantes in Augusta - look up Rosa T. Beard.

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 12/20/07 - 09:28 am
fd1962--ok, maybe this isn't

fd1962--ok, maybe this isn't a family-friendly forum. Still, some topics are sensitive and I have had posts removed in the past.

givitup
givitup 12/20/07 - 09:38 am
Debutauntes! Coming out? That

Debutauntes! Coming out?
That entire society of children now days being "introduced into society" is so funny.
Most of them have came out long time ago.
It is a crazy tradition "black or white".
I was a former debutante(not by choice). I know that the money could have served me better in college.

quickzoticpants
quickzoticpants 12/20/07 - 09:55 am
thank you givitup. that's the

thank you givitup. that's the real issue!

shivas
shivas 12/20/07 - 10:01 am
I took a debutante out on a

I took a debutante out on a date in high-school. When she found out I lived in Harrisburg, she dumped me like a Bush cabinet member. It's all rich folk fun, and I'm sure other races probably laugh at the silliness of it all.

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 12/20/07 - 10:06 am
shivas, was she HOT? Did she

shivas, was she HOT? Did she end up intermarrying within the same circle of folks on the hill?

dani
dani 12/20/07 - 10:06 am
givit..You were a debutante

givit..You were a debutante which means big money and you needed money for college..hmmmm

mojo
mojo 12/20/07 - 10:12 am
B. Calloway - what have you

B. Calloway - what have you contributed to the symphony? Just what we need - another critic - sorry this is one that's not up for AA - it's private - and the ladies who propose young ladies for participation are very inclusive and will be insulted and hurt by this LTE - did you think maybe this year no one asked? Thanks for recognizing the ladies' efforts to provide our community with a symphony.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 12/20/07 - 10:19 am
shivas you should of known

shivas you should of known the skank would bail after you took her to the what a burger on a date, but please tell us more about it.i'm white but i don't really care for the symphony either but i can't recall ever hearing a minority playing symphony music when they pulled up beside me in their car.i believe in integration but maybe somethings are best left separate, nothing morr, nothing less.

sjsd17
sjsd17 12/20/07 - 10:27 am
This is one LTE that

This is one LTE that should've never been printed.....it's just another way to keep stirring the pot.

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 12/20/07 - 10:30 am
This LTE should have

This LTE should have highlighted the positives such as ample bosoms, adequate birthing hips and sufficient trust funds.

condelieeza
condelieeza 12/20/07 - 10:34 am
as a transsexual black

as a transsexual black femaie, i wanna be a debutante. i could show those white girls a thing or two. ive got 35 bucks in my pocket, will that buy me an invitation to be a debuatante? i can see it now, miss condelieeza, daughter of loquesha and ladominitrix jackson, came out to the augusta community on saturday evening during a candlelit event at the augusta country club. oh , wouldnt my ex basketball buddies be just green with envy....... merry christmas.

intheknow
intheknow 12/20/07 - 10:38 am
Since you claim to be a

Since you claim to be a Transexual, you know what you can do with yourself.

Tall1
Tall1 12/20/07 - 10:56 am
ITK, now THAT'S funny. Merry

ITK, now THAT'S funny. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

rufus