Lakeside parents tacitly abide cheating

Well, it's over and it didn't even take as long as I thought. Now we can forget about the non -scandal of the Lakeside High School football coach being caught teaching our school children that cheating is fine -- even if you get caught! Before this event, I naÃvely believed getting caught was extremely hard on the cheater. Not so -- not in the Columbia County school system, nor with my Columbia County neighbors.

At least the Columbia County school superintendent made sure Jody Grooms was punished. He is required to repay the school for the $250 fine it paid the Georgia High School Association. He will lose his 12-month contract, athletic director supplement and an extra planning period given to athletic directors. Mr. Grooms also will receive an official reprimand from Superintendent Charles Nagle, and if he is caught the next time, he will be fired. Now that really is tough, isn't it?

Mr. Nagle said, "Without full termination, this is about as strict as you can get." If requiring a football team to practice at least one method of cheating, then instructing them to use it in a game, isn't deserving of termination, what is?

To me, the sad portion of this situation is that the punishment of Mr. Grooms by the school system -- first the principal, then the superintendent and finally the school board, all agreeing the man doesn't deserve firing -- is a figurative lashing with a wet noodle that merely agrees with the parents of these children. Children essentially are being taught there is no such thing as moral values. Why aren't the parents up in arms?

Do we now know our leaders in the Columbia County schools have no sense of moral values? Possibly, but until now, I didn't believe our citizens apparently agree with this. Should we all be ashamed of ourselves? If not, why not?

Richard Netzley, Evans

shivas
shivas 12/07/07 - 07:43 am
The AC is tacitly condoning

The AC is tacitly condoning stupidity by publishing this letter.

itcouldhappen
itcouldhappen 12/07/07 - 08:18 am
This is not over. This

This is not over. This incident will come up over and over again. Everytime a student in Columbia County is disciplined for cheating .... this will come up. Everytime someone doesn't like what a board member, principal or superintendent does ... this will come up. It is far from over. Mr. Grooms should recognize this and do the right thing like the coach at Greenbrier did.
The adults in the school system hold the students to a higher standard than they hold each other.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/07/07 - 08:40 am
Perhaps someone should call

Perhaps someone should call the Dept of Family services to report Grooms and supporting parents for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Perhaps this is a criminal offense with a pending prison term-maybe Im being a little puritanical. Too bad these kids can't go back in time 40-50 years and see how we use to win games with talent.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/07/07 - 09:18 am
Greenbrier High School coach

Greenbrier High School coach Scott Chadwick did the right thing and stepped down Wednesday now this Jody Grooms fella should teach the youngans the right thing and step down and move to another school in a different county and try to do it right the next time.

Dan White 12/07/07 - 09:36 am
Great letter. Thanks,

Great letter. Thanks, Richard! shivas, your head is buried in the sand. This issue is not going away. It is a dark cloud over LHS that will remain until Grooms steps down as coach. When the season starts again in '08 and he shows up for the thrid game after his suspension is served with missing the first two games, the whole incident will be rehashed again. His leadership is shot in the community. His lack of character is showing again and again - not only by teaching young kids to cheat but also because he doesn't have the character to do the right thing and step aside.

zigzag
zigzag 12/07/07 - 09:49 am
I would have fired the coach

I would have fired the coach for being a low-life cheat! How desperate for a win! But even lower are the folks that SUPPORT him! Hard work and solid coaching is what's needed, not illegal plays and stupidity.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 12/07/07 - 09:58 am
I gotta agree with dunabon

I gotta agree with dunabon and greenjacket. This just won't go away. It's a matter of principle, not just some stupid argument about football. If I were a kid at LHS, I'd be cheating my a-- off in class right about now, daring the school to do to me what it wasn't willing to do to the football coach. If I were a teacher I'd be livid. There is most definitely a double standard at play here. Nothing undermines authority and causes loss of respect faster than preaching one thing but doing another.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/07/07 - 10:13 am
If Lakeside was fair, they

If Lakeside was fair, they would have had Grooms sacrifice at least one limb to the fire god. An arm, a leg, something. There's nothing like watching a limb burn to make you suffer enough for a bad decision. Oh well, at least it'll give the AC and the perfect people of Augusta something to write about the rest of their lives.

youbet
youbet 12/07/07 - 10:21 am
Makes you wonder if the LHS

Makes you wonder if the LHS principals give the touchdown club's children preferential treatment as well.

Dan White 12/07/07 - 10:45 am
patricia, according to your

patricia, according to your reasoning, we need to do away with ISS and OSS in the schools, disband the professional practice commission that can take away a teacher's certificate for misconduct, and empty the prisons since none of us has the right to judge according to your way of thinking.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/07/07 - 10:55 am
What a mess. I'm glad my

What a mess. I'm glad my children don't go to that school. How embarassing. I hope time helps solve this problem, if the Ethics board doesn't. If he did something like this, how can anybody TRUST him? He stays, but Chadwick leaves? I'm confused.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/07/07 - 11:39 am
Patti they should burn his

Patti they should burn his moutain oysters because his tiny little brain and other appendages are too small to sacrifice (nor would he notice them missing), but I appreciate the sentiment. Hee, hee. Well I don't mind letting him pursue his career and raising his family-just not around here. You have to be a real moron not to resign and move on in a place you have zero credibility, but that doesn't stop posters here either. hee, hee.

Eric
Eric 12/07/07 - 12:02 pm
youbet they are youbet!

youbet they are youbet! Pardon the pun!

wise ole man
wise ole man 12/07/07 - 12:16 pm
I'm wondering who is really

I'm wondering who is really receiving the worse punishment. Chadwick is leaving so he will not be subjected to the criticism and puns that will be would have been thrown his way where as Grooms along with his supporters will stil be here to be jeered at, poked fun at and laughed at. If fan response to Grooms entering the gym during the turkey tip off is any indictation of what's to come, the mere humiliation will be humbling enough.

MATTERS2ME2
MATTERS2ME2 12/07/07 - 03:08 pm
children live as they

children live as they learn...

Simply Lovely
Simply Lovely 12/08/07 - 02:11 am
hey...at least it's something

hey...at least it's something that show columbia county does have its issues too! lol