Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 02:44 pm
twila, I am against abortion,

twila, I am against abortion, unless it comes down to saving the child or the mother. Then it is the mother's choice of which to save. If she is pregnant, She should carry the baby full term, then it should be put up for adoption when it is born. She should never be allowed to touch it.

Fine Fine Fine
Fine Fine Fine 12/02/07 - 02:50 pm
crazy old man, where is your

crazy old man, where is your daddy??? Are you sure he is your daddy???? Shut up and find something to do!!!!!!

havery
havery 12/02/07 - 02:51 pm
My Heart really goes out to

of a murdered child *(in fact;
especailly around the
Holidays ...... May God's Grace
sustain them at this most
difficult and trying time. If you
are a friend or associate of this
family; they need your
love ,support,thoughts,and
prayers right now ! Even if you
don't know this Family; Feel
deep in your Heart and make
a Love offering by way of a
donation to help them through
this with the Funeral
expenses. This is needed and
will be greatly appreciated in
Memory of these precious
Babies. I'am praying that God
blesses this family through
their plight and tragedy;

(Henrietta Cooper Law Avery)

Hephzibah, Ga.

Fine Fine Fine
Fine Fine Fine 12/02/07 - 03:01 pm
I agree! december 2nd needs

I agree! december 2nd needs to SHUT UP!!!! I know that you r not perfect!!!! How many times have you or you children had sex unmarried? I bet they don't tell you that!!

havery
havery 12/02/07 - 03:05 pm
My Heart really goes out to

My Heart really goes out to this family in their time of loss and Grief.

May God's Grace sustain them at this most difficult and trying time.
of a donation to help them through this with the Funeral expenses.

I'am praying that God blesses this family through their plight and tragedy;
( Henrietta Cooper Law Avery) Hephzibah, Ga.

philomena62
philomena62 12/02/07 - 03:09 pm
It's so sad that two young

It's so sad that two young lives are gone. When family/friends noticed a difference in Jeanette's behavior, knowing her personal situation with work and the children's father(s), they should have stepped in and taken the kids off her hands for a little vacation. If she was adamant about refusing this offer they could have always called DFCS/social services. It would be better to have had them involved than to turn a blind eye. Jeanette may have to live with her actions, but so do the family and friends that balked of the idea of getting involved, and NEITHER consequence brings either of those two babies back to this earth. If you'll notice, almost every story like this in this country, someone claims he noticed the mother/father acting differently, etc...and every story is a tragic news story.

havery
havery 12/02/07 - 03:12 pm
My Heart really goes out to

( Henrietta Cooper Law Avery)
Hephzibah, Ga

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 03:20 pm
Well darn, he's out making

Well darn, he's out making more babies with more single moms. He has no job, no benefits, no ambition and no education.....just lots of time on his hands to make babies that you and I are forced to take care of. Darn it, darn it, darn it, why didn't she kill him?

nextstep
nextstep 12/02/07 - 03:25 pm
one more time! People just

one more time! People just stop and take a look at your sick comments! Where is the daddy, what the aunt did or didn't do, what the mother did or didn't do! Bottom line we have two kids who have been killed. Nothing we do or say will bring them back! We can't second guest why anyone did what they did. Nothing like this has every happen in our city! We need to pray for healing of all the people involved is this tragic event. We need to pray for the police who went in the bathroom, the store clerk and manger, the first responders and pray, pray, pray for Mr. Mays. He has the hardest job of them all. We all have been touched by this tragic event. No need to point anymore fingers at anyone. It's now time for us all to start the healing process and count your blessings.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 03:28 pm
Yeah, that's the thing to do.

Yeah, that's the thing to do. Abort the child. Might as well kill another one.

t2007
t2007 12/02/07 - 03:36 pm
You know people amaze me, we

You know people amaze me, we are so quick to judge and offer our greater than thou attitudes of what we would not do. Yes, we know Michelle is guilty! Yes, we know she murdered her kids. Yes, we no she shouldn't have done this. But what we don't know is why. As a mother of two precious daughters, I don't understand this horrible and senseless killing, I pray each day that nothing cause me the insanity that this girl had to kill her kids. Nothing makes me more upset than someone hurting a child. However, it does not sound like Michelle was a monster or mistreating her kids the way someone people have said in this blog. It sounds like this was a girl ran into a situation that apparently she felt she could not deal with and may have snapped and killed her kids. By no means, I am not making excusing for her, but I couldn't and don't want imagine the hell she is going to go through mentally once she comes back to reality. I sit and stair at her picture and wonder what maddness she had going on and snapped in such a way. This same girl was on the news on November 26th talking about the woman that stabbed and killed her brother's dog. That was not a monster on the news. (part 1)

t2007
t2007 12/02/07 - 03:39 pm
(part 2) Instead of judging

(part 2) Instead of judging and damning this girl. We need to pray for her, her family, and figure out away to keep kids safe when they are a part of good families. Did she feel pressured because she lost her job and christmas was coming up? Did she feel her life was over because she had kids? did she feel alone? What was she feeling that she felt murder would be the answer? Was this a person that love her kids and would give them the world and snapped? Was she asking for help and her family wouldn't help her? Was she asking for help from society and we wouldn't help her (job, welfare, employers, etc)? My heart aches for this girl, the children, and the family?

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 03:40 pm
Why should not matter. she

Why should not matter. she killed them. Period.

havery
havery 12/02/07 - 03:43 pm
My Heart really goes out to

My Heart really goes out to this family in their time of loss and Grief. I grew up and went to school with most of the Williams family *(on Turpin Hill); the Great Aunts and Uncles of these two precious children. I'am also the Mother of a murdered child *(in fact; he was my only child); It has been 10 years and my heart still aches and bleeds; especailly around the Holidays ...... May God's Grace sustain them at this most difficult and trying time. If you are a friend or associate of this family; they need your love ,support,thoughts,and prayers right now ! Even if you don't know this Family;Feel deep in your Heart and make a Love offering by way of a donation to help them through this with the Funeral expenses. This is needed and will be greatly appreciated in Memory of these precious Babies. I'am praying that God blesses this family through their plight and tragedy; ( Henrietta Cooper Law Avery) Hephzibah, Ga

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 03:43 pm
Stating that she is a low

Stating that she is a low down hateful murderer is stating facts. Leave judge out of it till court.

t2007
t2007 12/02/07 - 03:46 pm
Part 3: We started off the

Part 3:

We started off the year with the mother in barrow county stabbing her two kids and here it is again. Something is making these young girls snap. Maybe having kids at an early age, not have support, and feeling they are loosing out because of the kids. Someone in an earlier post mentioned about turning our hatred into some motivation. I am motivated because I don't want this to happen to another child. I want to talk to Michelle and find out what happened so I can identify this in some other mother that is feeling pressured. I am wondering if she was planning on killing herself, why did she go to the store, why didn't she do it at home, or in private, why, why, why. This is insanity, has to be. Like I said before, she will probably go through hell once she accepts what she has done.... We need to pray for these kids. And as far as the crazy old man comments, enough said with the name title.

BakersfieldCityLimits
BakersfieldCityLimits 12/02/07 - 03:52 pm
Eula, you tell em. Kids

Eula, you tell em. Kids don't need a father, studies have proven that its best for kids to have no father present. It also might make your kids competative as to which of the three bay dadies is the " best " See you in the wic line. Peace out.

Jillian
Jillian 12/02/07 - 04:00 pm
i have no sympathy for a

i have no sympathy for a person who can kill 2 innocent babies in cold blood. There is NOTHING anyone can say to explain any situation that would give cause to that sort of choice. She chose to carry that knife in the bathroom and brutally murder those sweet precious children.

I agree with others, the Dad should have been in that picture, anyone who says a Dad isn't needed is wrong.

nextstep
nextstep 12/02/07 - 04:01 pm
One more time! Stop worrying

One more time! Stop worrying about where the daddy or daddies are. What the aunt, mother. sister or uncle should have done. It's not important at this point. Nothing like this has ever happend in our wonderful city and we should be looking for ways to ensure this never happend again. We should be praying for this family, the store clerk, the police, 1st responders who all had to deal with the situation. This event will be with them for the rest of their lives. They will always remember that sad day. We should be praying as a city for Mr. Mays he has a difficult job ahead of him. So can we all stop the hate post and start the healing process for the community as a whole. Because we all have been touched or know someone who has been touched by this tragic situation. Take time to look at our our own family and count our blessings because anyone of us could be sitting in this family situation. Will others take the time tonight to pray for the family and all the people who have to deal with this situation? Is there one willing to pray instead of bashing this family? Is there one who will pray with me?

t2007
t2007 12/02/07 - 04:01 pm
Why does matter to me because

Why does matter to me because we keep such a good eye on families in the system. What about families that are not (that appear to be sane). What about Susan Smith, the lady that drowned her kids, the girl that killed her children in north georgia at the beginning of the year. Why does matter to me because I want to know what I need to look for with other girls that may be struggling and we are unaware until a tradegy happens. I am sure she will get justice and then some and I don't really think that matters. I hope she will get the psychiatric help she needs.

dani
dani 12/02/07 - 04:12 pm
Abortion has nothing to do

Abortion has nothing to do with the subject of her pregnancy. The problem is having sex without marriage. An don't start about 'everybody does it', everyone shouldn't. Can't these girls live without sex? Nextstep..Who are we praying for? It's a little late to pray for the children, it won't help the mother, and if she has a family why haven't we heard? Did she have parents? It sounds like she has a large family, I see Great Aunts, Uncle, etc. so perhaps they don't need a "love"offering.

dani
dani 12/02/07 - 04:14 pm
2007...Susan Smith murdered

2007...Susan Smith murdered her children because they were in her way. Her 'boyfriend" didn't want them and she made a choice. An actual case of 'the devil made her do it'.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 05:12 pm
Children do need a dad, or at

Children do need a dad, or at least a father figure. There are a lot of deadbeat dads out there. My son is a dad to 4 kids, and if it were not for him, those kids would be in bad shape. He not only pays high child support, but does more than ordered by the court,because he loves his kids. So don't say kids don't need a father.

robob
robob 12/02/07 - 05:12 pm
If my people who are called

If my people who are called by my name would humble themselves and pray. If they would turn from their sins and seek my face then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and heal their land

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/02/07 - 05:30 pm
Again where is the father?

Again where is the father? I'm tired of hearing about the father and the struggle single mothers are going through. I am a single father raising a child who's black mother left him. I cannot even count on my hands how many fathers are raising children on their own right now, and we are on the rise. How many more women would give up their children if they had a man who wanted the children? I am also willing to bet we are doing a better job at it, while balancing work and family. At least we don't claim that sittin on our rears all day is a full time job! I have done both for five years and now I'm finally married to a woman who appreciates me and knows, I want to be with her, but I don't NEED to be with her. Us men won't kill our children under stress or post pardom either. Double D...OUT!

jaschild
jaschild 12/02/07 - 05:33 pm
can we pleeez get these young

can we pleeez get these young women birth control??? it doesn't matter now what happened before. two young children are dead and we need to look ahead to prevent this from happening again. Please everyone, take the time to look around and observe especially during the upcoming holidays where families are more stressed than usual and become desperate.

jaschild
jaschild 12/02/07 - 06:12 pm
no double d, you men usually

no double d, you men usually kill your children out of spite to get back at the mother. i'm not going to sit here and bicker with you on who might be better at handling stress. you cannot imagine or know the hormonal changes that women go through.
but i do commend you on being an active father - kudos to all fathers that care for their children. i have two friends with deadbeat fathers who they were married to, but are doing better off without them. they are fully self sufficient and do not withhold their children from seeing their father although the fathers do nothing to contribute to their bare necessities.

jaschild
jaschild 12/02/07 - 06:14 pm
double d - and another thing,

double d - and another thing, perhaps you haven't noticed but men don't go through post partum syndrome. don't forget about the mothers who have worked two jobs, attended night school all the while putting their children through school and making their best attempts at keeping them off the street. how dare you judge anyone!

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 06:23 pm
there we go with that word

there we go with that word again. Judge. Stating our opinion is not judging. A judge belongs in a courtroom.

jaschild
jaschild 12/02/07 - 06:25 pm
rose, if you like being

rose, if you like being lumped in with the women double d is speaking of - that's your choice. and this is my opinion.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.