3 arrested as printer is returned

Police say three people wanted some easy money, but instead they gave authorities an easy catch.

Chatman  Special
Special
Chatman

Police arrested the three Wednesday evening after a Harlem man reportedly tried to return a printer to Target on Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway with fake printed money inside the machine.

A clerk told police she was checking the package returned by Michael Jerome Chatman, 35, of Harlem, when she saw a piece of paper inside the printer. On it were copies of a $20 and $10 bill, according to a Richmond County sheriff's report.

Police say Mr. Chatman quickly grabbed the printer and ran from the store but was stopped by a Richmond County deputy outside. Police arrested Diamond Tiara Green, 30, and Kotto Yaphet Green, 24, both of the 3300 block of Jonathan Circle, and Mr. Chatman on charges of second-degree forgery, the report says. Upon frisking Mr. Chatman, police found a real $20 bill that they said matched the copy inside the printer.

Anita Hopson, an investigator in the sheriff's technical crimes division, said it's rare to catch individuals in the process of making money. However, she said, crooks sometimes forget to cover their tracks.

"People get wrapped up in the crime, and they forget things," Investigator Hopson said. "In this situation it was just stupidity."

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Comments (30776)

ohhsweetconcord
ohhsweetconcord 09/29/07 - 01:57 pm

I've got to ask...why New Age

I've got to ask...why New Age music? I don't want my children to be listening to that devil woman Enya.

mgroothand
mgroothand 09/29/07 - 02:02 pm

bone: the IQ test you

bone: the IQ test you referred to should first be applied to the politicians or wannabes. A driver's license is a picture ID in all fifty states and will likely be the most acceptable. However a driver's license can be obtained by most anyone, citizen and non-citizens. Only citizens can vote!

NoFortunateSons
NoFortunateSons 09/29/07 - 02:12 pm

I am the lady that advocated

I am the lady that advocated for "Our Veteran". For about 80 hours in 10 days I used my computer to contact politicans who never responded.

The mashall Steve Smith was not around when the eviction occured and granted, things were in the hallway, but were intransition to the outdoors...

In 1980 I worked as a Deputy Sheriff and, in addition to warrants, I provided security for evictions. There was no marshall present for the eviction.

I would love to have access to the Sheriff of our county, but there is no email available for him...And my computer, as a disabled person, is how I communicate...so I'm excluded...If I make phone calls or visit in person, I can't read the notes I keep.

The Godfather
The Godfather 09/29/07 - 02:12 pm

Tell it like it is knows

Tell it like it is knows better!!

jade
jade 09/29/07 - 02:18 pm

pt, if we were to assume my

pt, if we were to assume my information contained a left-wing bias, we would also have to assume your information contains a right-wing bias. the trick is to sift thru all the bs from both sides, but for some reason, my bs dectector goes off more frequently when i hear the rhetoric coming from the right. the notion that "it would be worse" if we had not invaded - that logic simply evades me. worse for whom? certainly not for the iraqis. bone, you wanted me to read that article which made an excellent case that iraqis are not better off now, and now you claim they are? but wait, that's right, iraqis don't matter. it's the AMERICANS who matter. ok, so 3,800 dead soldiers is better? perhaps i'm not thinking longitudinally enough - ultimately we have prevented another attack and potentially saved countless more lives, right? do you really think we've prevented another terrorist attack by invoking further the ire of muslims worldwide? we are al queda's best recruiting tool! you think violence will force them into submission. it may have worked with japan, but by your own admission, islamic radicals refuse to listen to reason. what makes you think violence is the answer?

bone
bone 09/29/07 - 02:31 pm

mgroothand, i couldn't agree

mgroothand, i couldn't agree with you more. who would have run in the last election, though? i don't think kerry + bush would = half a brain.

jade
jade 09/29/07 - 02:32 pm

voting should be limited to

voting should be limited to those people between the ages of 18 and 30. alright, so maybe that's not quite fair, but it would in fact lower the percentage of "idiots" voting. if you look at the polls, we are much less likely to take idiotic positions against evolution or gay marriage b/c we are not steeped in ridiculous tradition.

Jillian
Jillian 09/29/07 - 02:41 pm

pcorrect, I sincerely hope

pcorrect, I sincerely hope you will receive your wallet back. Getting new ID is 1 ROYAL pain. I've had it happen to me twice, and NEVER carry my ss card and other important stuff all in 1 wallet anymore.

I don't understand why people don't just send the ID stuff back cod....I wasn't worried about the money either, but losing pictures of my deceased family members, and my ID hurt really bad.

skyes_mommy
skyes_mommy 09/29/07 - 02:44 pm

Well, let me put all of the

Well, let me put all of the speculations to rest. Being the wife of the deceased it sickens and sadens me to have to read some of the views.

triptobountiful
triptobountiful 09/29/07 - 02:49 pm

I don't know about the naked

I don't know about the naked lady pictures, but I'm sure tired of talk on r&r of bras, bust size, chest parts, and people asking how's your chest doing. TMI. There are so many other national and international subjects that could be discussed. I think more older people should post comments too.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/29/07 - 02:51 pm

lone ranger---I have a hard

lone ranger---I have a hard time letting that little mongrel off the hook. Excuse my audacity for the truth. Hehe.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/29/07 - 02:54 pm

tripto -- there is no way of

tripto -- there is no way of telling how old the ones that post here are -- but from the way it reads -- they cover a large age range!!!!

SunDown
SunDown 09/29/07 - 02:57 pm

firegirl1... there are those

firegirl1... there are those postings that are harsh, unresonable, ignorant, and like you said sickening, but not all of them. I'm sure that you understand that not everyone shares those types of views. I'm sure there are literally thousands of folks that have read this string that feel your pain, especially those that have suffered similar sitations. There are no words in this world that will comfort your family right now. I've been through a similar sitiation and at the time it didn't even seem real, it was so hard to even believe. There were two things that helped me get by; the love of my family (reach to them) and the knowledge that even the worst of storms subside. Ignore the crap and love and depend on your family. I wish you the very best.

SFCnotretyet
SFCnotretyet 09/29/07 - 02:58 pm

NANF is WRONG! It is

NANF is WRONG! It is estimated that between 70% and 80% of the oxygen
in the atmosphere is produced by marine plants. Specifically Algae, so lets go cut down some trees this weekend!

skyes_mommy
skyes_mommy 09/29/07 - 02:58 pm

seven- Thank you very much.

seven- Thank you very much.

1234urdumb
1234urdumb 09/29/07 - 03:09 pm

We din't know what

We din't know what happen,right now the fmily of these two young men need our prayer's and I will be praying for the family.
We are so quick to judge and don't know what happen. no words of the young man family is enought to take away the pain they are going throught right only the comfort of the Lord will easy their pain. So please keep you neg. comments.my heart and prayers goes out to this family.

jack234
jack234 09/29/07 - 03:22 pm

Read this: And you can't

Read this: And you can't spell. What is noone? Dropped out and jealous?

jack234
jack234 09/29/07 - 03:24 pm

Look like two reasons were

Look like two reasons were enough!!!!!!!!!

soldout
soldout 09/29/07 - 03:29 pm

Bizarro I can tell you are

Bizarro I can tell you are solid and your security, like mine, is in Christ and not having to be right all the time but staying teachable and growing each day. This stuff I am learning about frequency and the electrical part of the body is making the Word grow even more alive and powerful than ever. Just the simple verse that says "lay hands on the sick"; why not touch with a 12 inch stick or stand them under a tree; there is a reason for everything in the Word says and we learn as we go.

dani
dani 09/29/07 - 03:30 pm

Ridiculous tradition? Oh my.

Ridiculous tradition? Oh my. Stop, Think about what you are saying. That statement is not very smart.!!

john
john 09/29/07 - 03:33 pm

Its sad that actual cases of

Its sad that actual cases of discrimination are lost due to bs arguements like this one. Saying anything you dont like is racist has become the arguement of the weak, while real racism gets lost in the crowd. Voting is a right and should be a duty as a citizen. You should to what you can to be able to participate. Local government attempts to make it even easier for the public in case you have a conflict pub. The day the polls are open is not a holiday and some people travel for work pub. Absentee ballots are a great way for our local warriors who are overseas to participate. Helped me in that case once. 18-30? Come on. I would imagine a issues poll at ASU (or any college) would quash that idea. And those are the smart college kids.

dani
dani 09/29/07 - 03:36 pm

There are safeguards in place

There are safeguards in place for absentee voters. Try it in this election and see what is required of you. It is not easy.__
_____
I think some people fail to understand that before you go and present your valid ID, you have to register. I get the idea that these posters against showing an ID have never registered or cast a ballot. If so, we wouldn't see these senseless remarks.

cornerback08
cornerback08 09/29/07 - 03:41 pm

Hold Glenn Hills winning

Hold Glenn Hills winning state get real... we aint gona be crying.... those two things yall need to improve on home boy!!!

indacourt
indacourt 09/29/07 - 03:42 pm

Cross Creek could win the

Cross Creek could win the state championship and STILL will not make the front page of the sports section. I guess since most of these schools Cross Creek, Butler, Hephzibah, etc. are in the so called "hood", they don't want to ruin the Chronicle's reputation.

misfit
misfit 09/29/07 - 03:54 pm

Man I am so disappointed.

Man I am so disappointed. Come on Musketeers we need to get on it and actually win one. Gaaaaahhh I don't think I am going to be rocking the purple and gold for awhile. I am glad I didn't waste my time or money going to the game

Why
Why 09/29/07 - 04:00 pm

Augusta seems to have lost

Augusta seems to have lost all interest in Braves baseball. Restaurants like Wild Wing seldom even know the game is on...and when they do show it noone seems to be watching. If you were in any other city around Georgia there would be many people gathered around watching even though they have struggled. What a shame- WAKE UP AUGUSTA, this team has a BRIGHT future- get back on the bandwagon!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/29/07 - 04:10 pm

firegirl1. You and your

firegirl1. You and your family are in our prayers and I am sorry for the depth of your loss. Mr. Safford has gone on before us, maybe our prayers will bring him more quickly to our Father's arms. Please gain strength from our prayers to help you through your grief and other emotions during this time. I hope that the pain passes and forges a new strength in you and your loved ones to help you with the needs ahead and healing bonds for your family. As families, communities, cities, states, and nations, "united we stand, divided we fall." from someone who was once a neighbor, and always, someone who cares.

bone
bone 09/29/07 - 04:13 pm

jade, why weren't you at the

jade, why weren't you at the UGA game? just kidding - last weekend wasn't as bad as it should have been (thank goodness your receivers couldn't catch or it would have been a blowout). hopefully Bama handles the 'noles this afternoon. anyway, yes, i do think we're safer; if the rest of the world isn't as safe, that is their business, not mine. anyone who can look at the middle east and say, "gee, these people will certainly be willing to help us control the radical islamic crazies and work to build a sustainable economy that can support its population" is not working with a full deck. i don't think we are al quaeda's best recruiting tool: the democratic party wins that prize hands down. i'm sure osama is hoping for another chance to catch his breath when the u.s. leaves under a democratic administration. he's probably building his army in anticipation of the havoc he'll be able to wreak once we're out of the picture.

gnx
gnx 09/29/07 - 04:23 pm

Baroness - beautifully

Baroness - beautifully stated. Resignation requests should be handed out on a fair and equal basis.

gnx
gnx 09/29/07 - 04:33 pm

Marien - put them in public

Marien - put them in public stocks so we can jeer at them maybe? Public caning? (my personal favorite) Perhaps it's time to bring back the ultimate punishment - humiliation. A little bit of embarrassment goes a long way. Maybe if younger kids see what kind of ill treatment they're in for later on in life if they want to misbehave they'll take note and behave in order to avoid such a negative experience. Back when we were growing up we'd behave our absolute best to keep teachers from singling us out for bad behavior and making us stand in front of the class to be stared at. If the little gang bangers (and other criminals) want to commit crimes against society let them receive their punishment in front of society and not tucked safely behind bars with free room, board and cable TV. I'm sorry, but I feel taxpayer money is better spent in helping and feeding the homeless and seniors instead of taking great care of people who never have and never will appreciate it.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.