Autism recovery can be within reach

Actress Jenny McCarthy is making the rounds of TV talk shows this week promoting her new book about the recovery of her son from autism. The autism community all over the country has been waiting for years to get this information to the public, and although it took a movie star to do it, we are happy it is finally in the news.

Hundreds of families have recovered their children from this devastating medical disease through biomedical treatments that often include a gluten-free, dairy-free diet, supplemented with vitamins and minerals, chelating out the toxins. These children's immune systems cannot normally eliminate the heavy metals, bacteria and viruses from their bodies.

Many of the TV hosts, with limited knowledge of the disease, are skeptical of accepting the term "recovered" - yet the truth is right out there, with videos of kids before recovery and after.

Now the most important step is for pediatricians to gain a full understanding of autism so they can help children in their own communities. There simply are not enough doctors educated in this field.

Families with affected children can see there is hope to improve the lives of their loved ones, and perhaps even recover them.

Maurine Meleck, North Augusta, S.C.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 07:32 am
Pediatricians are educated

Pediatricians are educated and they should be making these decisions. Not anectdotal nonsense. Numerous double blind studies have demonstrated that gluten-free or casein-free diets do not produce any significant changes in autism. Anectdotal reports are cruel and just spread ignorance. Hollywood hype. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment offers a better chance of success than dietary changes. My sympathies to parents but the science is just not there to really help at present.

soldout
soldout 09/28/07 - 07:56 am
I dont know about this new

I dont know about this new method but if it works; it works. A fact is a fact whether you can prove it or not. The truth is the truth, no matter who says it. Don't ever wait for a drug company to prove you don't need their drug.

The study done that shows Amish children don't have autism is a powerful one and you can draw your own conclusion there. You can probably find that info at mercola.com. NAET helps austic children and is being done now at www.ajourneytohealth.net.

Anything you ever find that is a simple solution that doesn't involve a drug will always be attacked. In every situation just follow the money to find the truth. The best in every field are only as good as their training. If there is an error in their training it takes years to turn it around. Remember at one time doctors said cigarettes were okay for you.

The Word says the Holy Spirit will lead us to all truth but every now and then we think men are smarter than God. Over the long-run that attitude never seems to work out for our good.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 08:12 am
God gave man intelligence and

God gave man intelligence and creativity. The Holy Spirit will guide us and mold us to be more like Christ. Christ made it clear he was not interested in curing sickness but forgiveness of sin. Remember he forgave the sins of the paralyetic and then cured him. "The truth is truth no matter who says it" is a scary thought indeed. What is truth? The "Word" is the "Truth"-only if you believe in the "Word". For most the truth is like the wind. If you can't prove or provide evidence for a fact it ain't much of a fact. I believe in the power of prayer and that I do offer up to families with autism. I think my faith is better placed there than with the science at present.

msitua
msitua 09/28/07 - 08:28 am
One of the reasons children

One of the reasons children are recovering from autism is because the parents have been doing the majority of the work. We call oursleves the "soldiers of autism." Along with doctors that specialize in the treatment, we are helping make the lives of our children better and in many cases recovering them Who can best know what has happened to our children than us? Nobody else was there when our child lost all language and eye contact following a day of 5 vaccines given at once. Nobody else was there to see that 2 days after starting a gluten-free, casein-free diet our child started to talk again. Call it anecdotal, call it whatever you want-if it works-we'll take it.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 09:28 am
I am not arguing it is not

I am not arguing it is not important to be involved but many cases of autism are misdiagnosed (it ain't real autism). Because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for anybody. I hate giving false hope to people just like embryonic stem cell research is all about licensing cell lines and big profits not cures. If there were any cure you can bet the biotech and drug companies would be all over it. I had a nephew who was misdiagnosed having autism, what he had was a screwed up family of his mother and father getting a divorce and other sordid matters. He displayed many of the classic symptoms of autism.

msitua
msitua 09/28/07 - 10:08 am
It is very rare when cases of

It is very rare when cases of autism are mis-daignosed, but I am sure on occasion it can happen. I am sorry that it was someone related to you. It must be difficult.
And you are so right-what works for one child may not work for another. I still have firends doing every bio-med treatment available and thier children remain non-verbal. Again, one size does not fit all. But my point is that what owrks for so many may be worth a try. Wouldn't it be better to try, because if you didn't you would never know if something helped? It is not false hope I am talking about-it is HOPE and without HOPE we may as well hang it all up right now.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 10:39 am
Well I guess many put their

Well I guess many put their faith in science and others in God. I tend to be the later than the former, so I too would try and do anything for my child. Preliminary research suggests that in some populations, missed diagnosis and misdiagnosis of ASD are common. Not all pragmatic difficulties turn out to be autism.

msitua
msitua 09/28/07 - 01:01 pm
I don't know what research

I don't know what research you are talking about, but i tend not to trust research done by the Center for Disease Control or other government run organizations because while they control the vaccine program they are at the same time the ones who oversee its safetly.
I put my faith in what works for the child to make him better.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 01:20 pm
Well there is a wealth of

Well there is a wealth of literatue if you can access the journals, but that is neither here nor there. I applaud all your efforts in dealing with autism, but I just encourage people to be cautious and don't expect a miracle from science (science doesn't believe in miracles)but you can expect one from God. My prayers are with you if you are dealing with an autistic child.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 09/28/07 - 01:37 pm
I doesn't hurt to try it!

I doesn't hurt to try it!

Chuchi
Chuchi 09/28/07 - 01:54 pm
Actually, Bizarro, Christ was

Actually, Bizarro, Christ was interested in curing sickness, because if He hadn't been, He wouldn't have cured anyone's sickness, and He cured a lot of people's sicknesses. Plus, if that were true, nobody would pray to Christ for healing miracles which do occur everyday. However, He put the primary importance upon healing people of their sinful lives and turning them back to Him. That is why He forgave the paralytic's sins first, then cured him. The health of the soul is definitely more important than the health of the body, but since we are both body and soul, God is interested in both for us since both are a gift from Him. This does not mean that illness is a curse; suffering is a blessing since we become more like Christ when we suffer. So it's okay to ask God for a healing, but be sure to thank Him for whatever He decides, even if it means you are not to be healed, because He always knows what is best for us. I am glad to hear of any treatments that help children with autism and their families. Good news --- God bless you!

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 02:37 pm
Amen ArtB. Becoming a

Amen ArtB. Becoming a christian is not an event it is a journey. God has blessed me!! That is why I know we can lift up prayers that will be answered. I find it frightening the increased incidence of autism, learning disorders and attention deficit, and GERD in kids. Makes you wonder what it going on?

Balancing Your Health
Balancing Your Health 09/28/07 - 03:54 pm
God has given us ALL the

God has given us ALL the power to heal ourself from illness, this power is harnessed in GOOD nutrition. I am also a local N.A.E.T. Advanced Practitioner with an office at 4901 Columbia Rd. Many chronic illnesses are masked as allergic reactions to the foods we eat. Dr. Devi Nambudripad is teaching the N.A.E.T. technique to ANY health professional who is interested in learning more about the mind-body connection. This Holistic approach incorporates NUTRITION as the key to GOOD HEALTH! for more info. visit www.balancingyourhealth.info There has been a book out for many years about the relationship between food allergies and autism.

bone
bone 09/28/07 - 04:07 pm
a fact is a fact whether you

a fact is a fact whether you can prove it or not? purvis, i'm not sure i can agree with you on this one.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 09/28/07 - 04:26 pm
The state of Georgia does

The state of Georgia does next to nothing to help the autistic. Remember the lady with autistic triplets who moved to south carolina to obtain help for her children?

msitua
msitua 09/28/07 - 04:49 pm
Yes, good nutrition is very

Yes, good nutrition is very important. However, children with toxic encephalitis(autism) need more help that good nutrition can provide.

msitua
msitua 09/28/07 - 04:52 pm
coalminer actually she never

coalminer
actually she never moved to SC. she got an attorney and got the state of Ga. to pay for ABA for all her kids.
and truthfully, the services now offered in SC have been about the same as those offered in Ga--except for the recent mandatory insurance law passed for aba services for children on the spectrum-beginning in July, 2008.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/28/07 - 06:48 pm
Some of my nephews are big on

Some of my nephews are big on vitamins and supplements. I remember the Heinz nutrition book and tell them that if you eat a healthy diet you don't need all them supplements. Natures way is the best way. Unrefined sugars have the chromium Glucose tolerance factor that increases insulin actions and don't forget your fruits and nuts. Lots of leafy greens. The egg is still one of natures best foods despite being a little high in cholesterol. You synthesize all your cholesterol anyways so I always wondered why dietary cholesterol was such a big deal. I often wonder why society and government treat kids and the elderly like pariahs. The future and past have a lot to offer.

rdunaway
rdunaway 09/29/07 - 07:29 am
I say for myself and myself

I say for myself and myself only that until you have walked in someones shoes, how can you judge or justify their actions? I have a grandson who after recieving his vac shots was diagnosed as autistic and is now in the custudy of the state who doesn"t know what to do for him. I do know that the federal goverment and also the med field they have their ways of covering up for their mistakes. Sure the goverment is going to c.t.a. and the medical field will too, but the people that are suffering are the children,elderly and the ones who don"t have the deep pockets{money}.I have made a pact with myself that my grandson will be back with us no matter what I have to do with getting him home. That"s the problem these days, until it hits you or your familys then there is a problem. Until then all is fine and dandy. I cryed out for help the other week about my grandson and it all fell on deaf ears and now look where he"s at, been shuffled around, not able to understand whats happening to him and missing the ones who love and miss him. Judge me if you want, but not him for something he had no control over. My email is rdunaway15@bellsouth.net and any help,direction would be welcomed.

soldout
soldout 09/29/07 - 09:12 am
Bone I had trouble at first

Bone I had trouble at first with that statement too; but we cant wait on man to prove a fact is a fact because it could be very importance to us. There are plenty of facts out there that will never be proved. Common sense and Hee Haw medicine have always been years ahead of government and science. I don't believe there are any complex answers to complex situations. The answers are always simple because God loves us and wants us to know the truth. Understanding never requires a phd but a knowledge of God's love and His desire to lead us into all truth.

soldout
soldout 09/29/07 - 09:15 am
Let's give equal time to the

Let's give equal time to the other place to find NAET treatment in the area which is www.ajourneytohealth.net. They are excellent and making progress with autistic children. NAET seems to be about 50 years ahead of normal medical treatment for anything.

Bizarro
Bizarro 09/29/07 - 01:28 pm
I love these posts because I

I love these posts because I see people know where to put their faith-in God not science. Science is good don't get me wrong, but it has created just as many problems as it has addressed,,nor does it often solve or cure problems, but generally identifies the problem. I note most physicians I meet are faithful. I've met few Ph.D.s that have faith. Both groups highly educated and intelligent I wonder what is the difference? Medicine is changing and recognizing accupuncture and unconventional methods-the mind body link is finally being appreciated. Many physicians still believe in miracles, scientist don't believe in the supernatural.