Think that drag strip idea through

This is in response to Daniel Caraway's letter concerning the need for a drag strip in Augusta ("Why don't we have a drag strip?" Dec. 9).

I have lived in Augusta since the early 1970s, and this area would not support a good drag strip with the attendance and financial support needed to operate. This area is mainly concerned with golf and horse-related events. It would get little if any coverage from any local media. I say this because we have a large National Hot Rod Association track, at Commerce, Ga., with many national events held there throughout the year, and there is no coverage of any of these events.

Another major concern in the operation of a drag strip is a sanctioning body. There are only two of these -- the NHRA and the International Hot Rod Association. The track at nearby Jackson, S.C., is an IHRA track, and I don't think the IHRA would be willing to sanction another track this close; it would be taking money from one of their established tracks.

I don't think this area can generate enough spectators or competitors to get NHRA sanctioning. The land could be obtained and a track built, but it would have to be a private or outlaw strip without national sanctioning.

I have given up on Augusta media recognizing how big the sport of NHRA drag racing has become, and how fiercely competitive it is. NASCAR gets massive coverage, but as far as real competition, NHRA racing makes NASCAR racing plain boring. I was a NASCAR fan, but now I attend all the NHRA events I can. I will never go to another NASCAR event.

Reese Lewallen, Martinez

dani
dani 12/15/07 - 09:33 am
Does anyone really care about

Does anyone really care about a drag strip. What a drag...

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/15/07 - 09:51 am
Augusta already has a popular

Augusta already has a popular and well-supported drag strip. It's called Bobby Jones Expressway. That is the ONLY drag strip this area needs!

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 12/15/07 - 10:07 am

Thank you, Reese Lewallen, I also see your points and agree some what. I am thinking big time like Commerce. Carolina can still do its small time thing on Thursday night and with the help and support from the citizens and Media it could work in Augusta on a different night.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/15/07 - 10:19 am
The question is does anyone

The question is does anyone care about ddawn. Reese Lewallen has some good points. It will take a lot of support from the public and backing from the media but it could work. I bet it would do better than the James Brown arena.

dani
dani 12/15/07 - 10:26 am
crazy...This was meant as a

crazy...This was meant as a joke. No one had commented and I thought it was odd. I don't like noise, so I wouldn't go to a drag race, but to those who like it, great!

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/15/07 - 12:05 pm
Alls good d d ddawn, but

Alls good d d ddawn, but look at howcanweknow, If you thingk BJ is fast you should try I-20 or any Interstate, Especially in Atlantaor another large city. In case you didn't know BJ is now I-520.

toenail
toenail 12/15/07 - 12:29 pm
Augusta had a drag strip, and

Augusta had a drag strip, and an oval track, and a 3-mile
track..........They FAILED.........They went broke.....

jack
jack 12/15/07 - 12:38 pm
Ask those wanting a drag or

Ask those wanting a drag or racing strip how close to their home are they willing to have one built.

jungletobacco
jungletobacco 12/15/07 - 04:06 pm
Live in south augusta and I

Live in south augusta and I would mind it in south augusta. Atlanat has amillion other things going on thats why the dragracing doesnt get media play. Augusta has nothing going on but the Master and most of the population dont benefit from it anyway.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/15/07 - 10:39 pm
Yes , toenail you are right.

Yes , toenail you are right. I use to go there every Friday night with my Grand daddy. He'd back his truck up at turns 1 & 2 and we'd eat boiled peanuts and watch the race. Richard Petty(The King), David Person and a bunch of the old timers raced out there back when Stock Car Racing was really exciting. There was also two other tracks at the same location at the same time. A road course and dirt track and they went belly up because the owner tried to do to much at one time.

toenail
toenail 12/15/07 - 11:36 pm
The old tracks went belly-up

The old tracks went belly-up because racing became
more popular and the good drivers wouldn't come
to small towns like Augusta........And they still won't
don't matter how much money Augusta wastes trying
to build them..........The Government has no business
in private enterprise anyway

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/16/07 - 12:13 am
I've been to Commerce and The

I've been to Commerce and The NHRA Drag Strip is hardly a major tourist draw..most of the people that go to Commerce.. do so for the outlet malls, not the drag strip. The nearby Jackson, SC dragstrip isn't exactly a top destination either. Drag strips tend to draw spectators of the redneck, white trash calibre... not exacly the kind of demographic to go after if you are trying to create an economic rennaissance in Augusta.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/16/07 - 02:23 am
"tourist " who said anything

"tourist " who said anything about tourist? you need to keep your A__ hole up on that ant hill and shut up and leave us rednecks alone and toenail biter you need to ride over to Darlington S.C. and mybe rethink your last post. The city of Darlington like to frecked out when Nascar started to drop them from the line up. Heck a bunch of shops and stores closed because they took one race from them. Augusta is bigger than Darlington and several other places that races are held.

Thefuturist
Thefuturist 12/16/07 - 07:58 am
my city, augusta, has a

my city, augusta, has a certain stigma attached to it. the locals seem to prefer to entertain elsewhere, columbia, savannah, charlotte and atlanta. im not sure what could be done to improve the situation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/07 - 12:09 pm
There are 11 dragstrips in

There are 11 dragstrips in Georgia. All run by private individuals. Look at the small towns they are in and see if you think they are a big deal. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/8576/ga-raceways-4.html

Outlet mall plans canceled

Ben Carter Enterprises has decided not to pursue a fashion outlet mall at the Village at Riverwatch development.