Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

cottoncandy16
cottoncandy16 12/06/07 - 07:02 am
Rose, you laugh and say

Rose, you laugh and say inchrist does not know your family, but you don't know the Hawes Family so shut you mouth about them. When you can go and meet this family and see how they live,, then you can talk about them. Until then go find some elses lifwe to talk about. I guess you don't have a life of your own.

PAW
PAW 12/06/07 - 07:05 am
yeah ! spoiled to

yeah ! spoiled to death!!!!

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/06/07 - 07:08 am
The abortion "doctors" are

The abortion "doctors" are killing children every day. God will judge us as a nation for this. Jesus said that the little children are like the kingdom of Heaven. The attack on them is a crafty one by Satan upon God's kingdom.

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/06/07 - 07:35 am
The floor is open.

The floor is open.

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/06/07 - 07:37 am
We have a motion and a

We have a motion and a second......

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/06/07 - 07:38 am
All in favor......

All in favor......

t2007
t2007 12/06/07 - 08:03 am
Please Please leave Rose

Please Please leave Rose alone. There is something else deeper going on with her that we can't comprehend. This story has broken my heart also and I can't imagine what could have gone wrong to make Michelle do this. However, I am thankful I have the mindset that I have and pray that I continue to have the mindset and love and protect my two angels. I was among the first breed of posters and haven't post anything since probably Tuesday. To fine that Rose is avidly still here, I know something else is going on. I can't find it, but doesn't it say somewhere in the bible that we should not waste time on people who don't comprehend HIS Goodness. So pray for her don't attack her, no matter how strong her words are. I have been praying for the childern in this world and their parents. I spoke to one of my clients yesterday (young single mother with 3 kids not working) about this story and her stressors and frustration. I don't know why Michelle done what she did (maybe she snapped, maybe she didn't). I just thank GOD. I will continue to pray for children and their parents. I am sure Michelle, Susan S, or Felicia mom didn't think she would do her crime.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 12:13 pm
cottoncandy,don't tell me to

cottoncandy,don't tell me to shutup. you don't own this board, so get over it. the heffer killed her kids. I don't care why she did it. She did it. That is called facts. I care about the victims. I see you don't.You say I don't have a brain? YOU make me sick! What makes you think you can tell me what to do? You don't care about victims, only the criminals. Maybe you have a record? If you don't, you will, because you sound very violent.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 01:08 pm
Peace4u, you did not

Peace4u, you did not understand what I meant. I did not mean never preach. A person can tell others a lot more if they live The Word instead of running their mouth all the time preaching. Do unto others the way you want others to do unto you.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 01:12 pm
InChristLove , go back and

InChristLove , go back and read my posts. I did not say you are a wolf in sheep's clothing.I don't know if you are or not,but I do know plenty who are.

missroe
missroe 12/06/07 - 01:26 pm
People when you have walked a

People when you have walked a mile in the others person's shoes then you can be the judge and jury until then remember no one knows what tomorrow may bring. Be careful of judging others. In a blink of an eye you could be this person we are discussing.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 01:30 pm
missroe , if you are talking

missroe , if you are talking about me, then you take your own advice.

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 01:30 pm
Have you ever walked a mile

Have you ever walked a mile in a victim's shoes?

Peace4u
Peace4u 12/06/07 - 09:45 pm
Intersting point Rose. Do

Intersting point Rose. Do unto others as you would have them do unto to you. This means forgive, so that you will be forgiven. Show others mercy so that you can obtain mercy. You see Rose doing unto others is not just a physical act. Also, Jesus forgave those who plotted to kill him, and eventually prayed for those who were executing him. We have to have that same heart. Surely if Jesus can love, forgive and show mercy to those who killed him...we can do the same for those who kill others. He asked God to forgive them, have mercy on them for they know not what they do. This should be our prayer for Michelle! Think about it!

Rose
Rose 12/06/07 - 11:28 pm
Peace4u, I don't need you or

Peace4u, I don't need you or anyone on here to preach to me. My faith is a very personal relationship with God. I don't need to explain it to anyone here. We have laws that we are to obey. She killed her kids. She broke the law.So don't try to twist it around to suit your thinking. 2 things I won't argue about is politics and religion. I won't change your views and you won't change mine. good night

Peace4u
Peace4u 12/07/07 - 07:11 am
Bless You!

Bless You!

jshep67
jshep67 12/07/07 - 12:52 pm
PORTUGUESE.., "DESPITEFULLY"?

PORTUGUESE.., "DESPITEFULLY"? Aren't you the one that told me how you graduated VERY high in your high-school and college? What schools were these again? Your self-righteousness is showing like a dingy slip protruding forth from a prom dress. Do us ALL a favor and CAN your SANCTIFICATION. Did you forget how 'deeds outweigh words'?

Rose
Rose 12/07/07 - 12:54 pm
hahaha you tell her!

hahaha you tell her!

Rose
Rose 12/07/07 - 01:04 pm
Look at the 8:52 am post

Look at the 8:52 am post today on across the area. Compare her comments to this story. Very different.

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...