Don't stifle church's needed expansion

As a Catholic for Christ, I am compelled to speak against those who are determined to do the will of Satan by insisting they are concerned for the preservation of a landmark.

The building is St. Mary Help of Christians Church in Aiken. Our church is in need of expansion, not destruction, as a few misguided parishioners are trying to make others believe.

Although our church is growing, we cannot afford to maintain two parishes. It seems these people prefer to show their need for materialism over the actual worshipping of God by Catholics who put God first. They also seem to have the need to show their power, prestige and wealth.

St. Mary's should be a church to worship in, for the glory of God, not one to be used as a showpiece of man's need for power to control others.

The expansion of St. Mary's will match the existing structure, inside and out. It is shameful and sinful that these people would use the landmark code in the act of using God to condone their own selfish needs.

Their actions of disrupting the desire of others wanting to worship the Lord in church rather than on a basketball court shows how much they prefer the material world more than the spiritual unity of all parishioners.

St. Mary's should have never been put in control of a few who would keep so many from worshipping God as a whole.

While I believe in keeping the beauty of St. Mary's intact, I do not believe the expansion would destroy. It would be done in the name of God, while the actions of a few parishioners is being done for the want of man.

For most of us the Holy Trinity is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. But for others, there are those in this world, and yes, even at St. Mary's, whose Holy Trinity is the power, the wealth and the prestige.

Chandler S. Vincent, Aiken, S.C.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/07 - 08:24 am
"Do the will of Satan" by not

"Do the will of Satan" by not wanting a beautiful and historic church to be altered? "Sinful?" You need to find youself a Holy Roller Church made out of tin with a tent out back and rant about all the Satan followers in an unknown tongue.

dani
dani 12/01/07 - 09:58 am
Riverman..I am stunned. How

Riverman..I am stunned. How can you call these people Satan followers. There are tons of real-life Christians going to these services. I went on occasion when I was a small child and it was a wonderful thing. I take it you are not a reader of the Holy Bible.

The Knave
The Knave 12/01/07 - 10:19 am
It seems that Mr. Vincent is

It seems that Mr. Vincent is concerned that the Talking Snake is going to overpower the Sky Daddy, and that the miserable sin-filled refuse known as humans must come to the aid of the Sky Daddy. How can this be?? "Power, wealth and prestige" are a more rationale construct of a trinity then are mythological figures such as Sky Daddy, Son of Sky Daddy, and Ghost of Sky Daddy. And where in this controversy is Mary, the blessed mother of Sky Daddy, or Son of Sky Daddy, or both? That 3=1 and 1=3 thing is pretty confusing. I guess I need a priestly figure to explain it to me. I say, bring back the "old time religion" -- Zeus, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Helios, Apollo, Juno and Nike (Isn't it a terrible thing that god's name has been put on smelly sneakers?).

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/07 - 12:25 pm
DDawn, uh, you are a little

DDawn, uh, you are a little confused there. It was the letter writer calling people Satan followers and sinful because they don't want the historic church to be altered. I think he is rather silly and sad at the same time.

dani
dani 12/01/07 - 01:31 pm
Riverman1 Sorry if I

Riverman1 Sorry if I misunderstood, I thought it was you disparaging the 'Holy-Roller Church' and talking in tongues.

Fiat_Lux
20452
Fiat_Lux 12/01/07 - 01:58 pm
Mr. Vincent is justifiably

Mr. Vincent is justifiably upset that the powerful few are preventing the logical, normal and organic growth of St. Mary's parish life. The controvery centers on what is most important to the parish: their life as brothers and sisters in Christ, or the historically valuable building originally intended to house their worship. Buildings have never been more important than the community of believers, and shouldn't be in this particular case either. It is quite possible to expand even very old buildings and remain completely faithful to the historic look and identity. The more important question for every one of the people who have any power, control or influence in this decision is this: What is it that God wants for this parish?

iletuknow
iletuknow 12/01/07 - 04:34 pm
These church expansions are

These church expansions are nothing more than tax fiddles for the much absued non-profit organizations. I say start taxing them like the rest of us and these fiddles will stop.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/07 - 06:31 pm
Ddawn, nah, I would never

Ddawn, nah, I would never call the folks at St. Marys Holy Rollers. Nor would I call them Satan worshipers and sinful like Mr. Vincent did. I'll toot the horn when I drive by the tent for you.

HillGuy
HillGuy 12/02/07 - 12:18 am
Does the Chronicle make this

Does the Chronicle make this stuff up? I mean, really.. I know Augusta is a small city and rather small-minded, but the continuous parade of absurdity in the opinions pages of the Chronicle simply amazes me.