Wife makes deal in boy's death

BRUNSWICK, Ga. --- Peggy Edenfield can escape the death penalty or life in prison without parole in the sexual abuse slaying of 6-year-old Christopher Michael Barrios Jr. if she testifies against her son and husband.

In an agreement approved by the victim's family, prosecutors will spare Ms. Edenfield's life to bolster their case against her husband, David Edenfield, 58, and their son, George Edenfield, 31, in the March 8 abduction and killing of the Glynn County kindergarten pupil, District Attorney Stephen Kelley said Tuesday. Both George and David Edenfield still face the death penalty if convicted of malice murder in the slaying.

"This will certainly strengthen our case against those who we believe actually committed Christopher's murder," Mr. Kelley told the Times-Union . "The Barrios family understands why this is being done, and they approved of withdrawing the death penalty for Peggy Edenfield. We wouldn't have done this without their agreement."

Ms. Edenfield, 57, will not receive immunity for her testimony and cooperation with investigators. She remains charged with malice murder and seven related charges stemming from the boy's death, court documents filed Tuesday showed.

She automatically will be sentenced to life in prison with eligibility for parole if convicted of malice murder in the case.

"She would have to serve at least 30 years in prison before she would become eligible for release," Mr. Kelley said.

Ms. Edenfield also has agreed to testify against family friend Donald Dale, 34, who is charged with helping dispose of Christopher's body.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 12/06/07 - 07:23 am
Every idiot in this family

Every idiot in this family and involved in this case should rot in hell.

justputtin
justputtin 12/06/07 - 07:53 am
Hard to disagree with

Hard to disagree with panther. This is horrible.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 12/06/07 - 08:04 am
Rot in hell....ouch that is

Rot in hell....ouch that is such a harsh statement. So much venom! I'd rather leave it in God's hands and let His judgment handle the matter. That way you'll be sure these people get just what they deserve for such horrible things.
I guess I can say that from a distance but if it were my son, I'd probably be saying that same thing. :(

SilentJ
SilentJ 12/06/07 - 08:31 am
The uncle of Christopher is

The uncle of Christopher is my brothers best friend we all grew up together and still see each other to this day.The family is really struggling to move on of course thats expected.They are such wonderful people and just want to see justice served.I hope all those involved get exactly what they deserve and then some it's such a horrible thing to imagine we were told details that were just unimaginable and extremely disturbing.I have a son a year older than Christopher it really hit home for me.I wish them all the best!

getalife
getalife 12/06/07 - 08:52 am
Too bad people given the

Too bad people given the death penalty will sit on death row for many years and maybe die there of natural causes. But people that harm or murder women or children should be executed!! Maybe prison justice will take care of this trash!!

pofwe
pofwe 12/06/07 - 08:57 am
It is hard to believe that

It is hard to believe that people like this exist.

ripjones
ripjones 12/06/07 - 09:13 am
Edith - God can do what he

Edith - God can do what he wants to, with what's left. What was done to that poor child should be done to every person involved. Unfortunately, we show a hell of a lot more mercy to our Death Row inamtes, than they EVER showed to their victims.

thugskin
thugskin 12/06/07 - 09:21 am
No need to wait for hell.

No need to wait for hell. Give them hell here.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 12/06/07 - 09:29 am
Amen thugskin, Amen.

Amen thugskin, Amen.

tgray
tgray 12/06/07 - 09:39 am
Isn't this the case that the

Isn't this the case that the Granfather molested and tourtured the child in front of the Grandmother and with her help? I kind of recall they tortured him severly along with the sexual abuse before killing him. I kind of remember the death occured during the abuse.
The devil was working overtime on this and the pain that boy endoured is hard to forgive and is is tough not to judge.

paragod112
paragod112 12/06/07 - 10:06 am
Well I am like Panther they

Well I am like Panther they need to Rot in HELL how can someone do this to anyone especially to a sweet little kid. I have 2 great nephews, and 3 nephews and 5 nieces and if someone ever did this to them not sure if there would be much for the devil to have of them when family got to them but that is my view. my the family who lost the little boy find peace and the people who commited the crime burn in hell

evafay
evafay 12/06/07 - 10:08 am
There is no punishment harsh

There is no punishment harsh enough for these demonic so called people. Even death is too good for them.

rainboot
rainboot 12/06/07 - 10:14 am
This is just my humble

This is just my humble opinion here...so take it for what it is. But, I think that the death penalty AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS is pitiful. An individual is investigated, indicted, arrested, arraigned and then sits awaiting trial. Any amount of time can pass before that individual is brought to trial. The trial lasts for a lengthy period. They are found guilty and then a sentencing hearing is held. FINALLY (after months of due process) they are sent to their new home where they are fed and kept warm (sure prison justice and prison life is no cake-walk) - but, they are fed and kept warm at night. Then after YEARS or DECADES of waiting their execution date and time are set. They get a last meal of their choosing, have plenty of time to make peace with God, and then die by lethal injection. Were their victims given these privileges? No. They were not. So, I am in favor of the "eye-for-an-eye" execution methodology. Meaning, once sentenced - the individual should live in fear that at any moment without notice he or she will die without privilege. Swift, slow, painful, horrific? Let the family members of the victims decide how. Eye for an eye.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/06/07 - 10:36 am
I agree rainboot either way

I agree rainboot either way death or jail is still an easier sentence than the torture these killers give to their victims!!

daytonabeachgirl
daytonabeachgirl 12/06/07 - 10:40 am
Personally, I think that if a

Personally, I think that if a person is given the death penalty, they should be given one appeal within a very reasonable amount of time because mistakes do happen and if that appeal fails then the death penalty should be carried out immediately. No more of this 10 to 15 years of free room and board, medical and dental care, etc. on the taxpayers. If you are caught in the act of a murder, rape or molesting a child then trial, convict and execute. When we start showing the criminals that there is no free ride and we mean business, we may change the world but who knows, some people never learn.

Gruvy Legz
Gruvy Legz 12/06/07 - 10:45 am
Much agreed rainboot, well

Much agreed rainboot, well said.

groovin
groovin 12/06/07 - 11:17 am
She'll be 97 years old by the

She'll be 97 years old by the time she's eligable for parole. I hope she is dead by that time. The wholw family needs to be executed.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 12:00 pm
Some of what all of you are

Some of what all of you are saying, I have said about the 22 yr old who killed her 2 kids last week here in Augusta. People are still attacking me for my opinions. They don't seem to understand that killers need to be given the same respect and understanding that they gave their victims.
The 6 yr old boy tortured and killed by the Edenfields was robbed of his precious life. It was taken away by those monsters. Where is the outrage of our children being murdered everyday?I saw a headline this morning that said a woman is suspected of killing her 5 kids. It has to stop, or our nation will become so use to it that nobody will care.

EnoughAlready
EnoughAlready 12/06/07 - 12:02 pm
I think that anyone who has

I think that anyone who has the audacity to do that to a child deserves to die in the same manner that poor innocent child did. It's unimaginable that there are actually people in the world like this. God Bless the victims family.

betterme706
betterme706 12/06/07 - 12:22 pm
I don't agree that people

I don't agree that people that commit crimes to women and children should be put on death row they should be put in with some of the biggest baddest inmates that disagree with crimes such as those and let them torchure them for days till their death of pain cut off piece by piece of them.......They are sick people who torchured a little helpless boy who was just playing in his yard...We are suppost to protect our children...any child whether its yours or not look out for our kids...Them people are SICK...Torture them, cut off body pieces sodimize them with awful things and then let them sit there and die a painful death....Get Em' inmates:)

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/06/07 - 12:28 pm
I think they all should be

I think they all should be put to death..........they are freaks who don't belong in this world..........

anm1980
anm1980 12/06/07 - 12:30 pm
This was the saddest thing

This was the saddest thing that I have ever heard of, and it hurt me deeply because Christopher looks so much like my own six year old little boy. It will be in God's hands, but it will still satisfy me to see them put to death.

betterme706
betterme706 12/06/07 - 12:35 pm
Rose the only one that can

Rose the only one that can stop this nation of doing this to our kids is God...pray for our nation....we are one nation under God.... we should of never taken prayer out of schools...this nation has been only getting worse people to get a handle on this we need to Pray pray pray....and keep on praying..our days are short and those people who do these are even shorter

anm1980
anm1980 12/06/07 - 12:40 pm
Rose, I understand your

Rose, I understand your reasoning, but the crimes are nowhere near the same. I think that the mother was most definitely wrong, but we don't know what she was going through mentally to do what she did. The people that did this to little Christopher are just sick, psychotic people. You can't say that three grown people did this in a state of passion or distress. They all three took part in torturing, raping and murdering this poor child. It's not the same at all. And they all knew exactly what they were doing, and did it for sexual pleasure. That is not the same as a mother whol evidentally just lost it for whatever reason.

Chuchi
Chuchi 12/06/07 - 01:18 pm
Rose, unfortunately, our

Rose, unfortunately, our nation has become used to it. The late Pope John Paul II described it exactly when he called it "the culture of death." We are living in it. But we have to keep our eyes fixed on the Lord; in Him is our hope.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 02:54 pm
anm1980 they killed him.

anm1980 they killed him. Forget about why they did it. I am not going to try to figure out why. the fact is they did it.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 02:56 pm
I am sick and tired of

I am sick and tired of criminals playing the mental card. All of them can't be mentally ill. they say that just to get out of what they did.

dani
dani 12/06/07 - 03:16 pm
Sick, sick, sick....and full

Sick, sick, sick....and full of evil

butterflygina
butterflygina 12/06/07 - 03:32 pm
You get a stupid, idiotic boy

You get a stupid, idiotic boy raping son when two stupid, idiotic, child molesting people decide to have children. George's daddy and mommie had to have molested him, probably all his pitiful life. I wonder how much molestation they are getting in prison?

Tall1
Tall1 12/06/07 - 06:41 pm
Rose: You're right on track,

Rose: You're right on track, don't give in to the hypocrisy. As these evil people have taken a young persons life and should be put to death, so should the mother who DISMEMBERED her children.