Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

buttercup30830
buttercup30830 12/02/07 - 11:21 am
Now would be a great time for

Now would be a great time for people to stop judging and come together as one. Let's get involved in the lives of other kids that we may "suspect" could end up just like these two kids. I was pretty close to this point about 5 years ago. Thank God my mom and brother stepped in. Now, I can look back and cry and pray for Michelle; not because she's a "monster", but because she's a "mother under stress". I don't know why it happens, but it does. People, stop being so judgemental; offer help. Just having someone to encourage you and talk to you from time to time can actually make a difference between life and death, literally. It gave me a whole new outlook in life. Clearly, she "snapped". No sane person can do what she did. She's ill. Peace, love, and Unity.

Ms. Opinionated
Ms. Opinionated 12/02/07 - 11:37 am
Please pray for the souls of

Please pray for the souls of these poor children, and for other children who may be abused or neglected. Please also pray for the mother and other mothers who need assistance or strength, that they may find the help that they need. And finally, please pray for the police officers, EMT's, and workers at the gas station, that they can get counseling if need be for what they witnessed. While none of us can even begin to understand, and I personally am disgusted, I cannot know what this mother was thinking. I pray only that the family has the strength that they need to make it through this tragedy, and that the children are in heaven, where they cannot be hurt again.

groovin
groovin 12/02/07 - 11:50 am
She spoiled them so much that

She spoiled them so much that she took their lives in a bathroom at a convienience store. I've never spoiled my children like that.

walkedit
walkedit 12/02/07 - 11:51 am
It is a pathetic situation.

It is a pathetic situation. The children did not deserve this. So many times society turns their heads to avoid conflict. I have put off reporting a case to DFACs for a long time because of not upsetting the family. I will make the call now!

DesireChange
DesireChange 12/02/07 - 12:02 pm
Everyone has stated their

Everyone has stated their opinion of Ms. Hawes and her family, but that will not bring the lives of those babies back. We should take our anger and disgust with this situation and use it for good. It starts with taking the time to instill values in our young people. The old saying “It takes a village to raise a child” is still true today. Most of us are guilty of “minding our own business”, but we should stand up and make a difference. We gossip about what we think is going on next door, but few of us care enough to find out if our neighbors have food, water, heat, medication, and love. Most of us are preparing for church, as I type this, but is the Lord really in our hearts? If He is alive to us we would be making sure our neighbors have what they need to sustain a healthy life. During the holidays many give money to charity, what about our time and love. There are many things we can share with our neighbors that far exceed any amount of money we give. We failed the two Hawes babies, but as a community we can prevent this from happening again. We have elections soon, a fine opportunity to elect someone who will help the community. Does your candidate actively participate in community efforts to help less fortunate citizens or does he only involve himself in efforts that he can receive accolades. Does your candidate mentor young adults or does he only accept paying gigs? We can’t stop these types of meltdowns if we are only concerned about the ourselves. Do you truly love your neighbor?

Maria2008
Maria2008 12/02/07 - 12:15 pm
Her family must had known

Her family must had known that this young woman was in deep despair! No Help was available from them that is more than sad!! Now it is too late!! This young mother needed Help.She was mentally ill ,hopless ,very much troubled.Depression especially Manic Depression are a very devasting Illness.Without the proper Help and Treatment you are lost,totally lost to the point that tragety can happen! This tragety could have been preventet! We must keep our eyes and ears open to our next neighbor, family and friend! Not everybody ask for help,maybe they are too afraid to so.We will never know why.It was horrifiv what this young mother did.Believe me she will never be the same. She will get punished for the crime she did.But she also need the help she so badly need and especially our prayers.To judge this young woman is wrong !We are not God ! We need to pray for this young woman and for the family.Her children are in heaven now with God. Nomore suffering for them.Yes their life was taking by their own mother but only God knows the whole story and why this young mother did what she did and only He is allowed to judge!

regency
regency 12/02/07 - 12:21 pm
God take care of fools, and

God take care of fools, and Babies. The kids are okay!!!!!!!!

WF
WF 12/02/07 - 12:31 pm
I agree with Tired. Let's get

I agree with Tired. Let's get engaged instead of disengaged. Everyone is a loser in this situation!

WAG
WAG 12/02/07 - 12:40 pm
Again where is the

Again where is the father??????

L_M
L_M 12/02/07 - 01:00 pm
My heart and prayers go out

My heart and prayers go out to the family. There are so many young parents today that really need encouragement and guides. But the only way this guides is going to come by know who the Savior is. With out Him we have nothing. In stead of putting the blame, God is telling American people to reach out and help, before another tragedy happens again. Christians and Preacher we are the blame. Why are we not out on the corner on a daily basis? Going under the trees in the drug holes, but yet we are point the finger. Afraid some one will see us. God knows when we are sinning behind closed doors, but yet Jesus sat among the sinners, not in the churches. Giving free money is not always the answer. Let’s get a circle soon and get this city back into the hands of God, let the devil know enough is enough and put him under our feet, because he is trying to take out too many of our young babies, let along our young youth who does have a purpose for this country. God Bless

eula.white
eula.white 12/02/07 - 01:06 pm
everyone's asking where is

everyone's asking where is the father. woman don't need a man in their life at all times to raise a child. i'm a single parent of three and 25 years old, and i don't care about a man or sperm donor whatever you wanna call him. no man can do anything in this situation. the only man who can do anything is the one who bears all of our sins, GOD. furthermore, people need to stop chestizing this young lady. she is suffering more right now than she will with a 25 to life sentence.

tagerton
tagerton 12/02/07 - 01:23 pm
There is no telling what that

There is no telling what that mother went through in her lifetime, she did not know how to cope with anything, no one to guide or direct her. Her mind was probably constantly going on what to do with herself. Eventually, she became crazy or possessed. It's sad! Where is these kids father?

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 01:34 pm
I don't give a hoot what that

I don't give a hoot what that murderer was going through. I don't care. She killed her kids. What don't you people understand? Do you really think all killers had problems so they should be pampered and turned loose to do the same thing again? What about the victims? You people care more about a cold bloodied killer than you do with all the victims in this case. Pitiful!

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 01:39 pm
If I had been there and had

If I had been there and had seen that monster when they took her out, someone would have had to hold me back from her. Those precious innocent kids! I hope she does not make it to trial.

elizabeth61
elizabeth61 12/02/07 - 01:47 pm
I am a school bus driver. I,

I am a school bus driver. I, too, saw Ms. Hawes and her precious children walking beside Lumpkin Rd. on Thursday morning. It wasn't what she did while standing beside the road, it was the way she did it. Something about the mother's behavior, the way she was looking toward the road, seemed odd to me, but, I did not know at the time what it was. Sad to say, now I do. It was like she was looking for someone to help her.
I was driving my personal vehicle, and if I had known that she needed help, I would have stopped.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 01:50 pm
I also would like to know

I also would like to know where's the fathers? Can someone please tell us where the fathers are and why can't the fathers pay for the funerals?

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 01:51 pm
Where is her babbies daddies?

Where is her babbies daddies?

DA
DA 12/02/07 - 01:58 pm
I will tell you where the dad

I will tell you where the dad is....out making more babies with more single moms. He has no job, no benefits, no ambition and no education.....just lots of time on his hands to make babies that the government is forced to take care of.

twilahzone
twilahzone 12/02/07 - 02:09 pm
Just because most women are

Just because most women are capable of having children, does not mean they have natural maternal instincts. I don't know about any of you, but I can name several women who should have NEVER had children--does not matter whether they are black or white--or rich or poor. Or whether the father was involved or not. Most raised their kids and got them out of the way because they felt they did not have any other choice--and you can see the results of the mental states of their offspring (drunks, druggies, habitual jailbirds, etc.). These women invested in the wrong partners to have kids with--or vice versa. When I first heard the story--I was shocked just like everyone else--how could someone do that to their kids? We cannot judge what stress can do to an individual person. It affects different people in different ways. Am I saying Michelle was justified for doing what she was doing? No. But the young lady clearly needed some professional and spiritual guidance before it came to all of this.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 02:20 pm
I also would like to know

I also would like to know where the daddys are. I read it was 2 daddys.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 02:24 pm
I know that single women can

I know that single women can raise kids and do a good job, but those kids each had 2 parents. One killed them. where is the other? The father or fathers need to take on responsibility and empty their pockets.

dani
dani 12/02/07 - 02:30 pm
There is a father someplace.

There is a father someplace. Surely she was getting child support from the father (s) or either the state.
We ALL know that she lives,,,the lives of the children have ended. Chances are... She will plead mental problems and be back having more babies with no fathers in a few months.

God help her

georgia girl1
georgia girl1 12/02/07 - 02:38 pm
Please stop the mudslinging

Please stop the mudslinging among one another. This is the most unbelieveable thing I have ever encountered - and it's happened right here - not in some other state. The eerie thing is even the clerk in the store knew she seemed strange, but NO ONE could have guessed what she was about to do. Ms. Hawes mental and emotional state is one I cannot fathom - and for that matter I do not want to, but we DO need to pray for the children. And yes, we need to pray for her as well. If for no other reason, so that we can learn what haoppened to her to cause her to lose it like she did. Only knowing the cause can help us to learn to recognize and identify behavior on the brink ... and hopefully prevent this from ever happening again - to anyone. May God Bless these children, the family, and our whole community.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 02:46 pm
I don't need to learn what

I don't need to learn what made her kill her kids. I already know. She hated her kids. She did not love them one little bit. Otherwise, she would not have harmed them.

tdavis439
tdavis439 12/02/07 - 02:48 pm
ms. helen block adams, local

ms. helen block adams, local businesses, fatherhood and motherhood, of all church and richmond plice and community.!!! (please let's talk opportunity with the fortunate citizens to receive the children of richmond in richmond to finally have help and surport silution with " dfac's") /with family,friend,neighbor.

SAYIT AINTSO
SAYIT AINTSO 12/02/07 - 02:51 pm
This whole thing is

This whole thing is sickening. It's too late to say "if I'd have known, I would have done something!" It also doesn't matter why she did it. She killed her precious angels that God entrusted her with. They are gone, she did it, end of story. Her reasoning will never justify or excuse what she did. All we, as a community, can do is give justice to the children and ensure that she pays, however the system (although flawed) deems necessary. The thing to remember, is that God is the only judge that will matter in the end. The children are in God's hands now, and hopefully we all can find a way to learn from this tragedy.

dani
dani 12/02/07 - 02:51 pm
Can somebody tell me why

Can somebody tell me why someone is collecting money for a memorial? I have heard of donations for children who lost their parents, but this I don't understand. Who gets the money? What will happen to it? It can't be all funeral bills, they will be minor...I don't think the local funeral homes will charge them full price if anything. Anybody know?

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 03:18 pm
I just watched a video on NBS

I just watched a video on NBS Augusta, and they said that the killer told family members that she is pregnant again.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 03:19 pm
nbc

nbc

twilahzone
twilahzone 12/02/07 - 03:27 pm
Rose, if the allegations are

Rose, if the allegations are true about Ms. Hawes being pregnant again---what a tragic situation for her and the unborn child. I can almost hear the comments coming--should she be forced to abort the child? Should she be able to carry the child to term in her current state of mind? I would like to hear the comments from the very religious-minded folks on the solution. Not that I am against religion (we are in the Bible Belt) --but it would be quite interesting to hear the answers.

Augusta-Liberia ties date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...