Vet shows different view of bonuses

According to my Army Retirement Services newsletter, the following is the truth about billing injured troops.

I quote: "Soldiers who become ill or are wounded while on active duty are entitled to keep all recruitment bonuses due them." It further states: "If you are ill or injured while on active duty, the Army will not ask for any portion of your recruitment bonus," said Brig. Gen. Mike Tucker, assistant surgeon general for warrior care and transition. "This money stays in the hands of the soldiers."

Maybe Lowell Greenbaum ("Billing injured troops is shameful," Dec. 6) did not get his copy of the retirement papers.

Gordon Bostrom, Augusta

(The writer is a retired U.S. Army veteran.)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/13/07 - 09:21 am
Easy to understand.

Easy to understand.

Queen4842
Queen4842 12/13/07 - 09:34 am
Well then how would you both

Well then how would you both explain that there are soldiers back from both fronts injured and being requested to return their sign on? Did Lowell just make this up out of the top of his hat? PT you seem to know everything care to explain how this non issue got rolling in the first place?

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 12/13/07 - 09:42 am
So why am I still paying back

So why am I still paying back my severance pay??? I have been paying this thing back for about 10 Years now from my disability!!!

dani
dani 12/13/07 - 11:08 am
Paying back your severance

Paying back your severance pay? Sounds as if you were terminated for good cause which means no severance pay is due you.
Did you get a dishonorable discharge?.....I think the writer is saying that as with any "Big business" mistakes can happen but is addressed and corrected as soon as possible which probably takes a while with all the red tape...
Some of these people did not fulfil the requirements of their contract. Remember too that we are a greedy society. All these claims might not be legit...................
Mr Bostrom..Thank you for your service and continued loyalty to our country.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 12/13/07 - 03:04 pm
Just another kool-aid drinker

Just another kool-aid drinker (Greenbaum) getting caught spreading BS....Richmound County Dems must be proud.

jack
jack 12/13/07 - 04:09 pm
Queen, soldiers/mrines are

Queen, soldiers/mrines are NOT being told they have to repay any bonusesthey received if ill or wounded and cannot serve their full obllicgation. It started with an error by the Army and concerned no more than two soldiers who got such letter in error. The mistake was taken care of weeks before Greenbums letteHe knew this but decided to try and pull the usual DIMocRAT smear on Bush anyhow. (as if Bush had any thing to do with it). Deborah Elliot, how about fiving us the details as I am sure there is a reson for you having to repay your severance pay. What severance pay? I never got any when I retired from the military. No doubt, Greenbums champion, Brad Owens is very proud of him.