Give us some of that old-time religion

Instead of Jesus doing a miracle for us, let's do a miracle for Jesus.

Let's go back to about the 1940s or 1950s. Remember how a church service was then? Remember how we sang the old hymns that brought tears to our eyes, and how the choir would sing an old hymn that would give you such a desire to hear God's word that you like to open the Bible and tell the congregation about the saving grace of God?

Remember how the preacher would preach on hell and the sin that sends us there? Remember how someone would go down to the altar weeping, and someone would go down and pray with them? Remember how we would raise our hands to heaven and rejoice with the angels because someone asked Jesus to come into his or her heart? ...

Later, not only did the church change, but many people changed with it. This opened the door to the American Civil Liberties Union, judges, politicians and the media.

Now -- don't pray, don't say Jesus. Some people are more concerned about Christ being taken out of Christmas, instead of telling loved ones and friends why Christ will always be in Christmas.

One miracle we can do for Jesus is to turn away from the ways of the world and pray for a real revival. Preachers can stop preaching what people want to hear, and preach about hell and the sin that will send us there. No more contemporary church services, no more contemporary music, no more contemporary dress. More coats and ties, and more pretty dresses or slacks for our teens and young people.

Sound crazy? Perhaps, but we should love to hear preaching against sin. We should pray for an old-time church service or revival in an old-fashioned way. This is the only way we will ever see change in the world today and tomorrow.

Bobby Rawls, Grovetown

wavelandtransplant
wavelandtransplant 12/01/07 - 04:16 am
Goodness, that brings back

Goodness, that brings back memories of my church going days of my youth. Our church was a haven and lovely place to be. My pastor died recently, but his love lingers on.

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 12/01/07 - 04:58 am
Mr. Rawls, Maybe you're going

Mr. Rawls, Maybe you're going to the wrong church. Jesus is alive and well at Calvary Chapel.

soldout
soldout 12/01/07 - 08:46 am
Amen Bobby; our country and

Amen Bobby; our country and people don't seem to do as well today as they did then. When Jesus becomes the biggest thing in our life our other problems get very very small.

dani
dani 12/01/07 - 08:54 am
Mr, Rawls you are so right.

Mr, Rawls you are so right. What good memories I have of people actually praising God..

justus4
justus4 12/01/07 - 09:24 am
Yes, Some do remember how all

Yes, Some do remember how all decent jobs went to whites... Remember how blacks paid taxes, but received no benefit for their monies. Remember how white kids spit from a school bus, at my mother who was walking the daily two-mile trip to school. (Her taxes help pay for the bus) Remember how blacks could not cast a vote, but the government had sworn to it over a HUNDRED years earlier. Remember how lynchings in the town square had a religious feeling for some. (Where was the "rule of law" white, God-fearing christians people?) The article talks about remembering the good 'ol days of religion. Well, in my opinion those men/women from the 40s & 50s, singing with their mouth and "hating" in their hearts are now in a warm place. Yes some do remember but nothing like what this article is about.

shivas
shivas 12/01/07 - 09:27 am
I believe most of the fault

I believe most of the fault with the church has been it's interest in money and televangelism. The hypocrisy is in our face everyday on television. Oral Roberts, Bakker, Swaggert, Haggard and on and on.

ConcernedAmerican
ConcernedAmerican 12/01/07 - 10:02 am
Mr Rawls and The_Last_Word, I

Mr Rawls and The_Last_Word,
I can relate to that experience because I grew up in that true Christian context. Those were good days and I thank the Lord for them because that is how I gave my life to the Lord. Today, whatever may be the worship, praise, and preaching style, the issue is whether the Christian Church today is still a bridge to helping people become born-again Christian believers who live according to God's will as found in the Bible. A Church or Body of Christ that is salt and light in the world. If a Church, no matter how good the services are, is not fulfilling the Great Comission by helping people to become Christian Disciples then that Church is not really a Biblical, New Testament Church that Jesus Christ founded. The world (non-believers) are doing just exactly what we should expect and that is they are sinning. But the key question is whether or not the Church is being what God intended it to be and that is a Body of Christian Believers that help people know God and help people to become Disciples of Christ.

ConcernedAmerican
ConcernedAmerican 12/01/07 - 10:08 am
justus, I was just a child in

justus,
I was just a child in the 50's and I know for a fact that my parents never expressed any hate or prejuidice toward any one of a different color or cultue. I thank the Lord for that inheritance of equal treatment of all people. However, I do believe there were those who had hatred toward others because of their differences. They were wrong and that was sin. Today, I pray for a Church where all people of all cultures, colors, and languages can worship together in true Christian Love the True and Living God has called man to change and become like Jesus Christ.

daddyfrog1
daddyfrog1 12/01/07 - 10:50 am
Justus4,I was born in the

Justus4,I was born in the 40's, grew up in the 50's & 60's. I was not taught to hate or mistreat African-Americans. I remember segregation very well, and I used to question some of my Sun. school teachers about it. I don't think they liked seeing me coming sometimes. Anyway, people change. They finally see the "Light". The Light being Christ. Those people who did those things are getting their just reward. But my brother if you get caught up in that same hate, if you can't forgive; you'll end up no better than them. Jesus said," How can you say you love God whom you can't see & hate your brother whom you can see ?"

soldout
soldout 12/01/07 - 11:23 am
White or black can be a

White or black can be a member of a chosen race, a royal priesthood according to the Word. Christ is the common ground. We are to hate sin not the sinner. Each one of us can choose our reaction to what was done to us and walk is victory or defeat. No man can take that from you. God doesn't bless anyone according to their needs or how bad they have been treated but according to their faith in him. We are all without excuse.

gcap
gcap 12/01/07 - 11:30 am
Justus4 makes a good point.

Justus4 makes a good point. So do the others. Seems to me the common thread among these blogs is the past. Some want to return to the past with more good old time religion. Justus4 condemns the past for the wrongs that his people endured. There's one unmistakable fact, though. We cannot change the past. But we can erase the past in our hearts through forgiveness, the main lesson of the entire bible. Imagine how good it could be if Justus4 and the others embraced, prayed, and went to work to improve life for all.

concernednative
concernednative 12/01/07 - 12:24 pm
There are churches that have

There are churches that have the same feel today.

Bizarro
Bizarro 12/01/07 - 12:37 pm
I'm all for moving forward

I'm all for moving forward and not living in the past. The majority of Americans profess to be Christian so this is a christian country that christians allowed to develop the way it is. Our society and culture are our reflection not some alien inhabitant. There are two faces of Christianity-those who want Christianity a religion of events on Sundays and holidays, and those who want a relationship with God and inevitably the Holy Spirit changes them through the process. The former believes in a dead god and the later believes in a living God. I didn't believe in any god till my late forties, so I have no fond childhood memories as reported. I always thought the faithful were either weak minded or insane.

jiclemens
jiclemens 12/01/07 - 01:20 pm
One doesn't have to look much

One doesn't have to look much beyond this letter to know Augusta is still quite stuck in the 50's, Mr. Rawls can still attend his KKK or John Birch meetings, life is Leave It to Beaver, and the hypocricy is more rampant now than ever.

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 12/01/07 - 01:52 pm
Justus - isnt it funny how

Justus - isnt it funny how many of our white friends are so quick to respond to your comments in defense - the guilt of the past has them so quick to respond to you isolating themselves and their families from the terrible truth of this nation's past via what our people endured during the 40s and 50s. Im sure they speak the truth of their families not taking part of Jim Crow, but I guarantee you they didnt do anything to stop it, nor defend our people! Watch out - I feel a "some-of-my-best-friends-were-black" response uh-comin!!!!!

gehjgh
gehjgh 12/01/07 - 04:39 pm
In Gods eyes there is no

In Gods eyes there is no color.We are all Gods children.

The_Last_Word
The_Last_Word 12/01/07 - 05:26 pm
InJustus4 & a few other

InJustus4 & a few other revisionists appear to lay the blame for bigotry on Christians. Admittedly some people who attended church kept slaves, hated Blacks, & did what they could to prevent desegregation. But was this a Christian movement? The Apostle Paul, inspired by God, encouraged Christians who owned slaves to treat them as brothers & actually encouraged a slave owner to release his slave. In those days a slave was in servitude for only a certain time period - not for life like the American or British experience. Slavery ended in Britain almost single-handedly through the actions of one man: William Wilberforce, a White Evangelical Christian. Slavery ended in America only because Christians (& Republicans) forced the issue. The Civil Rights movement was led by Christians (Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr & many Black & White Christians) & Republicans. If a Christian hates Black people or people of any race (or any people at all), he is not being true to His God. God says, "If you cannot love a brother you can see, how will you love a God you cannot see?" Hating & Christianity simply do not mix. Don't confuse people who go to church with Christians - not necessarily the same thing.

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.