For generations, the young and young at heart have spent the weeks leading up to Christmas with cocoa cooling and a holiday special on the tube. Many of the lasting images of the season - an animated Rudolph with his nose so bright, Frosty's magic hat, the Whos down in Whoville - are the direct result of holiday television specials.
How much, though, do you really know, really remember? Here's a chance to test your holiday special knowledge. Go ahead and slip into those footie pajamas, put your nose too close to the screen, and begin ...
1. What Christmas carol do Charlie Brown, Snoopy and company wrap up A Charlie Brown Christmas with?
2. What rock band appeared on The Star Wars Holiday Special?
3. What holiday variety show was taped under a large plastic dome filled with plants overlooking a snowy landscape?
4. Who was the voice/model for the mailman narrator in Santa Claus Is Coming to Town?
5. What was the name of the elf who wanted to be a dentist in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?
6. What great vaudevillian's final role was as a voice actor in Frosty the Snowman?
7. What is the name of the holiday special that inspired the name of Portland, Ore.-based band Heatmiser?
8. Which Rankin /Bass holiday special depicted murder, arson and a fluffy little lamb getting run down in the street?
9. What was the name of the group in competition with Emmet Otter's jug-band in Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas?
10. What cartoon kingpin produced Olive, the Other Reindeer?
11. Where did the Christmas-stealing Grinch make his home?
12. What did Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson open their now-terribly titled Nick & Jessica's Family Christmas with?
13. What animal writes an insulting letter to Santa Claus in 'Twas the Night Before Christmas?
14. What 1986 television special starred Drew Barrymore, Keanu Reeves and Pat Morita?
15. What rock legend once sang a duet with Bing Crosby on one of his annual Christmas specials?
16. Which Gilligan's Island castaway provided a voice for the 1974 animated special Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus?
SEE THE ANSWERS
Click here to get the answers to the questions.
Reach Steven Uhles at (706) 823-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.