If you are in an abusive relationship and want to get out, consider these tips from the Center for Equal Justice of South Carolina:
- Have at least two places to go.
- Find people who can help; ask someone to keep your emergency bag.
- Keep change for pay phones or get a new cell phone.
- Open a bank account or credit card in your name only.
- Plan and practice how you will leave the home safely with children and pets.
- Keep the number for a local shelter in a safe place.
In your escape kit, pack:
- House and car keys
- Clothes and any medicine
- Keepsake pictures
- Toys for children
- Important papers such as birth certificates, school and medical records, bank books, credit cards, driver's license, car registration, passports/green cards/work permits, lease agreement and mortgage payment book
- Unpaid bills
- Insurance papers
- Divorce and custody orders
- Address book
Source: Center for Equal Justice of South Carolina