Across the area

Teacher fends off burglar with bat

An Augusta high school teacher apparently interrupted a school burglary Saturday night, chasing off a man with a baseball bat.

According to sheriff's office reports, Carol Clark, a teacher at A.R. Johnson Health Science and Engineering Magnet High School on Laney Walker Boulevard, noticed a man inside one of the school's storage units about 6 p.m.

She confronted him and even struck him in the arms with a bat she found nearby before he fled.

She told deputies several items appeared to have been taken from the storage unit, including an air pump, pencils, track shoes, track uniforms and four 10-pound hand weights.

Man faces charges in traffic death of Fort Gordon soldier

A Fort Gordon soldier killed in a Friday night traffic accident has been identified, and another driver involved in the wreck faces multiple charges.

Sgt. Kevin Wilson was killed instantly after his motorcycle collided with a pickup truck at Columbia Road and Miramar Drive in Martinez, officials said. He was assigned to the Eisenhower Army Medical Center, according to Fort Gordon spokeswoman Marla Jones.

Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said Sunday that Jason Walker, 20, of Shadowmoor Drive, was driving the Ford Ranger involved in the accident.

Mr. Walker was charged of second-degree homicide by motor vehicle, along with failure to stop at a stop sign and failure to yield while turning left, Capt. Morris said.

Two masked men rob Gordon Highway store at gunpoint

A Gordon Highway convenience store employee told sheriff's deputies two masked men holding handguns robbed her Saturday night.

The employee of the Citgo, at 1857 Gordon Highway, said the men snatched money from a cash drawer and fled.

Woman robbed outside bank while making night deposit

A Grovetown woman told deputies she was robbed Saturday night while making a night deposit at a Wachovia Bank branch at 3440 Wrightsboro Road.

The woman said an armed man approached her from the back of her car and demanded her deposit bag before running away toward Augusta Mall.

Fort Discovery opens doors for free on 'Museum Day'

Fort Discovery will participate in "Museum Day," presented by Smithsonian magazine and Hyundai Motor America on Saturday.

On Museum Day, museums and cultural institutions nationwide open their doors free of charge. But visitors must present Smithsonian magazine's Museum Day Admission Card to gain free entry. The card is available in the September issue and at www.smithsonian.com/museumdaycard. Listings and links to other participating museums' and sponsors' sites can be found at www.smithsonian.com/museumday.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/24/07 - 02:12 am
I'll bet that woman robbed

I'll bet that woman robbed while making a deposit will now consider to have another police officer or someone follow her when she makes that next deposit. I just don't understand why someone would go alone at night to a bank!!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/24/07 - 02:54 am
Hats off to the Augusta

Hats off to the Augusta teacher who took a bat to a would-be burgular. I love stories like this!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/24/07 - 04:03 am
I'm with you Deborah about

I'm with you Deborah about the woman and the night deposit. She's lucky he didn't kill her.

Reality
Reality 09/24/07 - 04:29 am
Are the police going to

Are the police going to follow everyone making a night deposit? It is a real shame that these criminals are so bold as to rob anyone at any time of the day. Too bad that teacher didn't hit the thief in the head with the bat......

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 09/24/07 - 04:45 am
About the deposit--number one

About the deposit--number one iit was probably after 10PM and she whould not do that alone. Everyone in the CSRA knows that THUGS are just watching to see what your routine is. This is common knowledge. Women get smart and be aware of your surroundings, Wait until you have someone with you or go the next day when it is safer. Same thing with walking to your car--DON'T DO IT ALONE. GET SMART!!!
Hooray for teachers. But he could have hurt her seriously. Be careful

prolifer
prolifer 09/24/07 - 05:11 am
About the teacher, don't you

About the teacher, don't you think the teacher knows too much about the inventory of a storage area? Why was no description given? And the "bat" just happened to be nearby. Now, the night depositor...maybe she should have waited until the following day but if the money had to be deposited at that time, why not call for an officer to be in the area. It only takes a moment and that's not a long time for the safety of the people of this county.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/24/07 - 05:19 am
I agree about the teacher,

I agree about the teacher, she knew a little too much.

peonynut
peonynut 09/24/07 - 05:31 am
And just why would a female

And just why would a female teacher steal track uniforms?

Reality
Reality 09/24/07 - 05:33 am
Maybe there were marked bins

Maybe there were marked bins for these items and they were empty...The teacher is paid to know too much...

prolifer
prolifer 09/24/07 - 06:20 am
peonynut, what does her being

peonynut, what does her being a female have to do with anything? Would a male not have been questioned? Females don't wear/use track uniforms? Also, did this FEMALE happen to be at the school at 6pm, happen to pass the storage unit, happen to see a theif and happened upon a bat in that area? If all these "happens" happened, how did the theif get away with all of these items? Didn't she hit him on the arms? He needed his arms to carry the missing 40 lbs of weights. Not to mention the other items. THINK. It's all called a CLUE!!!

ripjones
ripjones 09/24/07 - 07:43 am
Profiler - You are a piece of

Profiler - You are a piece of work, or something. My wife, who happens to be a teacher, was at school this weekend working on the never ending paperwork of education. Paperwork that our government thinks is necessary to educate a child. Actually, it is to cover everyone's backside when Johnny flunks out, and now the parents show up wanting to know how their 'angel' declined to the point of failure. Please get a life. If I am wrong in this case, I will personally issue you an apology on this forum. Until then, quit thinking that people who actually take a stand, are in on the crime !!!!!!

Lucy123
Lucy123 09/24/07 - 07:44 am
Maybe the teacher was the

Maybe the teacher was the track coach or some other type of coach who would know what was kept in the storage shed? That would also explain her being at the school on a Saturday possibly.

Newsreader
Newsreader 09/24/07 - 07:51 am
Come on people. There are

Come on people. There are many teachers at school on Saturday afternoon/evening. The thief may have already made trips to the storage area and returned for more. It is possible that the storage area was at the stadium, and the bat was nearby. Or the teacher saw some activity and went to investigate, taking the bat for protection. She probably caused the thief to drop what was in hand, but not the items already stashed. As for the accurate inventory, that could have come from another teacher/coach who was familiar or had a list. It is also possible that this teacher was a track coach.

Lucy123
Lucy123 09/24/07 - 07:51 am
I just looked the teacher up

I just looked the teacher up online. She teaches health and PE, so it's quite possible she's also a coach of some sort.

mgr
mgr 09/24/07 - 08:14 am
It's easy to say that the

It's easy to say that the women robbed should have been with someone else, but that just isn't reality. This is the second time within months that has happened at the same location.The first time was at the ATM which is in a bad location too start with. The bottom line is that when a criminal makes up his mind, it wouldn't matter if six people were in the car. And getting a police escort is not always going to happen.

Honden
Honden 09/24/07 - 08:19 am
That particular "drive

That particular "drive through" offers a "concealed" location. It is not as bad as it used to be before the surrounding foliage was removed. This isn't the first time that a hold up has occurred at that particular drive through.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/24/07 - 08:29 am
If I thought like profiler I

If I thought like profiler I would say the woman at the bank was IN on the robbery ................................Good for the teacher !!!!

change display name
change display name 09/24/07 - 08:36 am
Profiler watches too much tv.

Profiler watches too much tv.

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/24/07 - 09:06 am
Where is Inspecter Clouseau

Where is Inspecter Clouseau when you need him?

charles yonce
charles yonce 09/24/07 - 09:23 am
what is the hurry to get the

what is the hurry to get the deposit made at night? why not have a safe to use and deposit the money in the morning,it's just going to sit there anyway? kudos to the teacher who slugged the scumball,go for a head shot the next time.my only question is what would a teacher be doing at a school at 6 pm on a saturday? how did the thief get in?

triptobountiful
triptobountiful 09/24/07 - 09:59 am
The teacher is probably the

The teacher is probably the thief. She's there at an odd time and she knows exactly what was taken.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 10:00 am
that teacher can teach my

that teacher can teach my kids any time -- good for her!!!!

titleist
titleist 09/24/07 - 10:25 am
FIRST: It's PROLIFER, NOT

FIRST: It's PROLIFER, NOT PROFILER. NEXT: You people saying the teacher took that stuff are COMPLETE IDIOTS.., you probably have a COUSIN that steals ALL THE TIME!~ You call those "CLUES"? HA!~ I call it INVENTORY!~ That's what you do to KEEP TRACK OF YOUR STUFF. When you look down the sheet, compare it to what you have, then you know what is MISSING.., which, in THIS case, are your 11th & 17th chromosomes. You RETARDS ought to start your own Private Investigation Unit.., you can call it DIPSTICK P.I.

Lucy123
Lucy123 09/24/07 - 10:41 am
Teachers often work overtime

Teachers often work overtime and on Saturdays. Custodians have to work and keep the buildings open during these times, they're even open during holidays so teachers can get in to work if they need to. If she was the thief, it should be easy enough to prove (unless she was wearing gloves) because all teachers have their fingerprints on file with the FBI.

Rupret in the middle east
Rupret in the middle east 09/24/07 - 10:45 am
Again, I say something must

Again, I say something must be done ASAP to ROBBERS. I say Death Penalty or public Hanging. I was a store mgr and when I made bank deposit I had my 44. with me and I use military tactics every time I went to the bank. You can't always count on the police to protect you. Please change the law for the innocence peoples.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/24/07 - 11:29 am
Damn titleist easy does

Damn titleist easy does it...take your meds...ASAP

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/24/07 - 11:31 am
I think criminals should be

I think criminals should be starting to notice a backlash from good citizens, I have. I feel sorry for anyone that tries to rob my son. He won't know what hit him.

Art
Art 09/24/07 - 12:38 pm
I am wondering what is the

I am wondering what is the hurry to get the deposit made at night? My son was almost robbed at the ATM but he beat both the men up before they had a chace to get him or his money. He was lucky they did not shot him that time It was at night also. I would just be scared to go to a bank at night for anything now days.

marien
marien 09/24/07 - 01:14 pm
The teacher is the track

The teacher is the track coach of this school has been for quite sometime, she is an outstanding teacher and is always concern about her students and there well being. She probably had some equipment in her car she is also the softball coach.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/24/07 - 01:52 pm
Some companies require that a

Some companies require that a deposit be made each night after closing. I was curious....banks have cameras at the ATM's, but some don't have them at the night deposits. I wonder why that is??