Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

Farful
Farful 12/03/07 - 11:02 am
you're right rose. we should

you're right rose. we should tell it like it is. a crazy woman killed her children.

Helpforours
Helpforours 12/03/07 - 11:04 am
Rose, you are a fine example

Rose, you are a fine example of what God does NOT want us to be. May God bless you with humbleness and compassion before you leave this earth.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/07 - 11:06 am
I'd just like to comment on

I'd just like to comment on all the hateful comments made concering Ms. Hawes and the taking of her two children's life towards the posters asking for prayer for Ms. Hawes. It's so sad that our society is filled with hatred towards our fellow man. I'm sure that everyone will agree that what Ms. Hawes did was unbelievable and the most horrible thing one can imajine. When posters voice concern for her or ask for prayer it's not that we agree with what she did or wish that she doesn't pay. So many of you mentioned there is plenty of help out there - why didn't she go get help. What people fail to understand that if you are depressed or mentally impaired you don't think rationally or logically. Ms. Hawes wouldn't be thinking or acting like normal people so the thought that she needs help would have never crossed her mind. The young girl needs to be prosecuted for her crime but she also needs help not condemnation. Something like this could happen within our own families or close friends - would we be as quick to call them a monster or spur our hatred comments. No one has any idea how we would react until it hits closer to home.

freedom
freedom 12/03/07 - 11:18 am
i have to give props to

i have to give props to december 3rd for being the most absurd person on this message board. the whole hawes family siutation is sad. my heart goes out to the mother, yes what she did was horrible and despicable..however, it is not our place to judge her character, her relationship with the father of the children, nor any other relative she has. what should be happening is that we pray for her, her family, and any one who was directly effected by this tradgedy (think of the store clerk, the emergency personnel, etc..) cudos to kenny's master kutz, mays mortuary, fatz & cher (96.3), goodwill industries, whole life ministries, georgia bank &trust, helen blocker-ware,
island seafood, and the many other establishments and persons responding in such a humanitarian way....

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:20 am
Helpforours, you don't even

Helpforours, you don't even know me and you say I don't have humbleness onor compassion. As all of you posting about judging, read what help says about me. I certainly don't have any compassion for an evil cold bloodied murderer, and I never will.You don't know me, so don't come on here indicating that you do.

sliique
sliique 12/03/07 - 11:29 am
Rose, you shoulda been with

Rose, you shoulda been with Jim Jones or David Koresh.

You SURE aren't a christian (I'm not not, either), what with the ridiculous, facetious Posts you continually make.

Donate yet? Betcha didn't, betcha won't.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:31 am
I have compassion for all the

I have compassion for all the victims- the killer's family and friends, police and all emergency workers, the store clerk, all the ones she hurt. But most of all, I think about those innocent kids, and how they suffered at the hands of the one person they loved and trusted more than they did anyone in the whole world. You want me to feel sorry for her? I am just sorry they opened that door before she was able to kill herself.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:36 am
sliigue, I don't kill

sliigue, I don't kill children, but those 2 idots you mentioned did kill children. Michelle should have been there with those 2. She would have fit right in.As far as donating, how much more money do they need? How much did they collect yesterday?

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:40 am
You say I am not a christian.

You say I am not a christian. How do you know? I will sling it back to all of the ones talking about judging. Where is the outrage at the ones saying these things about me? They don't know my heart. And, the relationship I have with God is between me and God, not anyone else. I don't have to answer to you fools for anything because of what I post on here. You speak your minds, so I can too, and I will.

Helpforours
Helpforours 12/03/07 - 11:44 am
I didn't indicate whether I

I didn't indicate whether I knew you or not Rose. I simply asked God to bless you with these virtues. You continually post hatred and it gets old. Seems the only one judging is you. Have a blessed day.

tammiefromflorida
tammiefromflorida 12/03/07 - 11:44 am
Some of you need to get a

Some of you need to get a life! Pray for her and her family.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:49 am
Helpforyours,, sliique said

Helpforyours,, sliique said that in the 10:29 post.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/03/07 - 11:50 am
The headline says Family says

The headline says Family says Mother often spoiled children, then has nothing in the article that backs that up. You might want to define "spoiled" in this case. Other than the murders after what appears to be a psychotic break, all I have been hearing is she was begging for help to provide for them and pleading with everyone to listen and understand that she was overwhelmed and everyone was ignoring her. I'm not saying she either spanked or didn't spank, but not spanking a child doesn't spoil them. And nothing else she did seemed over-indulgent. Biological fathers and/or sperm donors. Wake up. The "it takes a village" concept is flawed on it's own. The best scenario for children is to have a good mother and good father in the family. The village is for those what should be rare times when the family is under duress and one or more parents can't be there for reasons not in their control. It doesn't take a village, it takes RESPONSIBLE PARENTS!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/07 - 11:51 am
Rose, I respect your right to

Rose, I respect your right to an opinion but I find that through your comments you don't appear to have much compassion. You mentioned that the father should of had life insurance on these children. Get real, most parents don't have life insurance on their children, they're barely making ends meet with just everyday living expenses. This is not a perfect world and people are struggling every day. More than likely the father of these two precious children isn't paying child support because he's not working or doesn't care. Where the father is - is not important. Would a few dollars every month really made a difference, probably not. I'm a mother of two boys and I can say I'd never harm a hair on their head but truthfully, we never know what we are capable of, especially where mental illness is concerned. What Ms. Hawes did was unthinkable but none of us are perfect. Condem the sin but not the sinner.

Helpforours
Helpforours 12/03/07 - 11:53 am
Again, have a blessed day

Again, have a blessed day Rose. God will judge us on our actions and the things we say.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:57 am
So you take up for a

So you take up for a murderer.If those 2 kids were your kids or grandkids, you would not take up for the killer.I am not posting hatred. I am posting facts. She did it. She killed them both. Most of you here want to justify what she did. She has no excuse. And because I don't feel the same way you do, then you say all these negative things about me. Don't talk anymore to me about judging. You who take up for her are no better than she is.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 11:59 am
InChristLove, it is hate the

InChristLove, it is hate the sin love the sinner.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 12:00 pm
Criminals are condemmed in a

Criminals are condemmed in a court of law in my country.

Helpforours
Helpforours 12/03/07 - 12:01 pm
The media posted the facts,

The media posted the facts, so we know the obvious. You've posted your opinion a thousand times. We get it. Hope you never need any of us that aren't any better than Ms. Hawes.

lakeya16
lakeya16 12/03/07 - 12:03 pm
My prayers and my heart goes

My prayers and my heart goes out to the family and Ms. Hawes...We cannot judge only GOD can...The only thing that we as a community should be doing is praying and helping someone else so that a tragedy like this will not happen again... How ignorant are we as people to sit around and talk about what we would NEVER do, and start blaming the aunt, grandmom and everyone one else....But let us not 4get the reason why we have not snapped and lost our mind.. its nothing but because of the GRACE and MERCY of GOD let us thank GOD that it was not us or a family member....If you want to start seeing changings with the enemies work stop talking, judging and get down on ur knees ....

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 12:15 pm
You people think my opinions

You people think my opinions are awful, you should hear what my daughter says. She has a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old. She said she has been theough more than most people in her short life, but she never thought about killing her kids. She told me what she would do if she saw that killer walking down a street. Then she would say she snapped and everyone would feel sorry for her and say she had problems. I do know this. If she caught anyone harming her kids, she would snuff them out with her bare hands.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/07 - 12:16 pm
Rose, I know it says hate the

Rose, I know it says hate the sin, love the sinner. That wasn't what I was trying to quote, just saying that even though Ms. Hawes committed a crime and will be tried in a court of law that does not mean we agree with what she did or that we can't have compassion for her. I have no clue if you are a Christian or not but by your comments and attitude you don't appear to be very Christ like. That is not a judgement, just an observation. If you are a true believer of Christ it surprises me that so much hatred and contempt comes out in your comments. I understand your anger but I believe a true Chrisitans can be just as horrified as you with the circumstances but we as followers of Christ must forgive and try to give her the help she so desperately needs. This is not about making excuses or justifying her, it's about trying to understand what went wrong and to help her.

t2007
t2007 12/03/07 - 12:21 pm
Rose get a grip. You are

Rose get a grip. You are right these are people who you feel are judging you, but don't know your heart. I think they are saying the same thing to you about Michelle, you don't know her heart or type of mother she was before now. Oh, by no means is her crime excusable to us as a society. You are angry and I am angry because these kids shouldn't have died, but the GOD I serve will forgive her, if she repent. My concern is not what is coming from this blog or how others feel. My concern is that this doesn't happen again. This is happening too much and too often. Again, we started this year off with the same thing in barrow county with Felecia Williams. My heart still ache from that senseless killing of her children.

buttercup30830
buttercup30830 12/03/07 - 12:22 pm
pray people and don't stop

pray people and don't stop

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/07 - 12:29 pm
That's the problem, no two

That's the problem, no two people are alike. We are all made different. Paise God your daughter is strong willed and would defend her children with her life. All of us would like to think we would do the same thing but in reality, we have a lot of mentally unstable, stressed out to the max, deperate people out there. And we can say all we want, if she couldn't handle the kids, she never should have had them; why didn't she give them up to someone who could take care of them, where was her family in all of this, and blah, blah, blah. Fact is she went off the deep end and took the life of her children. As horrible as that is, God will forgive her but I'm sure she can't forgive herself. Let us not let pride get in the way and boast in ourselves, what we would do or not do. Only by God's Grace and Mercy we are not in the same situation as this young girl. Her and her family need our prayers.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 12:40 pm
I have had nightmares about

I have had nightmares about this crime every night since it happened. I have read all about she had problems till I am sick of hearing it. What about what she did? It is as if nobody cares about those kids.She robbed them of their lives here on earth. I can't have any feelings for her except contempt. Someone a few days ago had the nerve to bring race into it, saying she was another stupid white b.... untill someone told them she is black. Race has nothing to do with it. Those kids were innocent and precious. I am so upset over this that I am going to get off here for most of the day. I have cried till my eyes are swollen.

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 12:43 pm
One more thing. My daught

One more thing. My daught manages to pay for life insurance for her kids. She makes sure if her hsband does not pay it that she does.

EnoughAlready
EnoughAlready 12/03/07 - 12:51 pm
For those of you saying,

For those of you saying, "this woman needs help", let me tell you something... she is showing NO remorse whatsoever in jail for killing her kids. NONE. That's selfish, and sorry. She doesn't deserve anything but to rot in jail. To kill your kids, and to do it in such a gruesome manner.... how dare some of you who are "excusing" her for what she did. God has those precious children now; they are finally safe. As for the mother, only God knows what's in store for her...

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/03/07 - 01:01 pm
Rose, in all due respect, and

Rose, in all due respect, and I care about you, you are not that court of law. Let the law pass the judgment with due process. We can have our opinions, our theories, our questions and our concerns, but we are in no position to judge her. We don't have all the facts, we may never know her motivation. What if someone you loved did the same thing? It is not fathomable to you or me that anyone you or I love could do such a thing. That is the same feeling HER family is having. God forbid anything like this happens again, we need to know how to prevent it. As someone above mentioned, a Felicia Williams allegedly did this also. Apparently we haven't learned what we need to know to prevent this aberration. You have a big heart and a strong moral conscience. I hope you will forgive anyone that has hurt your feelings on this column. It's impossible to convey who you truly are in these posts, but by and large your posts show that you are a caring person, so I don't think others should be negative about you or judge you. I hope the nightmares go away, I've been waking up with them, too. It happened right around the corner from me. I saw the balloons and bears there today.

thugskin
thugskin 12/03/07 - 01:08 pm
Kids not needing a father are

Kids not needing a father are words from a lesbians mouth. An unclean spirit. Children need good fathers not gangstas!!!