Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 07:27 pm
jaschild, did he say ALL

jaschild, did he say ALL women? No

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 07:33 pm
As far as hormone changes, I

As far as hormone changes, I know first hand what that is all about, but I never thought about killing my kids. Never.

Chains
Chains 12/02/07 - 08:31 pm
This is exactly why you

This is exactly why you shouldn't have children out of wedlock. Where was the father(s) of these children while she was going through all of this stuff that lead to this. Probably in jail, dead, or didn't give a care.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 08:31 pm
Ok, ok, the bottom line is

Ok, ok, the bottom line is there are two dead youngans. Youngans kill by the hand of someone that was suposed to protect them. Maybe this young lady thought she was protedting them because I know I wouldn't want to bring any more youngans into this screwed up world. Sorry t2007 that I'm getting on your nerves but looka here I agree with you someone needs to talk to Jeannette Michelle Hawes and find out what was going on to make her do such an horrific deed and hopfully help keep this from happening again. But, but, but I am still in utter mass confustion over this because I don't care how bad it gets you can kill yourself and maybe take out some of the undesirables in the world but,why take out you very own youngans????? Just help me, help me understand it....???

suwashi
suwashi 12/02/07 - 08:43 pm
It is sad that every one has

It is sad that every one has something to say. Some positive and some negative. I feel so sorry that this happened. I blame the mother and part of the friends and family that she was trying to reach out too. The warning signs were there. She didnt want her children to be with anyone but her. Maybe if you get the whole story of what she went thru you might be able to understand that she felt like she had no one. Maybe she wanted to take her life as well as the kids to see them suffer with a unstable family enviroment. That doesnt excuse the fact on what she has done. It was terrible, but if them officers wouldnt had broken in, she wuold be dead along with the babies. And why isnt any one down talking the clerk of the store. If you knew her so well Ms. Amanda why didnt you get the key and unlock that door when you heard one child scream. You could have saven one of the childrens life by just opening that door. Its a very horrible situation and i know her and her family, yes she and her sisters have been thu so much, and she will suffer. Every time she closes her eyes and see her kids cryn and screamin she will be in torment the rest of her life unless GOD will take her from that.

jaschild
jaschild 12/02/07 - 09:10 pm
if you say let the judge

if you say let the judge decide, how do you in fact have such harsh 'opinions' already?? i'm glad you aren't sitting on the jury for this one with your preconceived punishments for this woman.

DaveMustaineRules
DaveMustaineRules 12/02/07 - 09:12 pm
If she is pregnant, then

If she is pregnant, then execute her after the child is born. Regardless of whether she knowlingly did this or truly had a psychotic break, she is a broken person that needs to be deleted from society.

My god - this and Baby Grace.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/02/07 - 09:20 pm
I do take back part of what I

I do take back part of what I said, it just really gets to me when practically all men get lumped up into the same category, just like race. What young women need to learn is what a responsible man is. Unfortunatly they like what they see on T.V. We have glorified Pimpin, big Ballin, flossin...you name it, at the same time degrading women. For as long as I can remember it is the assholes that women love, and the ones flashin the material things. (Trying not to stereotype, so I won't elaborate) It's just sad. Both men and women should be held responsible for the child, but the bottom line is, it is her body. She should be careful and selective about who she opens it up to. It is very hard to make a man take responsibility if he don't want to, but women you have no choice. However, if the mother keeps sorry [filtered word] men around, what type of men do you think your daughter will lay with? I wish somehow we could revert back to the days where women covered their bodies and hid their ankles etc. They may develope a self esteem, but today's society most of us are judged by our looks and sexuality we project. I'm done I'm gonna go put my son to bed. Have a great week Augusta!

dhts
dhts 12/02/07 - 09:27 pm
This article says that she

This article says that she never spanked her children, well she was in a friends of mines office the other day conduc ting business and took her little girl into the bathroom and spanked her and came back out, so that is NOT a TRUE statement!

sharonh82
sharonh82 12/02/07 - 09:31 pm
I have a mental illness and I

I have a mental illness and I went for years without being treated because of shame. I lost everything cause of the mental illness. Now that I am getting treatment for it I have gained everything back plus more. The hardest thing for someone with a mental illness is to admit that you have one and to get treatment for it. Luckily i have insurance now my meds would cost us over 1,000.00 a month. There is help out there and the family needs to get some help too in dealing with this

SOUTHERNPRIDE2110
SOUTHERNPRIDE2110 12/02/07 - 09:42 pm
i think the kids should be

i think the kids should be buried together i feel so sorry for the family my heart goes out to the grandparents

mcdaniem
mcdaniem 12/02/07 - 10:11 pm
I could not sleep the night

I could not sleep the night of this tradgic. I am so sorry this happen, I think this young lady did snap and that can happen. If you listen to the interview about her little brother,s dog being stab to death she did have simpathy for life. I don't know what went wrong so quick but it happen. Let's pray for her and the family, and let Our GOD do the rest. Stop judging, the Children are in Heaven. If God be for us who can be against us.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 10:37 pm
Yes I have harsh opinions of

Yes I have harsh opinions of that murderer. So what if I say she should suffer for what she did. I don't care what happens to her. I really don't. I do feel for all the victims, including her family. Of course I have harsh opinions, but wasn't she harsh when she stabbed those kids, and they cried out in pain? What was that all about? You think she thought she was having a party? She was taking the lives of 2 precious innocent children, and she should suffer for what she did.

What a Day
What a Day 12/02/07 - 10:54 pm
Rose, December 2, and Crazy

Rose, December 2, and Crazy old man, you three are the worst piece of trash I ever encountered. How could you place judgement on someone when you don't know them? Look at these precious little babies and all you can do is sit and ask stupid questions like where is the father and make stupid statements like she spoiled the children, that's the problem. The problem is people like you. This family is torn for the rest of their lives and all you can do is sit and judge someone else. Did you even go to church today and pray for this family? God has the final judgement on your lives. Will it be one that tried to help others or will it always be that of contempt and complaining? What are you going to do to try and help this family with the funeral? I will be at Georgia Bank and Trust tomorrow and do my best to assist them. Hell, God might even lay it upon my heart to pay the entire cost. Whatever it may be, I'm going to do my best to help this family. What about you?

Moma3
Moma3 12/02/07 - 11:30 pm
ll

ll

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 11:37 pm
Whatever I give, I don't feel

Whatever I give, I don't feel I need to broadcast it to the world.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 11:41 pm
Another thing. I can pray

Another thing. I can pray anywhere I want to. I don't have to pray and put on a show. Godl istens, and he is crying because of what happened to those kids. I don't have to know her nor the family. The monster has hurt her family and took the lives of 2 precious kids. They are the victims in this. The killer is not a victim. She chose murder.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 11:45 pm
Again, what does the word

Again, what does the word judge have to do with any of this? Facts are she chose to kill those innocent kids. She did it. The word is facts, not judge.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 11:49 pm
Yes I asked where is the

Yes I asked where is the father, because he should take some kind of responsibility. Was he paying child support, or was he a deadbeat dad? I know a few responsible dads, and I know a few deadbeat dads. I am curious as to which he is.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 11:51 pm
He should have had life

He should have had life insurance on those kids. he should have to be made to pay something.

NanaJudi
NanaJudi 12/02/07 - 11:56 pm
What's wrong with you people?

What's wrong with you people? The children are at peace with the Lord, regardless of how they got there. What about a young mother that was so stresses out that she felt that was the only way out? Where is your compassion for her? I pray for her peace,and hope that she has repented. The world may not forgive, but Jesus loves you and does forgive.
atruechristian

Rose
Rose 12/03/07 - 12:17 am
That is between her and God

That is between her and God if she asks for forgiveness from him. She still has to pay for what she did.

jollydollar
jollydollar 12/03/07 - 12:44 am
I am a stepmother to 4

I am a stepmother to 4 children & I CANNOT under ANY circumstances understand how a MOTHER would do THIS to her OWN children ---- I have no "birth children" but I do have babies that depend on me to do what is right by them, something Jordan & Shakayla trusted their mother to do for them, I trust God is teaching them to understand humans have faults and He is the only ONE that will love and cherish them UNCONDITIONALLY!!! I pray for the family & feel I should do something more......

jollydollar
jollydollar 12/03/07 - 01:06 am
I have to deal with an

I have to deal with an "UNWORTHY" mother of my step-children & all I can say is THANK GOD my step-children have a strong, God loving, rules unstilled FATHER in their lives that teaches them that NO MATTER WHAT - GOD LOVES YOU & WILL ALWAYS CHERISH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I pray that when they hear about this TRAGEDY they KNOW that Jordan & Shakayla are with God and he has taken them to a safer place.....

jollydollar
jollydollar 12/03/07 - 01:09 am
SUCH BEAUTIFUL ANGELS!!!!!!!

SUCH BEAUTIFUL ANGELS!!!!!!! I sleep better tonight thinking of them SAFE IN HEAVEN with OUR SAVIOR!!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!

godhelpusnow
godhelpusnow 12/03/07 - 09:33 am
"Tired" and

"Tired" and "Buttercup30830"....well said. May God bless you for the compassion and wisdom shown in your comments. Time has passed for us to continue judging. This is a wake up call for us to 'WAKE - UP'!!!!!. Tis the season for us to look out for others and not just ourselves.
Peace

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 12/03/07 - 10:22 am
"We should wait to find out

"We should wait to find out what was going on with the mother." It doesn't matter that she was mentally ill, she killed her babies.She had the presence of mind to get a knife, walk to the store, go into the bathroom and murder her kids. What else do we need to know. Too often people are considered crazy when they commit a crime like this. "She's their mother, there had to be something wrong for her to do something this horrible." She could have just been mean as hell. She lost her job! So what people lose their jobs everyday. Doesn't make them killers. There's only one person guilty of this crime and may she burn in the eternal fires of hell!

Megan2008
Megan2008 12/03/07 - 10:38 am
My thoughts and prayers are

My thoughts and prayers are with the family! God bless the family!

t2007
t2007 12/03/07 - 10:56 am
I am definitely feeling you

I am definitely feeling you on your post at 7:30. I don't understand it either and my heart is broken because of this. What could have been so bad that she killed her kids, why didn't she kill herself. Better yet, why didn't she follow her own advice in reference to the lady stabbing her brother's dog on the 26th and get some help.

I have been following this story like a maniac because I need to know what made her snap. I need to know what made the girl in Jan snap that killed her kids. I love my two daughters with all my heart and they drive me bananas sometimes, but I can't fathom delibrately causing them hurt.

Kudos to you Double D, but everybody was not made to be parents and sometimes its better if the nonfunctional parent is not there. Also you are right, men don't kill the children, they kill the women. I am the product of a single mother and I have it going on with maintaining a career and the family. I am very thankful my dad was not around because I don't think I would be as productive.

Rose, please look of the definition of "judge" in its entirety beyond the judicial part, but those of us with strong opinions doesn't see it as judging.

kayelynn
kayelynn 12/03/07 - 11:02 am
I have sat here and read all

I have sat here and read all these comments and can not believe the things that i am reading. Poor mother was struggling to take care of her kids..blah blah.. If you can't take care of them, then don't have them. The health dept. gives out birthcontrol everyday. I am a expecting mother and i went through hell to be able to have my angel. There is nothing and i will repeat myself NOTHING in this world that would make me KILL my children!! If you feel like you have to kill someone.. kill yourself.. not your children or anyone else in that matter. I do pray for the family that lost these little angels, and pray that the mother does get some mental help. But i also agree with the person that said that she should get the death penalty!!