Augusta is stagnant, and here's why

After working and traveling across most of Asia and several countries of Africa, I returned to Augusta nearly six months ago. During this time, I've had the privilege to play golf at some of the most exclusive clubs in and around Augusta. Also, I've attended many assemblies (churches) and met with ministers and leaders. As a result of these outings over the past six months, I came to realize why Augusta is somewhat stagnant.

First, most civic leaders from places such as West Lake and the country clubs are left out of the decision-making process. In addition to what their constituents are saying, our appointed leaders should be talking with civic leaders in Augusta because they are the movers and shakers.

Jesus gave very emphatic instructions to the disciples: He told them to go and preach the kingdom's message; especially to the poor, the fatherless and widows: The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. Loose those captives of the devil. Heal the sick. And tell his message to those who will listen.

But at no time while visiting churches did I hear anyone preach, teach or expound on these instructions. However, I did hear local sermons based on the philosophies of men.

Isn't this the very thing that Jesus and his disciples warned us not to do?

The Rev. Dr. Wesley Ellis, Hephzibah

iletuknow
iletuknow 12/06/07 - 07:11 am
The town correctly reflects

The town correctly reflects the majority of people that live here.

shivas
shivas 12/06/07 - 07:48 am
WHAAT??? Reverend Ellis

WHAAT??? Reverend Ellis hanging-out with the West Lake and Country Club boys, and now putting them out to be the victim. This is just the funniest thing I have read in years. Poor Rev. Ellis out there sermonizing to the COuntry Club boys on the exclusive, racist golf course. Now that is doing the work of Jesus! Of course Jesus would not be let in the country club.

kwl
kwl 12/06/07 - 09:40 am
I am a member and attend Good

I am a member and attend Good Shepherd Episcopal Church on Walton Way. The homily or Sermon message always relates to the Gospel Reading appointed for the day. The Gospels are appointed by the Church calendar, according to the Book of Common Prayer. The same Gospels are read in Episcopal Churches throughout the world. Please visit more churches, fewer Country Clubs.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/06/07 - 09:58 am
Now, that's funny right

Now, that's funny right there. This Wesley Ellis fella must'f been drinking some cocktails at the country clubs when he wrote this and sent it in. I'm thinking he need to go on back to Africa.

ThurstonHowell
ThurstonHowell 12/06/07 - 10:02 am
Don't flatter yourself

Don't flatter yourself shivas, you mistake racism for snobism, your a miserable person, I bet you blame that on white folks too, go get a life.

pofwe
pofwe 12/06/07 - 10:28 am
See, Rev. Dr. Wesley Ellis,

See, Rev. Dr. Wesley Ellis, the penultimate paragraph of your letter was apparently not read and this was the hingepin of your letter. Readers did pick-up on the fact that you hang with the affluent. So far responders have seemingly disagreed with your observations. I agree with you concerning "Jesus gave very emphatic instructions to the disciples." Preachers I've heard disregard what Jesus instructed, but pay close attention to the doctorines & customs of their organized religions; as evidenced by kwl, who feels he/she should follow the church calendar as dictated by the "church." People forget their gift of "free-will," & the instructions in Acts 17:11 "they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." In closing, "would-be christians" want to be lead into heaven by the instructions of their pastors whom themselves instruct none of Christs instructions. They serve for a periodic paycheck that supplies the needs of the flesh. One other reason your letter is not warmly received ... people really don't like the title of "The 'Rev. Dr.' Whatever it implies a position of aloofness or better than thou. Be a servant.

coco rubio
coco rubio 12/06/07 - 10:39 am
i'm pretty sure jesus

i'm pretty sure jesus wouldn't be allowed to play at the augusta country club or the national........his hair is too long and he insists on always wearing those sandals........

LaTwon
LaTwon 12/06/07 - 10:52 am
snobbery works both ways.....

snobbery works both ways..... most people that bash "country clubbers" are basically insecure and jealous. many a long hair has played ACC and The National. because someone pays to have a beautiful place to hang out with their buds makes them hated? perhaps a 35 000 dollar bass boat and a hopped up pick up is more your style, who cares. i doubt jesus would be peddling alcohol to people and then ride his high horse either.

coco rubio
coco rubio 12/06/07 - 11:06 am
jesus turned water into

jesus turned water into wine.......

rufus
rufus 12/06/07 - 11:11 am
Rev. Ellis, I'm available if

Rev. Ellis,

I'm available if you need a forth at Augusta National.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/06/07 - 12:10 pm
I got a shotgun rifle and a

I got a shotgun rifle and a hopped up 4wheel drive and a $45,000.00 Bass Boat and a country boy can servive. YEEE Hawww I skinned a buck the other day and ran a trout line last spring and a country boy can servive.

avoter
avoter 12/06/07 - 12:42 pm
i would like to disagree with

i would like to disagree with the person who claims country club members are racists. i work at a cc and have met more people outside the club that are racists. do not bash what you do not know.

grouse
grouse 12/06/07 - 01:04 pm
What a convoluted letter!

What a convoluted letter!

Former Augustan
Former Augustan 12/06/07 - 01:29 pm
Why does religion enter into

Why does religion enter into every decision about Augusta?

Farful
Farful 12/06/07 - 01:52 pm
who is the "Rev. Dr. Ellis"

who is the "Rev. Dr. Ellis" and where did he get his doctorate ?

shivas
shivas 12/06/07 - 02:21 pm
crazy old man, maybe you need

crazy old man, maybe you need to spit some beechnut in that dudes eye, and shoot him with your old 45, 'cause a country boy can servive. LaTwon, I'd love to take you riding on my camoflauged 4-wheeler.

What a Day
What a Day 12/06/07 - 03:02 pm
Crazy old man, you would have

Crazy old man, you would have loved that big buck that ranned in front of my car yesterday on Tobacco Road around 11 a.m. Scared the living daylights out of me!

As for Reverend Ellis, I won't comment. I actually heard him preach and the man knows his stuff.

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/06/07 - 03:16 pm
Another letter to the editor

Another letter to the editor from another local kook.. Gotta love The Chronicle.

RichmondCo_HoodResident
RichmondCo_HoodResident 12/06/07 - 03:19 pm
This is a terribly written

This is a terribly written letter. Why use "First" when you only have one point? Where is the second and third reasons? This article is rubbish and is far from a complete thought. It's just incoherent babbling. Where's the link? He's talking about civic leaders, then all of a sudden he breaks into biblical talk that really in no way refers to his first and only point. What a waste of ink.

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/06/07 - 03:20 pm
Does the Chronicle have any

Does the Chronicle have any standards at all for publishing a letter to the editor.. such as the letters making sense? This letter is totally incoherent.. It rambles on about the Westlake Country club, Augusta being stagnant, and a sermon by Jesus. A respectable newspaper would not publish nonsense like this.

RichmondCo_HoodResident
RichmondCo_HoodResident 12/06/07 - 03:21 pm
hahahah my point exaclty hill

hahahah my point exaclty hill guy! too funny!

jack
jack 12/06/07 - 03:57 pm
Gee, Crazy, you're one of

Gee, Crazy, you're one of those bass fishng snobs who probably didn't show up for the fishing day sponsored at the lake for our soldiers. As for the Doc's letter, seems he didn't come to First Baptist, whre both the old and new testament are read each Sunday, and the sermon based on the latter, nor did he attend my Sunday school class, where we study both Old and New Testatment. Frankly, I don't see anyone I now from West lake OR the Country Club.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/06/07 - 05:09 pm
I bet that did scare you

I bet that did scare you portuguese. A wild animail is not something you want to tangle with. I hit a big doe about 15 years ago and it totaled out my Jeep. It hit and flipped it right up in to the windshield and it buckled the doors and the hardtop. The seatbelt held me tight in the seat and the windshield was about 3" from my nose. I's running about 65mph..but a contry boy can servive. Any way so portuguese I'm glad you didn't hit it. oh and I don't know who this Wesley Ellis fella is but, I don't think country clubbin has anything to do with running a city.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/06/07 - 05:16 pm
I don't know about the snob

I don't know about the snob part jack, I don't think I am and yes you are right I didn't take a soldier fishing that day because I had to work although I offered to let my retired army friend use my boat that day and do it but he wouldn't he said because of the low water level and he didn't know the lake very well.

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 12/06/07 - 05:24 pm
I am not a member of Westlake

I am not a member of Westlake ar The ACC. But here's a thought. The members there, more often than not,are successful business men. I know a lot of them and have done business with them in the financial sector. They are in general family oriented, structured, and pleasant people. You do have the occasional silver spon in the butt, I mean mouth types too. But if I wanted some ideas on how to run something, I think a good place to start might just be with people who have been a success. Also, the people that are working on being successful that aren't members of any clubs like that. Personally, I don't think anybody at Super C's would help. So don't be full of haterade all the time. Now I say grace and I say ma'am and if you ain't into that I don't give a damn.

blackjack30
blackjack30 12/06/07 - 07:47 pm
crazyoldman, did you catch

crazyoldman, did you catch any trout on that "trout" line? I think it's called a trot line. Anyway, "I had a friend in NY City, didn't call me by my name, just hillbilly!"

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 12/06/07 - 08:51 pm
That would be a trot line.

That would be a trot line. And you don't catch too many trout with em. A trot line is a line set in the water with a bunch of hooks baited. I always set mine at night and checked em in the morning. I'd catch redbellies and the occasional turtle. Trout are caught by flyfishing. If you fellas that don't know that are country boys, lawd help you. Y'all won't live long. But then again, I'm jus a dum ol' country boy from south Georgia.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/06/07 - 09:46 pm
Ahhh darn, just go ahead and

Ahhh darn, just go ahead and shoot me.... Thanks for the lesson Jackblack. No no trout on the TROT line. Mostly Catfish and Gar and a bass every now and again. Sneaky I'v cought a many a trout on a Zebco 33 and if I was to get a Redbellie on one of my TROT lines it would be some kinda record because the hooks I use are to big for them. I bait mine right at dark and check and rebait them once at night and agian in the morning. I've lived long enough to ba a crazy old man and that's long enough for me.

blackjack30
blackjack30 12/06/07 - 10:22 pm
crazyoldman and sneak, we

crazyoldman and sneak, we need to set one in the river one night. I do mine like you do, crazy, but ain't affraid of trying sneaks way!