For the second time in less than a month, Busch turned a short-track appearance into chaos after his Late Model car was disqualified from last Saturday's Snowball Derby at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Fla.
Busch, who owns and operates a race team away from his full-time job with Joe Gibbs Racing, was disqualified because his car failed inspection after a heat race. Track officials said his car wasn't the right height, and they disqualified Busch and his driver, Jason Hogan .
Steven Wallace also was sent home after his car was too light after winning a qualifying race.
"I just want to make it clear that although our car supposedly missed one of the inspection criteria in Pensacola, it was in no way done in an attempt to get around the rules," the son of former NASCAR champion Rusty Wallace said.
"We got disqualified because they claimed that we missed one of the inspection criteria by a razor thin margin; a margin small enough that it could have been due to almost anything."
Both Busch and Wallace apparently argued with the track's technical inspector, Ricky Brooks .
In all, 16 cars were disqualified.
In November, Busch left the short track at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after another dispute. He was hit from behind during a Late Model feature, and track officials said he was required to give up his spot in the top five and fall to the rear of the field because he was involved in the crash. Busch argued he was a victim in the accident, not the instigator.
Busch parked his race car after refusing to fall to last place.
THE HIGHS OF LOWE'S: Track owner Bruton Smith started collecting the bounty of his victory over the City of Concord this week when the city urged the North Carolina Department of Transportation to re-name the highway connecting Interstate 85 and Lowe's Motor Speedway Bruton Smith Boulevard.
Smith threatened to move his racetrack when the city stopped construction of a drag strip last October.
Since then, city and state officials have worked feverishly to make Smith happy.
Not only was a highway named after him, but he will get about $80 million to renovate the track and the surrounding areas.
Local bonds and a possible increase in local sales tax might help fund the incentive package.
Since receiving the benefits, Smith has vowed to keep the speedway in Concord.