Family says mother often spoiled children

A spokeswoman for the family of Jeannette Michelle Hawes said Saturday they have no idea why Ms. Hawes might have "snapped," calling her a mother who was known for spoiling her children.

Jeannette Michelle Hawes is pictured with her children, Jordon (left), 1, and Shakayla, 3. The two children were killed Thursday.  Special
Special

"Michelle loved her kids," spokeswoman Latoria Bussey said. "She didn't even spank them ... They (the children) were happy."

Two days after the stabbing deaths of Jordon Hawes, 1, and Shakayla Hawes 3, Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Glen Rahn said his department had not made much more headway in the case.

On Thursday, Ms. Hawes was charged with two counts of murder and possession of a knife during the commission of a crime in the stabbing deaths of Jordon and Shakayla.

Officials say she stabbed her children with a steak knife multiple times in the bathroom of a gas station on Lumpkin Road on Thursday afternoon. Investigators say the reason for the killings might never be known.

Ms. Hawes, who was no longer working as a temporary clerk at a post office processing and distribution center on Eighth Street, had been acting strangely and had been reported missing by family, police said.

On Saturday, radio talk show host Helen Blocker-Adams said WNNR-AM and Georgia Bank and Trust are working together to set up a memorial fund for Shakayla and Jordon.

"These two children didn't have any life insurance, and the family would need money to bury them in a decent way," she said.

Ms. Blocker-Adams said the fund will be operational starting Monday afternoon and will go toward the burial expenses. Anyone wanting to make a donation can do so at any Georgia Bank and Trust branch office.

Ms. Bussey said the funeral for Jordon and Shakayla will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com

GNicole
GNicole 12/02/07 - 03:22 am
I, for one, feel very sorry

I, for one, feel very sorry for the kids and Ms. Hawes. If she had been behaving differently lately, then there has to be a deeper issue than we can see on the outside. I wish her true justice in a society who denounces guilt before giving people a chance to prove otherwise. I feel even sorrier for her children because they did not have a chance to live and get to know their mother. I wish everyone involved the very best and my condolences go out to the family.

mrgitpaid
mrgitpaid 12/02/07 - 04:41 am
How could anyone do this to a

How could anyone do this to a child? This is so disturbing and bizarre at the same time. The children were adorable. I wouldve taken them in myself.

melmos
melmos 12/02/07 - 04:54 am
My heart absolutely aches for

My heart absolutely aches for this family. These inocent angels taken away from this world in such a way that no one on this earth will ever understand. A mother of 2 children myself can not begin to understand how a mother could do this. I hope that she remembers what she did and it haunts her for the rest of her life. God bless these children and the family. My heart hurts for you all.

unknown35
unknown35 12/02/07 - 05:26 am
My heart dropped when I

My heart dropped when I finally saw the picture of the two angels who lives were taken in such a horrible way. I can't begin to imagine the pain that these children went through, though it may only have been for a very short time. All I could say to myself was "My God, what has this child done". No one will never know what was going through this mother's mind or what state of mind she was in at the time. I have read several comments about this mother having a hard time, being on drugs, mentally ill, etc. Only God knows, and she will be dealt with in the manner he sees fit. Some people don't agree with those of us that want to pray for this mother, but you can't help but to pray, this is not a daily act for Augusta to read about, or take in, this is not the ususal shooting, kidnapping, burglary, etc. these are two precious angels that had not begun to live their lives. God Bless all who are involved and related to this matter.

longliverock
longliverock 12/02/07 - 06:05 am
I hope Ms. Hawes gets the

I hope Ms. Hawes gets the help she needs. She has to live with what she did. Something was terribly wrong for this young mother to snap like this. I hope the family finds some answers soon. You are in my prayers. God Bless.

sliique
sliique 12/02/07 - 07:10 am
I, for one, wish I could

I, for one, wish I could express it as good as you did, GNicole. Kudos to you.

I am glad to see, on here anyway, that race isn't a factor. It saddens me to see that moronic, distasteful concept applied to so many, many news items here. The pathetic thing is, that concept is MISapplied in those instances.

I, for one, will be donating money to those children's Burial Fund, tomorrow.

MR.Kojak
MR.Kojak 12/02/07 - 07:40 am
What is it that you mean

What is it that you mean GNicole "a society that denounces guilt" before people have a chance to prove otherwise? Surely, you are not trying to imply that she is not guilty of taking her childrens life are you? What if it had been your children she killed? Would you still be seeking true justice for a person in a society that denounces guilt until a person has a chance to prove otherwise? Three people went into that bathroom, and only one came out unharmed, and that was a murderer....She, like Susan Smith in Carolina, and that Monster in Texas that drowned her children should all be given the death sentence. I'm sorry that I don't subscribe to your "lets wait to find out why she did it attitude", because I don't care why she did, I know she did it, and that is inexcusible. She was not mother, she was a monster!

LOLorCRY
LOLorCRY 12/02/07 - 07:54 am
Where is the father in this

Where is the father in this picture????

Art
Art 12/02/07 - 08:13 am
Every way I look at this it

Every way I look at this it is just crazy

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 08:24 am
I'm tired of hearing about

I'm tired of hearing about it.

thisnthat
thisnthat 12/02/07 - 08:34 am
The legacy of this tragedy

The legacy of this tragedy should be that we all take a closer look at single moms who are struggling to provide for their children. You never know what is going onin the hearts and minds of people. You can not help Jordan and Shakayla now, they are in Gods hands. We can however help other children, if we will only take our heartbreak and outrage and turn it into a motivation to get involved. There are so many parents and children struggling this time of year and all year long. As a community, we can support them, emotionally and financially, so maybe next time we can prevent this from happening.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 08:44 am
Well, now she spoiled them to

Well, now she spoiled them to death.

bulldog24
bulldog24 12/02/07 - 08:47 am
God has two new precious

God has two new precious angels,we never understand why thing like this happens all we can do is pray for the family and these little angels.

ejchopper
ejchopper 12/02/07 - 09:21 am
We hear a lot from the news

We hear a lot from the news media about these senseless killings in our country, but what they don’t make known to us is what type of medication were these mothers on when they committed these unbelievable acts. Were they on prescription medication? Some anti-depression medications cause people to want to commit suicide. Furthermore, most people are given psychotic medications without psychotherapy. It is cheaper to insurance companies to have doctors prescribe medicine to their patients, than to have them work out their problems with a therapist. Just taking anti-depressants does not get to the core of the problem that caused that depression in the first place. Emotional and social health professionals need to become more available to people in this country. There are many people who are suffering with no sense of hope.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 09:30 am
Mr.Kojak, I agree with you.

Mr.Kojak, I agree with you. she is no mother. she is a monster.All those people looking for excuses for her would be dancing to a different tune if it were their kids or grandkids she killed.I don't care why she did it.

aintryt
aintryt 12/02/07 - 09:36 am
You recently heard about the

You recently heard about the tragic incident with the Hawes Kids in the gas station on Thursday...Prayers go out to the friends and family involved with this situation....

Masterkutz is holding a cookout on Sunday for the family to raise money for the funeral so the Hawes children can have a proper burial..

Masterkutz is as so going to cut hair all day on Sunday and will donate all monies to the Hawes family..

It will take place in front of Masterktz.(2242 Lumpkin Rd..next door to the gas station the incident occurred)..Barber will be on duty @ 9o'clock in the morning and will last until enough money is raised to help the family...

PLEASE COME OUT AND SUPPORT THIS EVENT.. If you are not able to make it please tell everyone else to come out...PLEASE

september 5th
september 5th 12/02/07 - 09:36 am
ms helen blocker adams...the

ms helen blocker adams...the funeral is set for wednesday..the cost has already been determined...the children are dead and will not benefit from a memorial...instead of taking up money (that might get you in trouble later if anyone claims that you misappropriated the funds) -why not state the exact dollar amount needed to reimburse willie mays and ask local businesses to contribute just the amount needed! also where is the father, the paternal and maternal grandparents?

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 12/02/07 - 09:37 am
That picture of her holding

That picture of her holding them and smiling spooks me.

september 5th
september 5th 12/02/07 - 09:38 am
by the way the richmond

by the way the richmond county board of education needs to have a talk with the aunt who stated that she had seen ms hawes walking up and down the street on thursday and if she had known she would have picked her up! this lady supervisors needs to speak to her about a statement like that! the bus does not belong to her and she should not let anyone ride that is not authorized to do so! as i have previously stated: THE FAMILY NEEDS TO SHUT UP!

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 09:47 am
The aunt said that if she had

The aunt said that if she had know what was going to happen, she would have picked the kids up. To save a life you would not help?

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 09:48 am
So don't tell that aunt to

So don't tell that aunt to shutuo!

september 5th
september 5th 12/02/07 - 09:52 am
rose, the aunt was driving a

rose, the aunt was driving a "school bus" would you want this mother with a steak knife on the bus with school kids? maybe the aunt should have called the police or dfacs! and yes she and all the family needs to shut-up! the time for talking was when they noticed this ms hawes losing her job and acting strange and mabe even when she was sexually active and unmarried!

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/02/07 - 09:54 am
If each of us works on

If each of us works on getting the log out of our own eye, we may then be able to see what is blocking the eye of our neighbor.

Jennifer30907
Jennifer30907 12/02/07 - 09:54 am
There are county mental

There are county mental helath programs, support groups, etc. I'm so sick and tired of hearing that people have no where to turn. That's cr**. If your so disgusted with your life, kill yourself not innocent children. As someone that has been diagnosed and treated, it just ticks me off when I see stuff like this and people start making excuses. I knew something was wrong with me and I was adult enough and had enough common sense to get help before I hurt myself. My meds are expenseive but my doctor works with me to make sure I'm getting the meds I need. This woman is a monster. If her family was so concerned about her mental health, why didn't they do something about it?

RealMan
RealMan 12/02/07 - 09:55 am
I read a comment that the

I read a comment that the mother once complained that, "Why is God punishing me?" "I can't get ahead." Like her kids were holding her back. My thing is....those kids didn't ask to be here. She laid down and had sex with a dead beat dad, not those kids.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/02/07 - 09:58 am
Yep, Spoiled them to death.

Yep, Spoiled them to death.

nextstep
nextstep 12/02/07 - 09:59 am
My god two children are gone!

My god two children are gone! Stop all the hate mail and can we all for once in our life say this has affected the whole community and we need to pray for the family. No need in bashing the aunts, uncles, grandmother or anyone close to this situation. The community as a whole has felt the pain of this tragic situation. If you want to help with funeral services give Mr. Mays a call. We may never know what happen we should be looking for solutions to ensure this never happens in our community again. Plus take time to pray for the family and count your blessings.

get.the.beam.out
get.the.beam.out 12/02/07 - 10:01 am
Ya'll better listen to

Ya'll better listen to nextstep.

Rose
Rose 12/02/07 - 10:05 am
december, I meant her picking

december, I meant her picking up the kids, not the killer.

chey
chey 12/02/07 - 10:14 am
december 2nd needs to shut

december 2nd needs to shut up. Does the Aunt EVER say that the bus was full of kids. I've seen the news reports and it never states that. So the Aunt does not need to shut up. December 2nd needs to get a heart. I don't think the bus was full of kids, i think it was an empty bus, otherwise she wouldn't have stopped and talked to her.