- Be especially attentive from sunset to midnight and during the hours shortly before and after sunrise.
- Drive with caution when moving through areas known to have a large deer population and in areas where roads divide agricultural fields from forestland.
- Deer seldom run alone. If you see one, others might be nearby.
- At night, use high beams when there is no oncoming traffic. It will better illuminate the eyes of deer near the road.
- Slow down and blow your horn with one long blast to frighten the deer away.
- Brake firmly when you notice a deer in or near your path, but stay in your lane. Many crashes occur when drivers swerve to avoid a deer and hit another vehicle.
l Do not rely on devices such as deer whistles, deer fences and reflectors. These devices have not been proven to reduce accidents.
- If you strike a deer, do not touch the animal. A frightened and wounded deer can be further injured or hurt you. Get your car off the road and call 911.
- Contact your insurance agent to report any damage to your car. Hitting an animal is covered under your auto policy.
Source: Columbia County Emergency Management Agency
SHOPPING EXTRAVAGANZA: All day, all shops in downtown Warrenton, Ga., as part of First Saturday activities.
TOUR OF HOMES: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; held by Warren County (Ga.) Historical Society; $20; tickets available at Fulghum-Carr Drug Co. or by calling (706) 465-0677.
BLACK SANTA AT THE LANEY MUSEUM: 9 a.m. to noon, Lucy Craft Laney Museum, 1116 Phillips St.; brunch and photos with Santa; Christmas carols; call Erica or Emily at (706) 724-3576.
AQUINAS HIGH SCHOOL ONE-ACT PLAYS: 7:30 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday, Augusta Preparatory School, Hull Fine Arts Center, 285 Flowing Wells Road; series of one-act plays; The Tooth Hurts, Lessons in Fear, To Burn a Witch and The Diary of Adam and Eve; $7 adults; $5 others, $3 Aquinas students; (706) 736-5516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHRISTMAS CRAFT SHOW: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., H. Odell Weeks Activity Center, 1700 Whiskey Road, Aiken.
BMX RACE: 6 p.m. registration, 7:30 p.m. race begins, Division Street; NBL race; www.augustabmx.com or Philip Hart, (706) 592-5404.
CELEBRATION OF CHRISTMAS: 4 p.m., Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 902 Hitchcock Drive, Aiken; musical concert; free; the Rev. Gerald Reiter, (803) 649-6417.
CHRISTMAS PARADE: 3 p.m., Georgia Avenue, North Augusta; (803) 279-9873.
BOOK FAIR, HANUKKAH BAZAAR: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Augusta Jewish Community Center, 898 Weinberger Way, Evans; R.S.V.P. for lunch; with author Cathy Fishman; members $5, guests $5; (706) 228-3636.
FAMILY AND FRIENDS FELLOWSHIP: 3 p.m., Greater Love Baptist Church, 1010 Summer St.; with the Rev. Kenny Elder and Lithonia Baptist Church, of Warrenton, Ga.; musical guest, Pop and Mom Elder and the Elder Family Singers, Elder Kenny Turk and the Turk Family Singers, and the Rev. Benjamin Ryans and the Ryans Family Singers; the Rev. R.C. Herrington, (706) 306-2755.
REQUIEM BY GABRIEL FAURÃ: 3:30 p.m., Sacred Heart Cultural Center, 1301 Greene St.; with choirs from Grace United Methodist Church, St. John's United Methodist Church and Church of Our Redeemer, accompanied by organ and harp; guest conductor will be Dr. Robert Fort, a retired choral director of Stetson University; an offering will be taken to support children living with AIDS.