Step One: Seek medical help. Visit a doctor if:
- Your headaches are disabling, or are bad enough to make you call in sick or miss outings with family or friends;
- They occur more than three times a month;
- You are older than 50 when you start having regular headaches. They could be caused by inflammation in the arteries leading to the brain.
Get to an emergency room if your headache is associated with vision loss in one or both eyes, a sensation of spinning, weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech or clumsiness. These could be signs of a stroke. Headaches start and become severe abruptly (in less than 10 or 15 minutes) could be a sign of bleeding in the brain.
Step Two: Identify triggers.
- Atmospheric changes (drops in barometric pressure). This type is often confused with a sinus headache.
- Certain foods, including yellow or ripened cheeses, preserved meat, red wine or chocolate
- Poor sleep habits or skipping meals. These are common among young women in their childbearing years.
Source: Dr. J. Ned Pruitt, Medical College of Georgia Neuroscience Center
GROVETOWN LIONS CLUB TURKEY SHOOT FUNDRAISER: 6 p.m.; on Old Louisville Road, in Grovetown; $3 per shot for a chance to win a turkey and other items; concession stand available.
AMERICAN LEGION POST 192 STEAK DINNER: 7-9 p.m.; Legion Drive off Owens Road, in Evans; (706) 863-8728.
COLUMBIA COUNTY CHAMBER CONFERENCE: 11:30 a.m.; Belair Conference Center; $20 for members, $25 for nonmembers, and includes lunch; for reservations, call (706) 651-0018, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
AMERICAN LEGION POST 63 DINNER AND DANCE: 7 p.m. dinner, 8 p.m. dance with music by Funtime; 90 Milledge Road; (706) 733-5184.
FAMILY LIFE MARRIAGE CONFERENCE: 5-9 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to noon Sunday; Augusta Marriott Hotel & Suites; $238 per couple, $119 per person; scholarships available for those in need on first-come, first-served basis; (800) 404-5052.
COOKING DEMONSTRATION: 2 p.m.; National Science Center's Fort Discovery; featuring Augusta native Angela McKellar, host of the cooking show KicK BacK and KooK!; veterans with military ID and military personnel will be admitted free; visitors can bring a minimum of two canned goods to benefit Golden Harvest Food Bank; (706) 821-0600.
GARDEN CITY BAND INVITATIONAL: 2-6 p.m., Academy of Richmond County stadium, 910 Russell St.; concession stand available; for prices, call (706) 737-7152.
A MUSICAL JOURNEY CONCERT AND DESSERT RECEPTION: 8 p.m., Adas Yeshurun Synagogue, 935 Johns Road; music from Mozart, Claude Debussy, George Gershwin, Victor Herbert and Fritz Kreisler; dessert reception (706) 733-9491.