Billing injured troops is shameful

While all of us are exchanging greeting cards at this holiday time and getting ready to welcome returning troops, the Pentagon is sending out its own greetings.

The greetings are in the form of bills to troops who have been blinded, had their limbs amputated, suffered brain traumas -- these and others who could not complete their tours of duty in Iraq. Since they had received a bonus for signing up, the greetings turn out to be bills for the time left in their tour. The Pentagon wants to be fair, and is only billing for the part of the bonus based on the months served!

This is the way the administration is supporting our troops who are injured and maimed. While one must be skeptical about such an outrage, it has been confirmed by the Associated Press and U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, who has a constituent who was blinded and billed for $2,500 against the $10,000 bonus he received for signing. This unbelievable act of the administration billing veterans for their injuries in the support of President Bush's war is not tolerable, and flies in the face of Bush's charge that it is the Democrats who do not support the troops.

Billing war veterans for their injuries is not something most people could ever comprehend. Now that this practice has been exposed, let's see if our Republican members of Congress rise up as they should against this insult to our fighting troops. There is no point in asking Bush to do the same.

Lowell Greenbaum, Augusta

(The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/06/07 - 06:48 am
Let's see you Bush lovers

Let's see you Bush lovers attack this one......

bigdaddogg
bigdaddogg 12/06/07 - 07:36 am
Another example of a rabid

Another example of a rabid Democrat seizing on anything to belittle the President. If you would just take the time to read the AP article on this from yesterday, you'd see that there were only two cases of this happening and both were acknowledged as clerical errors. NO serviceman has had to repay an enlistment bonus due to injuries suffered in Iraq, and DOD policy has always been not to recoup enlistment bonuses due to combat injuries. Schumer, Greenbaum, and the rest of the rabid Dem attack dogs will seize on any issue possible to get at President Bush. Their actions would be reprehensible if it wasn't so sad.

ddeamcpao
ddeamcpao 12/06/07 - 07:40 am
Mr. Greenbaum: Fortunately

Mr. Greenbaum: Fortunately the information you have received is incorrect. BG Tucker announced: "If you are ill or were injured while on duty, the Army will not ask you to repay any portion of your recruitment bonus, said Brig. Gen. Mike Tucker, assistant surgeon general for Warrior Care and Transition, after news reports surfaced earlier this week that the service was seeking repayment of bonuses from ill and wounded soldiers." (You can read the entire press release at http://www.ddeamc.amedd.army.mil/News/newsfor.htm).

If you know of a Soldier experiencing problems, please forward him or her the following hotline contact information:

The hotline can be reached by phone at (800) 984-8523. Callers will receive a response within one day of their call. Soldiers and their Families may also call from overseas assignments on Defense Switch Network 312-328-0002 and stateside DSN on 328-0002. The hotline also receives messages via email at wsfsupport@conus.army.mil. Other helpful resources can be found at www.armyfamiliesonline.org.

Respectfully,
Jennifer M. Chipman
Eisenhower Army Medical Center Public Affairs Officer

mastersmoney
mastersmoney 12/06/07 - 08:33 am
I was just wondering: Has

I was just wondering: Has everyone forgotten about the 3000 innocent people that died on Sept. 11, 2001? When President Bush vowed to get revenge on whoever was responsible for this, everyone cheered and supported him. Now, because this war has taken longer than everyone thought it would, everyone wants to bash him and rip his heart out. If he said S. Hussein was involved, its only because he was told that information by people who were looking into to. He didnt personally go there to check things out. If no WMD's were found and he said they were there, he only said that because he was told they were there. I can not understand why everyone hates him so much. As far as I can recall, we havent had any more planes blowing up into our buildings killing our families. Be thankful we arent having a war on Washington Rd or Broad St or anywhere else in America. President Bush is doing the best job he can do, and if people don't agree with his job, then you shouldn't have voted for him. And if you didn't vote for him, then tough. He is the President, and instead of bashing him, maybe you should pray for him that he gets the correct information passed to him. Judge Not...

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/06/07 - 08:35 am
Greenbaum is following

Greenbaum is following Hillary's strategy in spinning the truth to belittle any opponent. I am sure he knows that he is passing misinformation and that is the Dem strategy, of course the Rep are no better. This election is like Pirates of the Caribbean-ready to pillage and plunder.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 12/06/07 - 09:07 am
More Dem Bulls...t Spin

More Dem Bulls...t Spin masters. Greenbaum is one of the lowest to even write something like this when he knows it was wrong. Richmond County Dems you can be proud once again. Idiots

anotherthought
anotherthought 12/06/07 - 09:16 am
mastersmoney--I did not vote

mastersmoney--I did not vote for him and never would. If I did my job like he does his (with half of the information) I would be fired in a heartbeat. Instead of wasting money fighting a war we should not be in, that money should be spent cleaning up our own problems at home--gang violence, drugs, loss of jobs to foreign countries. We have enough problems without looking for more trouble to get in to. I DO SUPPORT OUR TROUPS and I will until the day I die but I will be glad when Bush leaves Washington, no matter who replaces him.

ThurstonHowell
ThurstonHowell 12/06/07 - 09:54 am
Bush did exactly what we

Bush did exactly what we wanted him to do in 2002, 3 out of 4 wanted war. Remember??? Well, guess what, we got it. Yeah, it's a mess and it's time to let em sink or swim but we asked for this so don't deny it. Also, any topic Greenbaum brings up is subject simply because it is signed Greenbaum. What a kook. I remember when you and your wife wrote that you were done with AJC, what happened? Please go back to La-La land or wherever it is you originated.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 12/06/07 - 11:41 am
gee ddeammcpao just think if

gee ddeammcpao just think if all the parents who love to keep this country at war,would send THEIR PRECIOUS darlings into the military,they wouldn't have to entice the few who volunteer would they?if all of these flag waving,yellow ribbon cowards would join instead of hiding behind mommies dress,the army wouldn't have to issue bonuses would they?the military with bush the ultimate criminal and coward who hid in the tang are responsible for these soldiers welfare regardless if they volunteered or not!

Been There
Been There 12/06/07 - 01:26 pm
Gee Charlie you seem upset!!!

Gee Charlie you seem upset!!! Key word is volunteer. I don't think anyone would disagree with you that this country should/will take care of the Soldiers, regardless if they volunteered or not.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 12/06/07 - 03:01 pm
Geez, Chuck. Calling a spade

Geez, Chuck. Calling a spade a spade. It reads a little cold-hearted sometimes the truth hurts. With respect to mastersmoney's comments, I guess everyone just wants to kill the messenger. People sometimes have certain expectations when their president issues a statement, whether it's not having sexual relations with interns or the existence of WMDs. Ultimately, the highest office in the USA and the most powerful position in the world needs to have some accountability.

jack
jack 12/06/07 - 03:39 pm
GACopperhead, I have taken

GACopperhead, I have taken this matter up with Senator DeMint and he has assured me that ONE soldier got such a letter and was a mistake on the part of the Army. He assured me that this is NOT happening after the matter was cleared up. In other words, more Greenbum crap thrown in the proverbial fan.

jack
jack 12/06/07 - 03:46 pm
Charleyyounce, my daughter

Charleyyounce, my daughter recently had her son (my grandson) volunteer for the Army and she doesn't put yellow anything on her vehicle, as that is the color of a coward. We are extremely proud of him and wish him wll. BTW, you ever serve? If so with which service and when?

reader@work
reader@work 12/06/07 - 05:43 pm
The government is the ones

The government is the ones who sent our men and women to Iraq and offered this bonus so that more men and women would go. NOW they want them to pay back the government?...this is an outright ridiculous practice. I believe, as a mother, that since our troops voluntarily signed up to serve ALL of us to help keep us free, we should support them by paying for any medical needs they might have free of charge. Don't tell me that if my daughter comes back from Iraq injured, that she'll have to pull out her hard earned money to pay back our government.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/06/07 - 05:51 pm
Reader, it not true.

Reader, it not true. Greenbaum is a liar.

KSL
KSL 12/06/07 - 08:24 pm
No wonder coaches cheat. They

No wonder coaches cheat. They learn from politicians. Seems Mr. Greenbaum's credibility is on the level of one Lakeside Head Football Coach's. I'd like to think there would be an apology for the misinformation in the letter he wrote, or at least an admittance that he was misinformed.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 12/06/07 - 08:52 pm
KSL....I have tried to debate

KSL....I have tried to debate cain on the site you mentioned, but every time I try to oppose him, he gets my posts deleted and bans me from the site. Good thing I know how to spoof IP addresses, cause he blocked me from even seeing the board. Always a coward.

As It Is
As It Is 12/06/07 - 10:49 pm
Nice of Lowell to show us

Nice of Lowell to show us just how bad he strives to jump at anything to criticize our President. Although there are many decisions President Bush and others could do that are better, making up stories or jumping on the bandwagon without knowing the facts in never good for any of us and certainly is not ecpected of leaders from either party.

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.